Gov. Christie Aide Caught Shoplifting from Cabelas

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Gov. Christie Aide Caught Shoplifting from Cabelas

Post by The Annoyed Man »

MechAg94 wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
Abraham wrote:The alleged thief isn't a politician.

He's an LEO, who was/is a Christie bodyguard.

The professional courtesy question apparently was in the form of his asking the arresting officer for leniency.
Perhaps I should have rephrased my question thusly: "Do people check their morals at the door when they go to work for Christie?" I know the guy was an LEO, which makes his alleged crime even more egregious. I expect politicians to be thieves. (Please note, I don't want them to be thieves, but after decades as an observer, I expect it.........much the way I expect any other class of criminals to be thieves.....) If it had been Christie himself who was the thief, it would have surprised me much less. But LEOs? I don't expect it from LEOs. And to have the nerve to ask for "professional courtesy"?
I have heard that "professional courtesy" thing is expected and often given in many states especially up in the Northeast at least in some states.
If that is the case, then common thieves not employed by the gooberner ought to expect the same courtesy........If they are all thieves....
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Dori
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Dori »

Riddle me this. What's the difference between "casting stones" at a cop who was caught shoplifting and "casting stones" at an actor who overdosed on illegal drugs?

WildBill
Posts in topic: 3

Post by WildBill »

Dori wrote:Riddle me this. What's the difference between "casting stones" at a cop who was caught shoplifting and "casting stones" at an actor who overdosed on illegal drugs?
Both people are stoned?
NRA Endowment Member

Dori

Post by Dori »

WildBill wrote:Both people are stoned?
:rock"

tomtexan
Posts in topic: 1

Post by tomtexan »

WildBill wrote:
Dori wrote:Riddle me this. What's the difference between "casting stones" at a cop who was caught shoplifting and "casting stones" at an actor who overdosed on illegal drugs?
Both people are stoned?
"rlol" "rlol" :smilelol5:
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
NRA Life Member

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

The OD'd actor committed a victimless crime. The thief cop did not.

The OD'd actor was a fine actor, but just another hollywood guy who broke the law. The cop was supposed to enforce the laws, not break them.

OD'd actor's death is a crying shame. The cop's arrest is good.

I could go on. There are some differences. That said, I like WildBill's answer the best.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Actually, the actor's drug purchase is not victimless. Purchasing drugs supports the cartels. The cartels have murdered thousands.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

MechAg94 wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
Abraham wrote:The alleged thief isn't a politician.

He's an LEO, who was/is a Christie bodyguard.

The professional courtesy question apparently was in the form of his asking the arresting officer for leniency.
Perhaps I should have rephrased my question thusly: "Do people check their morals at the door when they go to work for Christie?" I know the guy was an LEO, which makes his alleged crime even more egregious. I expect politicians to be thieves. (Please note, I don't want them to be thieves, but after decades as an observer, I expect it.........much the way I expect any other class of criminals to be thieves.....) If it had been Christie himself who was the thief, it would have surprised me much less. But LEOs? I don't expect it from LEOs. And to have the nerve to ask for "professional courtesy"?
I have heard that "professional courtesy" thing is expected and often given in many states especially up in the Northeast at least in some states.
While that may sometimes influence an officer's decision to issue a warning instead of a ticket for 10 over the limit, I've never seen it carry over to criminal conduct - nor should it.

An officer who would ask for and expect that is seriously on the wrong side of the law and dishonors his fellow officers, who won't take that lightly.

You'd have to be a politician for that to work, and the decision to look the other way would be made well above the pay grade of the street cop.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

anygunanywhere wrote:Actually, the actor's drug purchase is not victimless. Purchasing drugs supports the cartels. The cartels have murdered thousands.

Anygunanywhere
Anygun, I'm about 50% there with you.....OTH the war on drugs is an abject failure and helped to grow the cartels into what they are today, so.......let's just say that I have mixed feelings. There still lies the difference between a non-LEO who succumbed to an addiction, and an LEO who is a thief and then asks for "professional courtesy".

#TINVOWOOT

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2014/0 ... nsylvania/
According to the complaint, “During the course of his shopping, (Carvounis) would place items in his shopping basket. While walking around and continuing to shop, he would take various merchandise out of the package and conceal in his pockets…He would discard the empty packages on shelves throughout the store.”

Security video also caught Carvounis tearing the price tag from a Cabela’s hat, which he wore while trying to leave the store.
When caught, police say, Carvounis invoked his position, asking again and again for a little professional courtesy — to let him off so he wouldn’t lose his job.
Do people check their morals at the door when they enter his administration?
No, they didn't have any to begin with, as is the case with just about everyone who seeks power over others.

Edited to add:

I didn't realize he was a LEO when I responded.....my seeking power over others remark applies to politicians, many of whom are some of the most wretched and villainous scum on earth.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

HKMike wrote:It's really disturbing that the guy has the nerve to ask for "professional courtesy" after he is caught. What "profession" would extend this type of "courtesy" as if it were common practice?
Politics and Law Enforcement.

Tic Tac

Post by Tic Tac »

cb1000rider wrote:
HKMike wrote:It's really disturbing that the guy has the nerve to ask for "professional courtesy" after he is caught. What "profession" would extend this type of "courtesy" as if it were common practice?
Politics and Law Enforcement.
Don't forget celebrities. Many expect special treatment by the justice system when they're caught doing things they shouldn't.

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

Tic Tac wrote: Don't forget celebrities. Many expect special treatment by the justice system when they're caught doing things they shouldn't.
That's just a rampant sense of entitlement.....
And most of them can afford special treatment through liberal use of attorneys and influence peddling.

mud farmer

Post by mud farmer »

Professional courtesy is a kind of entitlement.

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

I went to Cabela's today to use the gift card my step daughter sent me for Christmas. I was wearing a hoodie and had a pair of leather gloves stuffed in my pocket which kept trying to fall out. I shopped for about a half hour, trying to find a specific magazine, a laser sight, and a couple of other items, and every time I squatted down to look at something on the bottom I had to tuck my gloves back in when I stood up.

Apparently I attracted the attention of a loss prevention person.

I went up to the front of the store preparing to check out and decided to take a quick biological break before I left, so I took my items up to the stand at the front of the store and was about to leave them there when I was greeted by an old friend, fellow ham radio operator, and former co-worker.

The LP person wandered up and listened while we chatted, and then left after I dropped my items on the stand and went into the rest room.

BTW, my friend is also LP at Cabela's.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

Return to “Off-Topic”