Anything good under the tree this year?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
FishInTx
Posts in topic: 2

Anything good under the tree this year?

Post by FishInTx »

What did you get?

I got some powder, primers, bullets, mag pouches, x grips for m&p mags. and about $200 in Academy gift cards! I'm ready to do some shooting!! :fire

Merry Christmas!

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Anything good under the tree this year?

Post by Jumping Frog »

My wife and I were able to give our son a car (paid cash) and we were able to give the woman at McDonald's who gives me my morning coffee every weekday a surprise $100 "tip". There was a gift to our soup kitchen. There were a few other gifts we were able to give that we felt good about.

I didn't actually receive anything except the joy that comes from giving. It was a blessed and joyful Christmas! :thumbs2:
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

jmra
Posts in topic: 3

Post by jmra »

Jumping Frog wrote:My wife and I were able to give our son a car (paid cash) and we were able to give the woman at McDonald's who gives me my morning coffee every weekday a surprise $100 "tip". There was a gift to our soup kitchen. There were a few other gifts we were able to give that we felt good about.

I didn't actually receive anything except the joy that comes from giving. It was a blessed and joyful Christmas! :thumbs2:
Same here. Our boys decided it was better to give than receive. They picked wish lists for two orphans from the angel tree at church and wanted to buy everything on the lists. They also wanted to provide Christmas for a single mom with two kids that I work with. Pretty much wiped out the Christmas fund. But I was able to trade off some stuff that was laying around for some really neat RC cars and through multiple swaps I should be picking up a G19 this evening that the boys will really enjoy shooting.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Topic author
FishInTx

Post by FishInTx »

Jumping Frog wrote:My wife and I were able to give our son a car (paid cash) and we were able to give the woman at McDonald's who gives me my morning coffee every weekday a surprise $100 "tip". There was a gift to our soup kitchen. There were a few other gifts we were able to give that we felt good about.

My family and friends got the usual electronics and jewelry etc..my best gift giving was the hog and deer I shot. Donated all the meat to the hungry. I also had a food drive and was able to provide Christmas dinner for about 5 families. God bless!

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

We paired down gift giving to our two Granddaughters. Since they're teenagers we give them a whopping cash gift each. This way they're never disappointed. Cash never disappoints...

We don't buy any other gifts for anyone else or each other anymore. Whoops, we do tend to give exceedingly large tips to various people, but in a sense we don't consider these gifts, so much as donating to charity, but maybe I'm splitting hairs...?

howdy

Post by howdy »

Instead of gifts to the adults, we made contributions to the local no kill animal shelter. All three of my adult children live in the local area and we all got together on Christmas eve and Christmas day. That to me is the best gift.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

Songbird

Post by Songbird »

Best gift has been the love of a good man and his willingness to do do all the chores while I'm in a cast for a broken ankle. On the more material side, I got some Bose headphones and hubby got a new Colt Defender.
CHL Class 1/13/12
Plastic in hand 2/27/12

Chris

Post by Chris »

I got a new patrol bag, and I'm getting a Glock 27 tomorrow, since I have to be the one to do the blue label stuff.

Topbuilder

Post by Topbuilder »

My son received a Ukulele.
It's ok, the learning curve could not be any more painful than the drum set from a couple years ago. :???:
"It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God, and the Bible." George Washington

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 5

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I got a book, "We Who Are Alive and Remain: Untold Stories from the Band of Brothers" and a Duluth Trading Co. "Men's Fire Hose Iron Range Lined Work Vest" from my wife, some "Christmas Money" from my mom, and a custom made knife made by my son. The knife isn't finished yet, but when it is done, it will be similar to this one, which he made for himself not too long ago:

That's a 4.75" stainless steel blade.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

jmra

Post by jmra »

What does your son charge for such a knife?
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

TAM,

Specs please, i.e., metallurgy, handle material.

Thanks!

Oh, and from what I see, that's an outstanding/beautiful knife.

Your son is highly talented.

P.S. A wonderful, deceased friend was a knife maker. He guided me in making four knives. He was an engineer with a Phd in metallurgy and had a shop in his backyard. His knives commanded big bucks and he never had an inventory as his knives immediately sold. He could make folding knives too.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Abraham wrote:Oh, and from what I see, that's an outstanding/beautiful knife.

Your son is highly talented.
:iagree: This is a beautiful knife and an outstanding Christmas present.
NRA Endowment Member

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 5

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I'll let him know you guys like it. The blade/shank is stainless steel. That darkness on the blade in the picture is actually just a reflection or shadow. In person it is bright stainless. The grips are micarta which he makes himself, and in different colors. He gave one to his boss for Christmas with red/black micarta grips that are stunning. On the one in the picture here, he used a coping saw to cut grooves in the grips, and then filled them in with black-tinted resin to make the black lines. He's also making kydex sheaths for them, although he hasn't got a finished product to show yet.

Jmra, I don't know what he would charge. All the ones he's made so far have been either for practice or given as gifts. But I know that he wants to make some money at it, so I'll ask him. He's also learning gunsmithing too from his boss.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Jmra, I don't know what he would charge. All the ones he's made so far have been either for practice or given as gifts. But I know that he wants to make some money at it, so I'll ask him. He's also learning gunsmithing too from his boss.
Tell him that his "Uncle Bill" would like one. :mrgreen:
NRA Endowment Member

Return to “Off-Topic”