Train horn complaints

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
uthornsfan
Posts in topic: 4

Train horn complaints

Post by uthornsfan »

Just wondering if anyone has any insights on who to complain to about train horns. I recently moved knowing full well how close to the tracks we were. However all the crossings near us have a no train horn sign posted but they come through at all times of night on the horn like they are about to plow into a bus full of kids and old people. We are in the city so was just wondering if there is anything to be done about it.

bubba84
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Train horn complaints

Post by bubba84 »

I don't believe the "no train horn" signs are for the trains. I believe they are used to alert motorists that there might not be a train horn.

http://www.fra.dot.gov/Page/P0104" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ddstuder

Post by ddstuder »

I would not recommend doing this. :nono:

I've heard stories about what happens when the RR receives complaints about horns. They take offense to this and tend to use the horns much more in areas that complain.

I was working in Ocean Springs MS and staying in a hotel located by the tracks. The owner of the hotel had complained about the horns waking his guests. After fighting with them for several months, the engineers would blow the horn with a solid blast for the complete length of the building at all hours of the night. When they passed by during the day, they would only give a short blast. After three nights, we had to move to another hotel.
Guns are like parachutes, if your ever in a situation that you need one and you dont have one, you'll probably never need one again.

strider67

Post by strider67 »

Didn't Ricky and Lucy stay in a hotel by a train track back in the 50's? Anyway, maybe it will be like living by an airport; after a while you never hear the planes...

A friend recently started working for one of the large railroad companies. I'll see if he can ask around to see if you might have any options perhaps.
"When things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plum, mad-dog mean. Cuz' if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win...that's just the way it is." - The Outlaw Josey Wales

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

honestly, I know it sounds trite, but you will get use to it. and you will notice when trains are off schedule.

when I was a young teen we lived for a while with my grandfather, he was one house away from the tracks, it kept us awake for a few nights, then we finally started sleeping, then we got to the point we didn't notice unless it was at the wrong times.

same with this place, we're on the flight path for Randolph AFB, we don't notice unless they're flying differently than normal, ie, different path, lower, etc.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

jmra

Post by jmra »

I've lived in my current house for five years and am still not use to the rooster on the other side of the tree line. God help him if I ever get a good shot lined up. :mrgreen:
Moving from a congested area to a rural area took some getting used to (the lack of noise). The first year or so I didn't sleep well at all. Now, the slightest noise will wake me.
Many people are able to adjust over time, but I doubt I could ever adjust to living next to tracks close to a crossing.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

jimlongley
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jimlongley »

strider67 wrote:Didn't Ricky and Lucy stay in a hotel by a train track back in the 50's? Anyway, maybe it will be like living by an airport; after a while you never hear the planes...

A friend recently started working for one of the large railroad companies. I'll see if he can ask around to see if you might have any options perhaps.
Grew up in a hamlet with a major railroad presence, our two crossings, we only had a couple of roads too, always got the Morse Code 'Q' both ways several times per night, and as suggested above, the only time we noticed the horns was when the trains were off schedule. Back in the steam days when a large consist came up out of the valley, pulled by a 4-6-6-4 Challenger, the pounding of the drivers shook houses for miles around. You didn't display your good china on racks on the wall.

A few years ago I was teaching a class in Dalhart TX. In the middle of downtown Dalhart is (was) a 2x2 grade crossing and two wyes. East of the crossing is a small road yard, and north of the crossing another, with various industries and sidings scattered all up and down the city. Corporate travel put me up at the Econo Lodge in a room that could only have been closer to the northbound to eastbound wye if it had been on the tracks. After a night of switching, hooting, and banging that put anything in "I Love Lucy" or "My Cousin Vinny" to shame, I moved to the Best Western across the street. It wasn't an improvement in noise levels but at least they had a pool and free WiFi.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

ddstuder wrote:I would not recommend doing this. :nono:

I've heard stories about what happens when the RR receives complaints about horns. They take offense to this and tend to use the horns much more in areas that complain.

I was working in Ocean Springs MS and staying in a hotel located by the tracks. The owner of the hotel had complained about the horns waking his guests. After fighting with them for several months, the engineers would blow the horn with a solid blast for the complete length of the building at all hours of the night. When they passed by during the day, they would only give a short blast. After three nights, we had to move to another hotel.
Only took me 1 night to change hotels (B&B) in Vicksburg for the same reason. Bedroom window wasn't 50 feet from the tracks. :roll:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

"I recently moved knowing full well how close to the tracks we were."

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

This will tell you everything you need to know about quiet zones http://www.fra.dot.gov/Page/P0104" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

jmra wrote:I've lived in my current house for five years and am still not use to the rooster on the other side of the tree line. God help him if I ever get a good shot lined up. :mrgreen:
And anyone who thinks they only crow in the morning is mistaken...
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

baron
Banned

Post by baron »

ddstuder wrote:I would not recommend doing this. :nono:

They're lucky they didn't do this while my girlfriend was on a business trip. I wager even money they would've got a "time out" the second night, even if it took a derailment to make her point. :evil2:

Topic author
uthornsfan

Post by uthornsfan »

Its less for me and more for my wife. She is such a light sleeper.. Anyway, happy wife happy life. We are looking into soundproofing/deadening our windows which should help damper the sound.

Once I am asleep they dont bother me at all.

Thanks for the links.

Topic author
uthornsfan

Post by uthornsfan »

Keith B wrote:This will tell you everything you need to know about quiet zones http://www.fra.dot.gov/Page/P0104" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Keith,

I looked this up and it shows Austin as a "New" quiet zone on the "UP" line I assume. I have no idea what this info means.

Return to “Off-Topic”