I guess Texans have a reputation...

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

WildBill
Posts in topic: 3

Re: I guess Texans have a reputation...

Post by WildBill »

AndyC wrote:[ Image ]

http://www.daybydaycartoon.com/2014/04/12/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:lol:
That is pretty funny.
NRA Endowment Member

ELB
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ELB »

"Birthplace is Gonzales, Texas."

Heh. I doubt many people outside of Texas will pick up on that, but that's an excellent stinger. :txflag:
USAF 1982-2005

jmra

Post by jmra »

WildBill wrote:
AndyC wrote:[ Image ]

http://www.daybydaycartoon.com/2014/04/12/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:lol:
That is pretty funny.
:iagree:
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

puma guy
Posts in topic: 4

Post by puma guy »

My father was from Queens, NYC and when I was a kid we visited my grandparents there a couple of times in the 50's. All the kids picked up our Texas accents right away and would ask us questions about Texas. Questions like how many cattle did we have. What were the Indians like? Have we ever seen any one get shot? They thought everybody had an oil well. I learned how to play stick ball and stoop ball and to say yes when someone asked, "Hey, You guys want soda?" :lol: We also taught them a thing or two. To play stick or stoop ball a pink hollow rubber ball was used. About the size of a tennis ball they called them "Pennsy Pinkies" because Pennsylvania Rubber made them and were about the color of a pink a pencil eraser. When the ball would go down the storm sewer culvert the game was over until someone could buy another ball. My twin brother and I had been traversing our fair city's storm sewers since we got off tricycles, so we just lifted the grates and in we went. There was probably 50 Pennsy Pinkies down there. Some beyond being usable, but most, other than being a little dirty, were in perfect shape. We were heroes and saved the day!
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

puma guy wrote:My father was from Queens, NYC and when I was a kid we visited my grandparents there a couple of times in the 50's. All the kids picked up our Texas accents right away and would ask us questions about Texas. Questions like how many cattle did we have. What were the Indians like? Have we ever seen any one get shot? They thought everybody had an oil well. I learned how to play stick ball and stoop ball and to say yes when someone asked, "Hey, You guys want soda?" :lol: We also taught them a thing or two. To play stick or stoop ball a pink hollow rubber ball was used. About the size of a tennis ball they called them "Pennsy Pinkies" because Pennsylvania Rubber made them and were about the color of a pink a pencil eraser. When the ball would go down the storm sewer culvert the game was over until someone could buy another ball. My twin brother and I had been traversing our fair city's storm sewers since we got off tricycles, so we just lifted the grates and in we went. There was probably 50 Pennsy Pinkies down there. Some beyond being usable, but most, other than being a little dirty, were in perfect shape. We were heroes and saved the day!

I grew up in Queens myself, and played stick ball, stoop ball, wall ball, and mostly "punch ball" with those pink rubber balls. Ah, those were the days.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

G26ster wrote:
puma guy wrote:My father was from Queens, NYC and when I was a kid we visited my grandparents there a couple of times in the 50's. All the kids picked up our Texas accents right away and would ask us questions about Texas. Questions like how many cattle did we have. What were the Indians like? Have we ever seen any one get shot? They thought everybody had an oil well. I learned how to play stick ball and stoop ball and to say yes when someone asked, "Hey, You guys want soda?" :lol: We also taught them a thing or two. To play stick or stoop ball a pink hollow rubber ball was used. About the size of a tennis ball they called them "Pennsy Pinkies" because Pennsylvania Rubber made them and were about the color of a pink a pencil eraser. When the ball would go down the storm sewer culvert the game was over until someone could buy another ball. My twin brother and I had been traversing our fair city's storm sewers since we got off tricycles, so we just lifted the grates and in we went. There was probably 50 Pennsy Pinkies down there. Some beyond being usable, but most, other than being a little dirty, were in perfect shape. We were heroes and saved the day!

I grew up in Queens myself, and played stick ball, stoop ball, wall ball, and mostly "punch ball" with those pink rubber balls. Ah, those were the days.
Where in Queens? My dad lived on 219th between Jamaica Ave and Hillside Ave. My cousin posted a picture of my grandparent's house on 219th. It had been nicely with the porch windows being replaced with siding and the entire neighborhood was very well kept.

I read a while back that the hospital where my brother and I were born (Mary Immaculate) had been shut down and was being converted into apartments. My cousin also told me that the building on Jamaica Ave my Dad bought for his veterinary practice and sold to his brother, who was also a vet (both Texas A&M graduates), before coming to Texas was sold to the city in 2001 and demolished.
The building was built prior to the War Between the States. My parents and older brother (who was born in Texas while my dad served in WWII) lived there above the clinic from 1946 until January 1949 when they left to make their home here in the Lone Star state. My brother and I were less than a year old so I consider myself a Texan :lol: . The smartest thing my dad ever did was to marry a Texas girl and bring her back to Texas. It took his brother another 25 years and being robbed at gun point at his practice to get down here.

