Massive tornado outbreak forecast this weekend

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

cb1000rider
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Massive tornado outbreak forecast this weekend

Post by cb1000rider »

I've decided the next time I have to do any substantial digging.. And I call it "digging" when it's really rock breaking - we're going to install a pre-built shelter underground. It's just unnerving to me to be in a stick and brick home during one of these things, there just isn't much protection.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Good to know. I iPhone weather app (WeatherBug) says there's a 30% chance of thunderstorms locally on Sunday, but it doesn't mention anything else.
cb1000rider wrote:I've decided the next time I have to do any substantial digging.. And I call it "digging" when it's really rock breaking - we're going to install a pre-built shelter underground. It's just unnerving to me to be in a stick and brick home during one of these things, there just isn't much protection.
Trouble is, I don't know where I would put such a thing on my property. There just isn't any room for it.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Trouble is, I don't know where I would put such a thing on my property. There just isn't any room for it.
I dunno where you live, but I've seen the things discreetly placed in flower beds. Basically what's exposed is largely the entrance to the structure, which can be whatever size you can fit in. Obviously gotta watch what you're digging up however.

I should have been smart and put one in while digging a septic tank - placed it under the future foundation of the house. Expose a hatch in the garage, or better yet under some wood flooring..

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

well, heck, they've lowered it further south. it originally wasn't going to come much further than Waco. :roll:
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

The probability is greater for large hail and damaging winds than tornadoes, but there is a possibility of all. The dry line will be west of I-35W Saturday evening, then the dry line will stall and be over I-35E on Sunday afternoon. This will bring the greatest chance for severe weather to the Metroplex.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Sidro
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Sidro »

No rest for the wicked they say. Being a weather watcher in the county I live in means not much of a weekend for me as to relaxation. Had a small system move through yesterday about 6pm and had storm chasers all around me, that gets a little spooky.

krieghoff
Posts in topic: 1

Post by krieghoff »

Sidro wrote:No rest for the wicked they say. Being a weather watcher in the county I live in means not much of a weekend for me as to relaxation. Had a small system move through yesterday about 6pm and had storm chasers all around me, that gets a little spooky.

Years ago my sister & family lived in Crowell just west of you. This time of year I think they spent about half of their time in a storm shelter. Something they don't miss today...
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Native Texan
CHL Holder Since 1996

Wodathunkit

Post by Wodathunkit »

Sidro wrote:No rest for the wicked they say. Being a weather watcher in the county I live in means not much of a weekend for me as to relaxation. Had a small system move through yesterday about 6pm and had storm chasers all around me, that gets a little spooky.
Wow, that would be quite unnerving seeing storm chasers in your front yard! To me, they would be as welcome as Mosquitos!
"Character is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking" - J.C. watts Jr.
CHL since Jan. 2013
53 days mailbox to mailbox.

GeekwithaGun

Post by GeekwithaGun »

Just great, well if there is damaging hail we have a new roof being installed the following week from the April 3rd storm.
NRA Life Member

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Trouble is, I don't know where I would put such a thing on my property. There just isn't any room for it.
There are companies that will put one in under your garage. Here is only one example. http://www.flatsafe.com/
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

When we remodeled a few years ago, we made our master walk in closet a safe room. We had the walls and ceiling poured in 6" reinforced concrete and lined with 10 guage steel. The door to the closet is a wooden door that opens for normal use but a 1/2" steel door on the inside with steel inner hinges and steel locks. It is supposed to be able to withstand a 400 mph wind and any rifle shot available on the open market.

This was built because my wife was afraid of tornadoes since she went through one in Amarillo many years ago. When we hired a structural engineer to design it, I had him make it virtually bullet proof also. This give a place for wife and grandkids to retreat to in case of a break in or Zombie Apocalypse :evil2:
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

That's interesting.. Have any photos of the renovation? I imagine that pouring concrete into an existing stick and brick home was quite a project?

ELB

Post by ELB »

Ran across these in a similar thread on another board a few days ago.
http://www.familysafemo.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=39.4295 ... ic&dg=ntvb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Google maps picture is a green fiberglass shell that's buried in the yard with just a hatch exposed. No idea who makes it.

Hope the storms stay away, or at least wait until next week, I plan to be shooting my AK in Waco this weekend. My AK and I have trained in the rain before, but I am not keen on taking hail strikes. (I'm sure my AK wouldn't flinch tho... :) ).
USAF 1982-2005

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Pawpaw wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:Trouble is, I don't know where I would put such a thing on my property. There just isn't any room for it.
There are companies that will put one in under your garage. Here is only one example. http://www.flatsafe.com/
Just be sure on what you are getting http://www.nbcdfw.com/investigations/Ex ... 92331.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Return to “Off-Topic”