Am I The Only Dinosaur Without A Smart Phone?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Abraham
Posts in topic: 16

Re: Am I The Only Dinosaur Without A Smart Phone?

Post by Abraham »

George,

"And, I can text and keep quiet, like in class, or in church."

Doing a little chain pulling are we...?

If not, you're partially revealing what I'm railing about when it comes to the misuse of these gizmos.

Plus, when did it become impolite to call someone?

They can shut off their phone or leave it on and let it quietly go to voice mail, right?

Please, calling someone is not an imposition, unless the party on the other end let's it be.

92f-fan
Posts in topic: 1

Post by 92f-fan »

its almost as disengaged and antisocial as typing messages on a keyboard in response to question on a online forum...

;-)

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

92f-fan,

Nah, apples and oranges...

psijac

off topic picture.

Post by psijac »

07/25/09 - CHL class completed
07/31/09 - Received Pin/Packet sent.
09/23/09 - Plastic in hand!!

Ameer

Post by Ameer »

breakfast cereal killer?
I believe the basic political division in this country is not between liberals and conservatives but between those who believe that they should have a say in the personal lives of strangers and those who do not.

MasterOfNone
Posts in topic: 3

Post by MasterOfNone »

I don't think a smart phone turns a social person into an antisocial person; I suspect it only happens if the person leans toward the anti side already.
For me, it is a tool that adds capabilities and efficiency:

In a meeting, I can text a staff member for a piece of info instead of stepping out to call him.
I can receive status updates and reports from multiple field units at the same time.
An entire library of manuals are readily available for field reference.
"Honey, can you pick me up a few things on the way home?" "Sure, text me the list."
Calendar, task list, camera, voice recorder, GPS, free ATM locator, alarm clock, barcode scanner, video conference, mobile hotspot, home monitoring, credit card swiping, mobile banking....

But I still put it away when I interact with others.
http://www.PersonalPerimeter.com
DFW area LTC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, Range Safety Officer, Recruiter

apostate

Post by apostate »

gigag04 wrote:
rotor wrote:Once you have a good smart phone the real question is "do I need a home computer?".
So true.

Posted on my iPhone 5S. As are about 90% of my posts.
I'm considering making that leap. 95% of my home internet usage is email, web browsing, or streaming Netflix. I can do that on a smart phone at a lower monthly price point than my U-verse connection, and service won't be limited to one location.

jmra

Post by jmra »

apostate wrote:
gigag04 wrote:
rotor wrote:Once you have a good smart phone the real question is "do I need a home computer?".
So true.

Posted on my iPhone 5S. As are about 90% of my posts.
I'm considering making that leap. 95% of my home internet usage is email, web browsing, or streaming Netflix. I can do that on a smart phone at a lower monthly price point than my U-verse connection, and service won't be limited to one location.
A lot of my day at work is spent on a computer only because some of the programs we use are not compatible with my iPad. Everything I do at home is either on my phone or iPad.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Abraham wrote:I do own a pre-paid cell phone I use infrequently, but see no need for a smart phone for myself. I bought it originally as a safety item, turned off and stowed. I find myself in remote locations kayaking and cycling. If I get in trouble it's a nice backup item, but not something I chat on.

I wonder if the majority who own smart phones really NEED them or are they more for recreational use?

What say you?
No smart phone for the RedNeck Country Boy. I cant do all this one will. Have to have one though.
1st phone in '99 & this is my 2nd one. Hope it takes me all the way to Glory.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Smart phone users keep bringing up the benefits of smart phones - No doubt they provide high tech performance, but that's not what I'm addressing.

It's their misuse...

As time passes, we see more and more folks misuse these devices, from being merely annoying to others in public all the way to being a danger to others as well as themselves.

As an example, texting while driving.

Some of these texting people have the temerity to state they can do such safely while driving. Wow, talk about being delusional...

We have safety programs for new hunters, perhaps such a requirement should be mandatory for cell/smart phone users before being able to buy one of these devices.

Yeah, I'm a staunch conservative, but I'm also realistic. In the hands of some of the misuse of these items is lethal.

A course, akin to safety programs for new hunters could be started for cell/smart phone users aimed at the dangers/safe use of these devices.

MasterOfNone

Post by MasterOfNone »

Abraham wrote:Smart phone users keep bringing up the benefits of smart phones - No doubt they provide high tech performance, but that's not what I'm addressing.

It's their misuse...

As time passes, we see more and more folks misuse these devices, from being merely annoying to others in public all the way to being a danger to others as well as themselves.

As an example, texting while driving.

Some of these texting people have the temerity to state they can do such safely while driving. Wow, talk about being delusional...

We have safety programs for new hunters, perhaps such a requirement should be mandatory for cell/smart phone users before being able to buy one of these devices.

Yeah, I'm a staunch conservative, but I'm also realistic. In the hands of some of the misuse of these items is lethal.

A course, akin to safety programs for new hunters could be started for cell/smart phone users aimed at the dangers/safe use of these devices.
The same concerns apply to people who eat, shave, apply makeup, or read the newspaper while driving. There is already a safety course for that - driver's ed.
http://www.PersonalPerimeter.com
DFW area LTC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, Range Safety Officer, Recruiter

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

MasterOfNone,

I hear ya.

My post was a very dry tongue in cheek one.

Of course, I'm not sincerely advocating what I said.

Just creating a bit of discussion...

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 7

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Abraham, just remember that the dinosaurs are no longer with us. :smilelol5:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

bayouhazard

Post by bayouhazard »

Tastes like chicken.

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

TAM,

Right you are and given a short bit of time, all humans are no longer with us...

Return to “Off-Topic”