GlockDude26

Post by GlockDude26 »

I hate to break it to you, but while we're all laughing, they ARE training....... :fire
"Our houses are protected by the Good Lord and a gun, you might em both if you show up here not welcome son" Josh Thompson- Way out here (best song ever) "eventually all citizens will become criminals with enough legislation....."

rotor
Posts in topic: 2

Post by rotor »

G26ster wrote:

I grew up in the lower east side of Manhattan. And it is not "oil well", it is "earl well". Not only stoop ball and punch ball but we used to close the street to play roller skate hockey. Really hurt if you got hit with a hockey puck. Then the cops would come around, break up the game and open the street again. Had one cop take my entire stash of illegal fireworks in a pat down, the next day his brother was selling them on my block. The good old days. Stick ball was played with a broken off broomstick as a bat. Nobody could afford a real bat. And we all used the pink rubber balls. I actually had a Marlin bolt action 22 that I used to take to an indoor range in lower Manhattan. I used to ride the subway with that in a gun case. Must have been about 12 years old. Nobody ever said anything or cared. Learned to shoot and handle guns in cub scout camp. Try that nowadays in NY.

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

pretty good
come and take it
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

rotor wrote:I grew up in the lower east side of Manhattan. And it is not "oil well", it is "earl well". Not only stoop ball and punch ball but we used to close the street to play roller skate hockey. Really hurt if you got hit with a hockey puck. Then the cops would come around, break up the game and open the street again. Had one cop take my entire stash of illegal fireworks in a pat down, the next day his brother was selling them on my block. The good old days. Stick ball was played with a broken off broomstick as a bat. Nobody could afford a real bat. And we all used the pink rubber balls. I actually had a Marlin bolt action 22 that I used to take to an indoor range in lower Manhattan. I used to ride the subway with that in a gun case. Must have been about 12 years old. Nobody ever said anything or cared. Learned to shoot and handle guns in cub scout camp. Try that nowadays in NY.
You'd be under the jail carrying a rifle. Was your Marlin a single shot or repeater? Not knowing your age I can only surmise by your story of carrying a rifle on a subway that you may be old enough to remember Abercrombie & Fitch, the sporting goods and outfitter store, not the clothes for all you young folks. Did ever go there? My dad and uncle both had lemon wood long bows and quivers from A&F. My brother and I unfortunately broke them. He also bought a Fox Sterlingworth 12ga SxS from A&F that was custom fitted for him by their gunsmith. The stock is way too short for me, but I'll never let it go. I had the original hang tag but have lost it somehow. We visited A&F once when we were visiting and it was a really cool place.

rotor
Posts in topic: 2

Post by rotor »

Age 71. Don't remember going to Abercrombie & Fitch but I was pretty poor in those days. My Marlin 22 was a bolt action with a magazine, I don't remember how many but probably 5-7 shot. Probably paid less than $30 as that would have drained the piggy bank. My younger brother in California has that gun now. Nowadays my mother would be in jail for letting a 12 year old have a gun, traveling unsupervised on the subway, going to a gun range where the only requirement was money to get in and no adult supervision. Mayor Bloomberg would probably have had us all arrested had he been there then. Times have changed though. In Texas kids at high school would have a gun rack in the back of the pickup with a rifle in place. No more. I don't think we are a safer society now then we were in the past. At least now I live in a state which respects the 2nd ammendment ( pretty much) and can afford the toys I like. But we all have less freedom than in the past.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

puma guy wrote:Not knowing your age I can only surmise by your story of carrying a rifle on a subway that you may be old enough to remember Abercrombie & Fitch, the sporting goods and outfitter store, not the clothes for all you young folks.
A&F was one of Hemingway's favorite place to buy stuff.
NRA Endowment Member

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

WildBill wrote:
puma guy wrote:Not knowing your age I can only surmise by your story of carrying a rifle on a subway that you may be old enough to remember Abercrombie & Fitch, the sporting goods and outfitter store, not the clothes for all you young folks.
You're right. I think a lot of famous people went there. It was a really "neat" place to put it the vernacular of a ten year old, which I was when we visited. It's one of those experiences you never forget. Off the topic completely, but we visited a building that I assume was the Lionel Train headquarters. They had a massive layout with several levels of trains of all gauges.
Last edited by puma guy on Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

puma guy wrote:
WildBill wrote:
You're right. Forgot that. It was a really neat place to put it the vernacular of a ten year old, which I was when we visited. It's one of those experiences you never forget. Off the topic completely, but we visited a building that I assume was the Lionel Train headquarters. They had a massive layout with several levels of trains of all gauges.
I had a Lionel train set when I was a kid. Sigh!
NRA Endowment Member

Return to “Off-Topic”