Rifle In Public??

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
dihappy
Posts in topic: 3

Rifle In Public??

Post by dihappy »

Anyone know the law for having a rifle out in public?

I have a client that wants to do a photo shoot of her with her AR and other rifles out in Austin.

Shes thinking a river, greenbelt, etc.

Any info appreciated.

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 6

Re: Rifle In Public??

Post by seamusTX »

Nothing could possibly go wrong, except for—
  • being within 1,000 feet of a primary or secondary school without having a Texas CHL
  • being on Army Corps of Engineers land
  • being accused of deadly or disorderly conduct by a police officer who perceived the action as such
  • being accused of unlawful hunting (i.e., poaching)
  • making a SWAT team late for lunch—you really don't want to do that
I would sincerely recommend doing this kind of thing at a gun club or other private property with the permission of the owner.

- Jim
Fear, anger, hatred, and greed. The devil's all-you-can-eat buffet.

gthaustex
Posts in topic: 1

Post by gthaustex »

:iagree:

The worst case is any / all of the above and perhaps some other things not thought about. The best case scenario is probably going to be a lot of unwanted attention when the scared public calls in a report of someone with a gun. Long-gun or not, someone will call it in and the police will check, especially in today's charged environment.

Ericstac
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Ericstac »

To be honest I really doubt you will have an issue, especially if you look like a photographer taking professional photos.. Like having the big white reflective things and tripods..

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Lately the "man with a gun" calls come in even for someone with an umbrella or shovel. I know of a case where the SWAT team was called out in Santa Fe, Texas (which is far from a "liberal" enclave) for a man with a shovel.

Ericstac

Post by Ericstac »

seamusTX wrote:Lately the "man with a gun" calls come in even for someone with an umbrella or shovel. I know of a case where the SWAT team was called out in Santa Fe, Texas (which is far from a "liberal" enclave) for a man with a shovel.

Yeah but it is never a woman In a bikini with an AR, which is how I am imagining this photoshoot.

fishman

Post by fishman »

Austin is probably the worst place in Texas for that. Too many liberals.
IANAL

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Call local PD and let them know about photo shoot.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Topic author
dihappy
Posts in topic: 3

Post by dihappy »

I was so afraid of these responses lol

May have to do this on private ranch property or the like.

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Ericstac wrote:Yeah but it is never a woman In a bikini with an AR, which is how I am imagining this photoshoot.
Wash your brain out with yellow lye soap. :mrgreen:

- Jim

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

dihappy wrote:May have to do this on private ranch property or the like.
Some actions are legal, which nevertheless are not prudent to do in public places. I say that as a small-l libertarian.

- Jim

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Beiruty wrote:Call local PD and let them know about photo shoot.
:iagree: That's what I was thinking. Or local Sheriff and even invite them to come see.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Wes

Post by Wes »

Agreed, there is nothing illegal about having a rifle out in public. Do not be afraid to exercise your right because of fear from the antis. Exercise safe gun handling practices, be sure it is unloaded, and if you let the police know what you are doing you should have no problems. There was a open carry demonstration in Ft Worth not too long ago with zero incidents. The police were around and did not bother them whatsoever.
Alliance Arsenal - Firearms and transfers in north Ft. Worth

packa45

Post by packa45 »

I have had Austin's finest called on me several times...usually as I'm coming home from work or heading to work...for the infamous "man with a gun" walking through the parking lot...once was with a cased 12g shotgun...once was a cased AR15 and several times with my pistol on my hip... Once out of those many times I was stopped down the road and taken out of my car at gunpoint...totally understandable based on an officer safety standpoint to blaming the guy he was doing his job.
Twice I had officers respond to my residence and "have a talk" because of a man with a gun call. Each time my plate number was referenced and I was tracked down shortly after.

On each occasion I was well within the laws regarding firearms. But someone became alarmed by the presence of said inanimate object. If you plan on doing the photo shoot be prepared to have a visit from law enforcement officers just in case people in the area become "alarmed". Because they will respond in force if a man or woman with a gun call comes through the switchboard. Some people in Austin tend to forget that this is Texas.

But the advice about informing them beforehand could help make the event less stressful.
Chl class for me and wife=$225. Chl application fees =$280. Chl gear for 2=more $ the previous. Moving from sheep to sheepdog = priceless

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

C-dub wrote:
:iagree: That's what I was thinking. Or local Sheriff and even invite them to come see.
really good idea!

Ericstac wrote:To be honest I really doubt you will have an issue, especially if you look like a photographer taking professional photos.. Like having the big white reflective things and tripods..
eh, it's Austin, you never know, depends on exactly where you are.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Return to “Off-Topic”