Word use that drives you up the wall!

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

LDB415
Posts in topic: 7

Re: Word use that drives you up the wall!

Post by LDB415 »

The term "The offspring" from that stupid show Extant.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

Javier730
Posts in topic: 15

Post by Javier730 »

I dont like when someone calls my cell and says "Whos this?". When someones calls me and asks that I immediately hang up and will not answer any calls from that number.
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

jmra
Posts in topic: 15

Post by jmra »

Javier730 wrote:I dont like when someone calls my cell and says "Whos this?". When someones calls me and asks that I immediately hang up and will not answer any calls from that number.
I always respond "Freddy Krueger".
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

WildBill
Posts in topic: 109

Post by WildBill »

Dadtodabone wrote:
Count wrote:
WildBill wrote:"I don't disagree with anything you said."

Does this mean that you agree with everything that he said?
I don't know what it means to the person who said it to you and I'm sure some people use it as double-speak.

However, during my Big 4 years, I worked with a partner who used "I don't disagree" to indicate what was said was true, but might not be the whole truth. Sometimes the gap was incomplete data. Sometimes it was not seeing the forest for the trees. Sometimes he agreed with the facts but not the conclusion. The phrase seemed like his way of softening constructive criticism to staff.
Well put.
I have an uncle who was an Arthur Young and Co. partner back in the "Big 8" days. I don't believe he ever softened his criticism of anything....
:iagree: I hear this statement on talk radio when the host tells some of his callers "I don't disagree with anything that you said."
NRA Endowment Member

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 34

Post by Oldgringo »

Abraham wrote:"Oh - PAUSE - My gawd!"

Stop using this obscenity unless you think sounding like a twit attractive.
:iagree: :clapping:

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 10

Post by anygunanywhere »

Citizen - a legally recognized subject or national of a state or commonwealth, either native or naturalized.

Civilian - someone who is not in the military.

Citizens are civilians when not in the military. Those in the military are citizens not civilians.

LEOs are civilians and are not the military.

When discussing LEO and citizen non-LEO it seems out of place to refer to citizens as civilians. LEOs are citizens whose job is law enforcement, not the military.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 6

Post by SewTexas »

jmra wrote:
Javier730 wrote:I dont like when someone calls my cell and says "Whos this?". When someones calls me and asks that I immediately hang up and will not answer any calls from that number.

I always say, "who were you calling?"
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

MeMelYup
Posts in topic: 8

Post by MeMelYup »

SewTexas wrote:
jmra wrote:

I always say, "who were you calling?"
Do they answer: "is this the number to whom I am speaking?" snek snerk

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

anygunanywhere wrote:Citizen - a legally recognized subject or national of a state or commonwealth, either native or naturalized.

Citizens are civilians when not in the military. Those in the military are citizens not civilians.

When discussing LEO and citizen non-LEO it seems out of place to refer to citizens as civilians. LEOs are citizens whose job is law enforcement, not the military.
It think that this discussion comes down to "who is us and who is them? "
NRA Endowment Member

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 10

Post by anygunanywhere »

WildBill wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote:Citizen - a legally recognized subject or national of a state or commonwealth, either native or naturalized.

Could be. Maybe how them views us.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

anygunanywhere wrote:
WildBill wrote:

Could be. Maybe how them views us.
:iagree:
NRA Endowment Member

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 34

Post by Oldgringo »

If I don't recognize the number, I don't answer. If it's important and/or for me, the caller will leave a message which I will immediately return.

joe817
Posts in topic: 2

Post by joe817 »

Oldgringo wrote:
If I don't recognize the number, I don't answer. If it's important and/or for me, the caller will leave a message which I will immediately return.
Yup, I do exactly the same thing. :thumbs2:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 6

Post by SewTexas »

joe817 wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:
Yup, I do exactly the same thing. :thumbs2:

thing with me is that my number is my only number, we don't have a land line and I do get a lot of calls for my mother-in-law and such, I don't have a problem answering pretty much any call, but it's fun when I get a call from a "sweet young thang" that says "who is this?" and I know that she's been given the wrong number on purpose and I come back with "who are you calling?", she'll stumble a bit then hang up.....don't trust the guy at the bar kiddo.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

joe817
Posts in topic: 2

Post by joe817 »

Yup, yup SewTexas. Call screening is a learned art. :lol: With the plethora of phone call scams nowdays one must have some sibilance of situational awareness. It's just not in situations one might encounter in public, it's in the home as well.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Return to “Off-Topic”