Question for the cooks amongst us. Prime Rib!

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

brhalltx
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Question for the cooks amongst us. Prime Rib!

Post by brhalltx »

[quote="WildBill"]
Find some horseradish root in the produce section at your local grocery store.

Peel and cut it up and put into your blender or food processor and puree.

It is much more potent that the stuff you buy in a jar./quote]

Atomic horseradish (in jar ;) ) is pretty potent. Hard to find in stores; I order it direct.

brhalltx

Post by brhalltx »

As for the prime rib...

Salt and brown the outside in olive oil or drippings.

Season it with salt, pepper, worcestershire, olive oil. Optionally, garlic. For bonus points, cut slits in the outside and insert garlic cloves.

Insert thermometer.

Bake at 350 until it hits 128 to 130 internally.

The last one we did was a 4 rib (cut to the outside of the next ribs, so it included all of the meat between the outside ribs and the no-longer-attached neighboring ribs), weighing ~7 pounds. It fed 6, and there were no leftovers. It was the best prime rib anyone there had ever had. And some of them were pretty old. :biggrinjester:

Topic author
03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 12

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

I kept it pretty simple and it was great! I seasoned it Thursday night with garlic powder, onion powder, ground pepper and plenty of sea salt. Weather was bad so we did it in the oven. First I let it sit on counter for about three hours to bring it up closer to room temps. The meat was about fifty five degrees when I put it in the oven in a simple roasting pan, uncovered. I slow cooked it for several hours at 225. Using a meat thermometer I brought the meat up to 125 degrees. Took it out of oven and let it rest for thirty minutes. I then brought oven temp up to 550. I put the roast in the oven for about ten minutes to form a nice crust. The meat was perfect.

Thanks for all the great suggestions! :cheers2:

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Jumping Frog »

Normally we cook a turkey for Christmas.

But this conversation made me hungry for Prime Rib. So my wife and I bought a 6 lb slab o' beef on our way home from Mass last night. Now there is something else I am looking forward to for Christmas.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

WildBill
Posts in topic: 10

Post by WildBill »

03Lightningrocks wrote:Thanks for all the great suggestions! :cheers2:
I am happy that it worked out for you.
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
03Lightningrocks

Jumping Frog wrote:Normally we cook a turkey for Christmas.

But this conversation made me hungry for Prime Rib. So my wife and I bought a 6 lb slab o' beef on our way home from Mass last night. Now there is something else I am looking forward to for Christmas.
:tiphat: I am not sure a person can mess up a prime rib other than possibly over cooking it. We always did turkey for Christmas. After the kids grew up and started leaving the nest, we all decided that turkey for thanksgiving was good enough so we usually do some other meat for Christmas. One year I went to a real butcher shop and bought the finest, highest end porterhouse steaks they had... LOL.. It must have cost me a hundred dollars for six steaks. It was worth every penny!

Good luck with the prime rib. I think this thread has enough info to come up with a couple different methods that work!

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

03Lightningrocks wrote:I am not sure a person can mess up a prime rib other than possibly over cooking it.
The first step, which is essential, is to buy a good quality piece of meat.

Years back a friend of mine invited me over for a small dinner party. He was pretty much a novice on the grill, but he was determined to cook a prime rib for their guests. It was a pretty large roast, that he had special-ordered for the occasion, with lots of marbling and a thick layer of fat.

His wife kept insisting that he let me help him, but he steadfastly refused my offers. He got the coals fired up and put on the roast. While the roast was cooking we went inside to talk and have a few drinks.

A while later we went out to check, and there were billows of smoke coming from the grill. He pulled the cover off and the entire roast was in flames. We managed to douse the flames and get the roast off the grill without burning ourselves. After cutting away some of the char, it still tasted pretty good. :lol:
Last edited by WildBill on Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
03Lightningrocks

Great story wildbill. I pulled something similar one time with about eight ribeye steaks. The fat from them started a roaring inferno. Unfortunately, there was no saving that meal. I ended up taking eight people out for dinner... :mrgreen:

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

03Lightningrocks wrote:Great story wildbill. I pulled something similar one time with about eight ribeye steaks. The fat from them started a roaring inferno. Unfortunately, there was no saving that meal. I ended up taking eight people out for dinner... :mrgreen:
The worst part for my friend was the many times that his wife reminded him about it. :lol:
NRA Endowment Member

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Oldgringo »

Happy for you and yours. :clapping:

I'm planning on frying a turkey Tuesday. It'll be done out in the yard so we don't burn the house down. :smilelol5:

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Oldgringo wrote:Happy for you and yours. :clapping:

I'm planning on frying a turkey Tuesday. It'll be done out in the yard so we don't burn the house down. :smilelol5:
That's still on my bucket list. Be careful! :rules:
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
03Lightningrocks

Oh man!! I love fried Turkey! Once you have fried a Turkey, that's it. No other Turkey will work!

Wildbill, the main purpose of a good woman is to keep a man humble. :biggrinjester: sounds to me like your friends wife is doing her job properly.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

03Lightningrocks wrote:Oh man!! I love fried Turkey! Once you have fried a Turkey, that's it. No other Turkey will work!

Wildbill, the main purpose of a good woman is to keep a man humble. :biggrinjester: sounds to me like your friends wife is doing her job properly.
I believe she is, they are still married after 35+ years. :thumbs2:
NRA Endowment Member

brhalltx

Post by brhalltx »

You can't leave fatty meat unattended on a grill... Even a minute can be enough to end up with blackened ribeye. ;)

Although I do like a Pittsburghed steak.

Return to “Off-Topic”