Need "Chickens for Dummies" advice

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Divided Attention
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Need "Chickens for Dummies" advice

Post by Divided Attention »

jmra wrote:
WildBill wrote:Nothing's better for breakfast than fresh eggs from a free ranging chicken. :drool:
:iagree:
Had some neighbors who preferred duck eggs. Claimed they were better tasting and better for you. Might have to look into that. I can't have chickens in my neighborhood but I bet I could get away with cute little ducks. :mrgreen:
We had ducks - layers - Indian Runners. They lay a lot of eggs, up to 300/year, as good as many good laying chickens. The eggs are a little bigger, they taste great, and are amazing for baking!

The drawback to ducks - don't roost, so have to be cooped each night. We lost more to feral cats during the day as they are very nosy, and didn't seem to care about cats or dogs. They were a lot of fun, but easier to loose to predation from my experience. Ducks do not need a pond, just enough water to clean their beaks. The do enjoy a wading pool to play in, but are hard on your yard as they dabble holes, and are quite messy. I would have them if I had a place enclosed for them to roam during the day. They really were fun!

Edited to add: http://www.backyardpoultrymag.com/duck- ... gger=mames
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; Psalm 144:1-2
CHL - 2010; NRA RSO - 2011, NRA Chief RSO - 2014
NRA Pistol Instructor -2013, NRA Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor - 2015
Lifetime NRA Member - 2013

Return to “Off-Topic”