Cornyn consults Holder on gun laws [Title is false!]

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Cornyn consults Holder on gun laws [Title is false!]

Post by RPB »

Cornyn seeks clarification on gun laws in wake of Texas district attorney murders
http://dailycaller.com/2013/04/04/corny ... um=twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In the wake of the murders of two Texas district attorneys, Texas Sen. John Cornyn is asking for the Justice Department for clarification on when and where prosecutors can carry firearms for self-defense
Cornyn sits on the Senate Judiciary Committee. As of early Thursday afternoon, his office has not yet received a response from the Justice Department.
Lots more at link provided
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

AEA
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Cornyn consults Holder on gun laws

Post by AEA »

Why does he not just read the STATE LAW!
Why does he ask Holder anything (especially something that he has no say in) and expect a reasonable answer (not a Lie)?
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

AEA

Post by AEA »

Maybe, but I seriously doubt that Cornyn is that smart. Gotta get up pretty early in the morning to beat a Democrat at his own game!
1911's RULE!

Topic author
RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

last I heard, Cornyn supports background checks, ... not sure how he plans to get criminals buying stolen guns from burglarized houses to sign up for them, but ...
I'm no lawyer

JALLEN
Posts in topic: 1

Post by JALLEN »

From what we have seen of Holder, why would any serious person ask him anything?

State prosecutors can carry whatever the state allows. Federal prosecutors probably can carry whether state law allows or not. I bet the FBI agents in Chicago are plenty well armed, and the prosecutors too if they chose to be. I sure would be.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

AEA

Post by AEA »

:iagree:
1911's RULE!

bdickens
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bdickens »

Cornyn is a RINO.
Byron Dickens

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

JALLEN wrote:From what we have seen of Holder, why would any serious person ask him anything?
The winner.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

I fully admit that Senator Cornyn is not the "go-getter" that Ted Cruz is (which is why I voted for Senator Cruz). However, the gist of what he "consulted" Holder on is contained in the following passage from the article:
“It has come to my attention that federal law…exempts law enforcement officers, agents, and federal officials (such as prosecutors) from prohibitions on carrying firearms in federal court facilities. Yet I am told that as a matter of policy, federal prosecutors are barred from carrying personal self-defense firearms to their offices (and parking facilities) even if they hold a state-issue concealed carry license,” Cornyn writes in the letter. “If this information is accurate and is a matter of federal court policy, then the safety and security of federal officials demands the policy’s immediate reconsideration,” Cornyn continued. “Prosecutor safety should start with enabling them to defend themselves from violent attack.”
So it would seem that some folks, despite their position as Federal officials, ARE indeed barred from being armed when on Federal property. And in light of what has occurred in Kaufman County, I believe that Senator Cornyn is at least attempting to try and sort things out for the safety of some of those folks involved in all this mess.

OldGrumpy

Post by OldGrumpy »

RPB wrote:last I heard, Cornyn supports background checks, ... not sure how he plans to get criminals buying stolen guns from burglarized houses to sign up for them, but ...
Another partial truth. Cornyn supported the inclusion of mental health records, certified by a court, into the present background check system.

:txflag: :patriot:
Love God, Family, USA, and Texas
Act justly, love mercy, walk humbly with God - Micah 6:8

Topic author
RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

OldGrumpy wrote:
RPB wrote:last I heard, Cornyn supports background checks, ... not sure how he plans to get criminals buying stolen guns from burglarized houses to sign up for them, but ...
Another partial truth. Cornyn supported the inclusion of mental health records, certified by a court, into the present background check system.

So, everyone must sign HIPAA-compliant medical authorizations wait for records check, and criminals and crazies who signed them will be filtered out at the expense of everyone's right to privacy being snipped away bit more.

I just can't see that working. Bob gets out of prison on parole, signs his HIPPA form, buys a stolen gun from Joe the House Burglar ... and learns he failed his background check so he'll pay attention to the gunfree zone sign instead of ignoring it.

Meanwhile, Mary, whose dad passed away 8 years ago saw a doctor for grief counseling and the doctor back then diagnosed depression which she got over 4 years ago, now must wait to get a tool to defend herself from a stalker ex boyfriend turned into a beater/abuser :headscratch
I'm no lawyer

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

RPB wrote:
OldGrumpy wrote:

So, everyone must sign HIPAA-compliant medical authorizations wait for records check, and criminals and crazies who signed them will be filtered out at the expense of everyone's right to privacy being snipped away bit more.

I just can't see that working. Bob gets out of prison on parole, signs his HIPPA form, buys a stolen gun from Joe the House Burglar ... and learns he failed his background check so he'll pay attention to the gunfree zone sign instead of ignoring it.

Meanwhile, Mary, whose dad passed away 8 years ago saw a doctor for grief counseling and the doctor back then diagnosed depression which she got over 4 years ago, now must wait to get a tool to defend herself from a stalker ex boyfriend turned into a beater/abuser :headscratch
This so blatantly misrepresents the truth that I can only conclude that you are a liberal. You and I have discussed this before, and you are way off the deep end with this description.

Once again, for the stubborn, the bill that Cornyn supports would alter the existing background check system to ensure that people adjudicated and properly judged as mentally incompetent would have those records entered into the NICS. IOW, if a court of law, where you are properly represented by council and judged according to the law, finds that you are mentally incompetent, then that judgment would be entered into NICS. It does not require that anyone applying for the purchase of a weapon undergo a medical records check. Furthermore, the law specifically excludes situations such as you describe. Voluntarily entering a mental facility for grief counseling does not qualify. Being taken to a mental facility against your will does not qualify. Only a court order gets you in the system and that after all your rights have been preserved. It does not add a HIPAA form to the NICS check.

If you want to have a discussion about whether or not NICS checks are constitutional, then fine. But stop misrepresenting Cornyn's position. And stop making up stuff out of thin air that has no relation to fact. That's what liberals do.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

bdickens wrote:Cornyn is a RINO.
:roll: :roll: :roll:

This baloney about Cornyn needs to stop. He is rated by the ACU as a conservative with a voting record that is more than 80% conservative. His lifetime record as a Senator is 93%. Here's his voting record. He voted for prohibiting the US from signing the UN Arms Trade Treaty. He voted against the recent budget resolution. He voted to defund Obamacare. He voted against Hagel and Brennan. He voted against the Reauthorization of the Violence Against Woman Act.

If you don't like him for some reason, then say so, but quit misrepresenting his record.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

bdickens

Post by bdickens »

FYI, I made no representation at all of Cornyn's record, miss- or otherwise. I made a statement of opinion that may or may not be based in fact and is therefore open to debate.

That he is nowhere near as bad as McCain, I'll give you. But I do know he's really teed me off on a couple of things.
Byron Dickens

Return to “Off-Topic”