Unreported Role of Medications in Mass Shootings

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 3

Unreported Role of Medications in Mass Shootings

Post by philip964 »

http://www.wnd.com/2013/01/the-giant-ga ... reporting/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The missing gap in the reporting on the Sandy Hook school shooting is the medications he was taking. Apparently this is the one item the press ignores in the reporting of mass shootings. They get the caliber, type and manufacturer of every gun, but always fail to report the psychotic medications the killer was taking or failed to take.

Considering big pharma is major advertiser on most TV stations this seems to be on purpose.

According to this article which lists each mass shooting and the medication the killer was taking or had just come off of, the omission seems that much more problematic.

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Unreported Role of Medications in Mass Shootings

Post by anygunanywhere »

philip964 wrote:http://www.wnd.com/2013/01/the-giant-ga ... reporting/

The missing gap in the reporting on the Sandy Hook school shooting is the medications he was taking. Apparently this is the one item the press ignores in the reporting of mass shootings. They get the caliber, type and manufacturer of every gun, but always fail to report the psychotic medications the killer was taking or failed to take.

Considering big pharma is major advertiser on most TV stations this seems to be on purpose.

According to this article which lists each mass shooting and the medication the killer was taking or had just come off of, the omission seems that much more problematic.
Be quiet and take your ritalin.

JK.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Heartland Patriot

Post by Heartland Patriot »

philip964 wrote:http://www.wnd.com/2013/01/the-giant-ga ... reporting/

Many of those psychoactive substances have VERY powerful effects on people...SOME of it may be positive, SOME of it may be negative...but the problem is that each person reacts a little different to these sorts of substances. Yet, the psychiatric docs seem to give them out almost like military docs giving out ibuprofen, expecting it to cure almost anything magically. I think the whole thing is almost a scandal and the media covers for it because it doesn't fit the anti-2A agenda they support and Big Pharma is a key element of the Democrat Party funding machine.

rwg3

Post by rwg3 »

Perhaps part of the reason the information is not published is due to the HIPAA rules and the information cannot be confirmed without a court order.
"Moderation is the silken string running through the pearl-chain of all virtues", Thomas Fuller

Jaguar

Post by Jaguar »

rwg3 wrote:Perhaps part of the reason the information is not published is due to the HIPAA rules and the information cannot be confirmed without a court order.
After a mass shooting a court order should be easy to obtain. :banghead:
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -- James Madison

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

Jaguar wrote:
rwg3 wrote:Perhaps part of the reason the information is not published is due to the HIPAA rules and the information cannot be confirmed without a court order.
After a mass shooting a court order should be easy to obtain. :banghead:
But you would have to want to find out.

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

Do HIPAA laws still apply after the 'patient' is dead?
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

rwg3

Post by rwg3 »

sjfcontrol wrote:Do HIPAA laws still apply after the 'patient' is dead?
I believe they do and the authority for controlling the information passes to the personal representative of the estate, but IANAL.
"Moderation is the silken string running through the pearl-chain of all virtues", Thomas Fuller

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

The police found four bottles of prescription medication, when they searched the Aurora mass shooter's apartment. The defense has objected due to his right to privacy. The names of the medication were not disclosed. But this now sounds like a potential target for the victims lawyers.

Redneck_Buddha

Post by Redneck_Buddha »

philip964 wrote:The police found four bottles of prescription medication, when they searched the Aurora mass shooter's apartment. The defense has objected due to his right to privacy. The names of the medication were not disclosed. But this now sounds like a potential target for the victims lawyers.
We sure can't open a legal can of worms on big pharma, can we? :???:

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

Redneck_Buddha wrote:
philip964 wrote:The police found four bottles of prescription medication, when they searched the Aurora mass shooter's apartment. The defense has objected due to his right to privacy. The names of the medication were not disclosed. But this now sounds like a potential target for the victims lawyers.
We sure can't open a legal can of worms on big pharma, can we? :???:
I wish someone would... I've been told that they spend more on advertising than they do on R&D. If people really are sick they'll be buying the drugs anyway so the economy of scale is the same, but the drug companies' costs would drop like a rock. Seems like they could then lower the price of their drugs (or spend more on R&D which would result in better treatment options).
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

rwg3

Post by rwg3 »

[/quote]
I wish someone would... I've been told that they spend more on advertising than they do on R&D. If people really are sick they'll be buying the drugs anyway so the economy of scale is the same, but the drug companies' costs would drop like a rock. Seems like they could then lower the price of their drugs (or spend more on R&D which would result in better treatment options).[/quote]

Actually this is not quite as simple as that. Yes most companies marketing budgets are bigger than than the R&D component. They have two different marketing aims, one to physicians and one to the public. There are usually more than one manufacturer's drug to treat a condition and the companies all fight to have their brand used. They spend money on physicians to educate them about the benefits of a particular therapy, then they spend money to get the public to ask their physicians for that medicine.
Changes made in the fairly recent past have curtailed some what the direct marketing to physicians and the abuses that occurred there. This has shifted the focus towards direct consumer pitches. You would not be imagining an increase in the number of adds you see in the media, as this area is largely unregulated.
The scary numbers involve the dollars spent on "educating" our elected public officials and supporting PACs. Therein lies fertile ground for political maneuvering.

Return to “Off-Topic”