Bang! Bang! I'm dead! :-)))

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Bang! Bang! I'm dead! :-)))

Postby DLBConductor » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:48 pm

Had a nice day wasting time visiting gun shops today. While most of the shelves were devoid of 9mm and .45 ACP ammo, I did find some CCI .22LR mini-mags at the local Academy Sports. It was on a cart waiting to be shelved. I took three of the 375-round boxes and left three boxes.

:eek6
Then I went to one of the larger local gun shops to browse. As I surveyed the nice assortment of new .45 pistols in the glass case, the customer to my right suddenly racked a Springfield .45, aimed it at my right side, and pulled the trigger. From the reaction of seeing the barrel of a .45 aimed right at me, I jumped back about two feet from the counter. If the gun had been loaded, I wouldn't be writing this thread. I could tell the guy had no idea why I jumped back. Giving a knowing look to me, the clerk quickly took the .45 away from the customer and put it back in the glass case. Neither of us said anything. I decided there were far too many crazy people in the store, so I made my exit.
:leaving

I realize that guns in a gun shop should be empty but, in my book, ALL GUNS ARE LOADED! If I do dry fire a weapon, I first ask permission, and then I CERTAINLY DON'T POINT IT AT ANOTHER CUSTOMER! I think I may just avoid visiting the gun shops until a little of the madness disappears.
:banghead:
[12/10/2011: CHL Class - 100 Written and 240 Range][01/14/2012: Plastic - 31 Days!]
[NRA Life Member][TSRA Life Member][CHL]
DLBConductor
Member
 
Posts: 114
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:30 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Bang! Bang! I'm dead! :-)))

Postby eureka40 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:44 pm

Good Lord the stupid was strong with him. Glad your still with us.
TSRA Life Memeber
eureka40
Senior Member
 
Posts: 522
Joined: Sun May 23, 2010 5:02 pm
Location: Pflugerville

Re: Bang! Bang! I'm dead! :-)))

Postby GWE Chally » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:54 pm

Not surprised, but glad you are ok.

I have noticed that with very few exceptions, when a customer is looking at a gun, their finger goes straight into the trigger guard and onto the trigger. Most are at least aware enough not to point the gun at someone, but there are (obviously) some that just don't get it. I agree, I won't be visiting any gun stores until this craziness settles down...
- Scott
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Image
GWE Chally
Member
 
Posts: 102
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:19 pm
Location: East of Dallas

Re: Bang! Bang! I'm dead! :-)))

Postby Jumping Frog » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:09 pm

DLBConductor wrote:Neither of us said anything.

Boy, I would have been very vocal and pointed in expressing my displeasure.

If people don't realize they should not step on my toes, they will continue to do so.

edited to correct typo
Last edited by Jumping Frog on Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Bob . . . NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, TFC member, JFPO member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots.
User avatar
Jumping Frog
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4713
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:13 am
Location: Klein, TX (Houston NW suburb)

Re: Bang! Bang! I'm dead! :-)))

Postby gemini » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:19 pm

#1. Safety Check. Every "Gunstore" gun, every "Gunshow"gun , every gun, every time.
Then continue to obey the gun safety rules. Guess what? No AD's, no ND's no nada.
gemini
Senior Member
 
Posts: 983
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:01 pm

Re: Bang! Bang! I'm dead! :-)))

Postby Cjwglock19 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:21 pm

We would have definitely bonded! :boxing
"You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language."

- Clint Smith
Cjwglock19
Member
 
Posts: 163
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:58 am
Location: Central texas

Re: Bang! Bang! I'm dead! :-)))

Postby jmra » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:25 pm

I was at Dallas Market Hall for a gun show with my brother a couple of years ago. We had taken some things we had purchased out to the truck and were coming back into the show when we heard a loud boom.
Turns out a vendors BIL (a CHL holder) had come through the back door to help work the table. At some point he decides to see what he can get for his EDC. He pulls out the mag and replaces it with an empty mag but fails to rack the slide and eject the round in the chamber.
Of course you know what happened next. A shopper picks up the "unloaded" gun and pulls the trigger. The .45 round went through the table and chipped a neat little hole out of the floor. Must have been a decent hollow point round because it mushroomed and stayed right there.
The vendor, BIL, and shopper were all escorted from the building by LEO.

