College Rings?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
snatchel
Posts in topic: 1

College Rings?

Post by snatchel »

Wife ordered a class ring for me, and I have mixed feelings about it. Anyhow.... just seems like a lot of money for something that I'm not even sure I will wear often.

So... did you buy one? Do you wear it? Do you regret it?
No More Signature

Keith B

Re: College Rings?

Post by Keith B »

I wear a collegiate ring still today. The one now is for 30 years service at my company. I think it depends on if you like wearing jewelry and what you do for a living. I work in an office most of the time, so rings are no problem. If I worked construction or something where I couldn't wear it often, I might not spend the money on one.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

JALLEN
Posts in topic: 2

Post by JALLEN »

I bought a college ring, the fanciest one I could afford at the time. I still have it but haven't worn it in years. I wore it on my right hand, and there is a star on the side that, when I shake hands, cuts into the adjacent finger. I almost lost a finger on my left hand when I crushed the wedding ring while carrying furniture. Luckily, a nearby fire department was able to cut it off before I lost the finger. I finally stopped wearing rings altogether in San Diego when I took up lots of ocean swimming years ago.

I don't know if I would buy a college ring now. I thought it was the thing to do back then, and was very proud of graduating from UT. I still am! Of course, it's not just a ring; it's a way of life.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

RJGold

Post by RJGold »

Wear mine everyday...Graduated in 1992...

My dad wears his (and always has). He bought me mine when I graduated (even though I was married and on my own when I graduated and my wife and I put me through school). All I can figure is that I have an emotional attachment to it via my dad.

My two cents...
Lo que no puede cambiar, tu que debe aguantar.
Take Care.
RJ

tbrown

Post by tbrown »

snatchel wrote:Wife ordered a class ring for me, and I have mixed feelings about it. Anyhow.... just seems like a lot of money for something that I'm not even sure I will wear often.

So... did you buy one? Do you wear it? Do you regret it?
No. I don't have an emotional attachment to my college (nor high school) as an institution. Specific people, yes, but not the school itself. So it makes sense that I'm not interested in a class ring, homecoming, alumni association events, etc. Other people feel a strong sense of community and so those trappings do make sense for them.
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Only folks I know that still wear their college rings are Aggies.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Zencyl

Post by Zencyl »

I wear mine everyday. I get comments now and then about it, but that's ok. It's a personal preference.

J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

Getting and wearing an Aggie ring is part of the experience. I wear mine (next to my wedding band on my left hand, because it is harder to grip firearms and other tools with that clunky hunk of gold on my right hand).

None of my other siblings (three Longhorns, one Rice, and my Aggie kid brother) have class rings. My dad did (Rice '49) which I think was a generational thing.
Last edited by J.R.@A&M on Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

My high school class ring is off shore of West Dennis Beach in Cape Cod MA. Long story.

Never finished college.

My late wife liked pinkie rings on men, so I wore them, and have never gotten out of the habit.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

SATX-Scrub

Post by SATX-Scrub »

My college ring, that was strung onto my leather watchband, was eaten and never recovered by my roommates dalmation in 1991. I hated that dog. I'd prolly still be wearing it today.
“He looked like an accountant or a serial-killer type. Definitely one of the service industries.”
― Kinky Friedman, Elvis, Jesus, and Coca-Cola
http://atomicnumber13.blogspot.com/

Texas_Blaze

Post by Texas_Blaze »

I didn't buy one in high school, didn't buy one at Texas Tech (bach. degree), didnt buy one at A&M (grad school). Never felt I am missing anything.
Distinguished author of opinions and pro bono self proclaimed internet lawyer providing expert advice on what you should do and believe on all matters of life.

cheezit

Post by cheezit »

im with jallen. i dont even wear a wedding ring.

JALLEN
Posts in topic: 2

Post by JALLEN »

mojo84 wrote:Only folks I know that still wear their college rings are Aggies.
For the Aggies, just like the Longhorns, it's not just a ring, it's a way of life.

Many of my high school buddies are Aggies. I gather it was an intense experience. So was UT, although perhaps a different kind of intensity.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

I bought one. I do not wear it as I have some rings that I inherited from father. One of those rings I wear along with my wedding ring. I do not regret buying it and it gives something for my sons to fight over when I am gone or to melt down when the Government shuts down. :tiphat:

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

I have two college rings, one wedding ring and darn nice watch, wife and i have matching watches i bought in jebel ali, they are pricey but not in your face gawdy
dont wear any of them,
working on planes forever sort of ruled out any jewelry on the hands and fingers because of safety issues
now that i am retired......just never put em on
cell phone is always near by so a watch is sort of dying off
I see many that are known as ring knockers when they are trying to impress folks...
I am past the age of impressing anyone. if they dont like me, it doesn't matter so to speak

I am never late either
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

Return to “Off-Topic”