The scary thing was my brother and I had just been at the next table 15 minutes earlier. It is a wonder no one was hurt.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member
User avatar
jmra
Senior Member
 
Posts: 8106
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:51 am
Location: Ellis County

Re: Bang! Bang! I'm dead! :-)))

Postby Divided Attention » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:03 pm

I see so many counter clerks being careful about checking the firearm is empty yet having horrid trigger finger control and muzzle control. I actually told one that if he swept me or my family with his finger on the trigger again there would be a scene. I got the "little lady I have been around guns longer than you have been alive" and a wink. I will not buy a gun from him ever and I won't deal with him when I go there. I have been very impressed with everyone else there, but this one has no respect from me other than thankful for his prior service to our country.

I see poor indexing habits from many salesmen, sad examples....
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; Psalm 144:1-2
CHL - 2010; RSO - 2011
NRA Pistol Instructor 2013
Lifetime NRA Member 2013
User avatar
Divided Attention
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1129
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:03 pm

Re: Bang! Bang! I'm dead! :-)))

Postby AndyC » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:22 am

DLBConductor wrote:...the customer to my right suddenly racked a Springfield .45, aimed it at my right side, and pulled the trigger

Some very annoyed Gaelic would have been heard, had that been me; I'd have had little shame in putting that man in his place, right sharpish.
Remember Kitty Genovese

Image

Amateurs skip safety-checks - pros don't.

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club
User avatar
AndyC
Senior Member
 
Posts: 6341
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:34 pm
Location: Euless, TX

Re: Bang! Bang! I'm dead! :-)))

Postby SRH78 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:38 am

There is no excuse for that. We would have had words.
SRH78
Senior Member
 
Posts: 430
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: Bang! Bang! I'm dead! :-)))

Postby gemini » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:41 am

jmra wrote:I was at Dallas Market Hall for a gun show with my brother a couple of years ago. We had taken some things we had purchased out to the truck and were coming back into the show when we heard a loud boom.
Turns out a vendors BIL (a CHL holder) had come through the back door to help work the table. At some point he decides to see what he can get for his EDC. He pulls out the mag and replaces it with an empty mag but fails to rack the slide and eject the round in the chamber.
Of course you know what happened next. A shopper picks up the "unloaded" gun and pulls the trigger. The .45 round went through the table and chipped a neat little hole out of the floor. Must have been a decent hollow point round because it mushroomed and stayed right there.
The vendor, BIL, and shopper were all escorted from the building by LEO.

The scary thing was my brother and I had just been at the next table 15 minutes earlier. It is a wonder no one was hurt.


Not trying to have a discussion about 30.06 at any gun shows. Simply the DACA (Market Hall Gun Shows). They have a "Safety Committee"
that constantly patrols the isles. Guys wearing blue DACA vests. Checking vendors, individuals etc. for sealed ammo boxes, cable ties
on guns etc etc. They also hire plenty of off duty DPD officers both inside and outside the building for security. They have had very, very,
very few incidents as described above. Their shows are the largest in Texas, if not one of, and they try to make them as safe as
possible for the thousands that pass through. The members also teach Hunters Ed courses at most shows.
As far as the BIL, vendor, and customer mentioned above. Good riddance. Stupity knows no bounds.
Edit: LOL. Make that stupidity.
gemini
Senior Member
 
Posts: 983
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:01 pm

Re: Bang! Bang! I'm dead! :-)))

Postby DLBConductor » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:54 am

Cjwglock19 wrote:We would have definitely bonded! :boxing

AndyC wrote: Some very annoyed Gaelic would have been heard, had that been me; I'd have had little shame in putting that man in his place, right sharpish.

Jumping Frog wrote: Boy, I would have been very vocal and pointed in expressing my displeasure.
If people don't realize they should [sic. "not"] step on my toes, they will continue to do so.

SRH78 wrote:There is no excuse for that. We would have had words.


:oops: "Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda!"

I feel properly chastised!

In retrospect, neither I nor the clerk did this fellow any good by being silent. He will blithely go on his way in ignorance. I just hope he doesn't do the same thing with a pistol where a round has been left in the chamber.

While I did some shooting with a .22 rifle almost 50 years ago as a teenager, my only experience with handguns began a year ago. I started out by taking lessons from the very beginning and feel very good about my gun safety, self-defense training, and marksmanship. However, over 40 years in academe has programmed me to be non-confrontational. This is something I will need to work on. If I broke one of the safety rules, my teacher was not shy about getting in my face and YELLING! I guess I need to set some personal boundaries where I will not tolerate unsafe gun handling that could put me or others at risk. I will have to do some practice scenarios to get used to responding to this type of situation.

This encounter does point out that there are potentially a lot of new gun purchasers who have little or no training in gun safety. It would be nice if some of the local gun stores would offer a free one-hour seminar once a week on "Gun Safety for the First Time Gun Buyer." Who knows, such seminars might attract more buyers into the store.

Thanks for all of your comments.
Last edited by DLBConductor on Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
[12/10/2011: CHL Class - 100 Written and 240 Range][01/14/2012: Plastic - 31 Days!]
[NRA Life Member][TSRA Life Member][CHL]
DLBConductor
Member
 
Posts: 114
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:30 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Bang! Bang! I'm dead! :-)))

Postby jmra » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:25 am

gemini wrote:
jmra wrote:I was at Dallas Market Hall for a gun show with my brother a couple of years ago. We had taken some things we had purchased out to the truck and were coming back into the show when we heard a loud boom.
Turns out a vendors BIL (a CHL holder) had come through the back door to help work the table. At some point he decides to see what he can get for his EDC. He pulls out the mag and replaces it with an empty mag but fails to rack the slide and eject the round in the chamber.
Of course you know what happened next. A shopper picks up the "unloaded" gun and pulls the trigger. The .45 round went through the table and chipped a neat little hole out of the floor. Must have been a decent hollow point round because it mushroomed and stayed right there.
The vendor, BIL, and shopper were all escorted from the building by LEO.

The scary thing was my brother and I had just been at the next table 15 minutes earlier. It is a wonder no one was hurt.


Not trying to have a discussion about 30.06 at any gun shows. Simply the DACA (Market Hall Gun Shows). They have a "Safety Committee"
that constantly patrols the isles. Guys wearing blue DACA vests. Checking vendors, individuals etc. for sealed ammo boxes, cable ties
on guns etc etc. They also hire plenty of off duty DPD officers both inside and outside the building for security. They have had very, very,
very few incidents as described above. Their shows are the largest in Texas, if not one of, and they try to make them as safe as
possible for the thousands that pass through. The members also teach Hunters Ed courses at most shows.
As far as the BIL, vendor, and customer mentioned above. Good riddance. Stupity knows no bounds.
Edit: LOL. Make that stupidity.

:iagree: I love the show and think they do a great job. The fault fell squarely on those three. The vendor is responsible for all the items on the table. The BIL failed in too many ways to list. BUT, the customer pulled the trigger. The gun doesn't go bang if the customer simply verifies that the gun is unloaded before "dry" firing the weapon.
I constantly drill this into my 13 and 11 yr old boys. If I hand them a firearm and they don't perform a complete visual and manual inspection to confirm its current condition, they know they are in for a very long tirade about gun safety (and looking at time away from the XBox 360 :mrgreen:).
I constantly work with the boys trying to catch them off guard to see how they will react. My neighbor witnessed this at our house one time and thought I was nuts. I handed her son (same age as my oldest) one of the guns we had been working with. I then showed her that had her son picked up a loaded gun at a friends house she would now be planning his funeral. Her son now comes to my house for gun safety training on a regular basis.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member
User avatar
jmra
Senior Member
 
Posts: 8106
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:51 am
Location: Ellis County

Re: Bang! Bang! I'm dead! :-)))

Postby Purplehood » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:56 am

Divided Attention wrote: other than thankful for his prior service to our country.


You might not believe just how many times you see 'stupid' when it comes to firearms handling in the Military. You'd think it would be otherwise, but it is not.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07
User avatar
Purplehood
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4634
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 3:35 pm
Location: Houston, TX

Re: Bang! Bang! I'm dead! :-)))

Postby SQLGeek » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:09 am

Don't take it too hard, you were just much more polite than I would have been. :)
Psalm 91:2
User avatar
SQLGeek
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2262
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:48 am
Location: Richmond, TX

Next

Return to Off-Topic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: J Wilson and 1 guest