Things to do around Orlando?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

ddstuder
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Things to do around Orlando?

Post by ddstuder »

Syntyr wrote:
ddstuder wrote:Best thing to do in Orlando is to LEAVE! :smilelol5:
Orlando is too congested and Humid. Too far from the ocean.
Meh... I'm from Houston, it's not really hot until it's in the 90's with 80% humidity... :smilelol5: oh and have you driven on 610 between 59 and 290? Oy vay!

So your saying just like home! "rlol"

EXACTLY!! :rolll

If you have to put up with it everyday, you should try to escape it when you're trying to relax!

Have a safe trip!
Guns are like parachutes, if your ever in a situation that you need one and you dont have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Topic author
Syntyr
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Syntyr »

Oldgringo wrote:When we lived there, 30 years ago, you could always find some 'action' on the SOBT. :mrgreen:

Hmmmm SOBT School of Oregon Ballet Theater? Bulgarian Special Operations Team? Submarine On Board Training?

The wife is going with me so I think maybe I shouldn't be looking for "action" "rlol" but thanks anyways!
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

Topic author
Syntyr
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Syntyr »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Get yourself out to the Kennedy space center/Cape Canaveral. There are two very good guided tours there, plus a rocket park that puts all others to shame. Also, not far from the space center there's a law enforcement museum that is both interesting and very moving. One of the exhibits there is the Fort Worth squad car of a FWPD officer who was shot and killed just a few years ago.....can't think of his name off the top of my head as I'm typing this.

The beaches at Coco Beach are real nice this time of year (we stayed at the Best Western Coco Beach, right on the sand). There are also some nearby kayak tours of the bayous which are also managed preserves.

I really enjoyed my trip there and would gladly go back. Coco Beach is about 40 minutes west of Orlando.
Thanks TAM. Will look at the Cape as you and other have suggested. I will check out Coco beach as well. I like to take pictures of the beach...
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

Dragonfighter
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Dragonfighter »

Clearwater is nice too. On the Gulf side.
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

A business colleague took his wife and children to mouse world (over 20 years ago) and spent $5000.00 plus for the privilege of staying at mouse world hotel, eating in their restaurant, and standing in line for hours on end being jostled by screaming kids to ride their rides.

Their stay lasted 3 days.

You couldn't pay ME $5000.00 for the same thing.

Theme parks are for me something so synthetic and bizarre that I just can't imagine ever going to another. Yes, I once took my small daughter to Six Flags and immediately learned my lesson.

No get off my lawn!

hillfighter
Banned

Post by hillfighter »

Be careful around Sanford. :lol:
"support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic"

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

hillfighter wrote:Be careful around Sanford. :lol:
:smilelol5: And whatever you do, for Pete's sake don't defend yourself! "rlol"
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

myntalfloss
Posts in topic: 3

Post by myntalfloss »

Number one attraction for me is the Morse Museum in Winter Park. The largest collection of Louis Comfort Tiffany art and stained glass anywhere. Even if you don't like museums, you'll like this place.
Winter Park is kind of upscale Orlando, combination of yuppie scum and old money. Lot of nice homes. Park Ave (where the museum is) is sort of a Rodeo Dr. There are a bunch of shops and good restaurants, some which have outdoor seating(Pannullos comes to mind). If you tire of upscale, just a little west on 426 (Fairbanks/Aloma) just past the RR tracks is a truly dumpy Mexican restaurant (PR's), that we used to eat at regularly. Good food, but for God's sakes, don't go in the bathrooms.

I don't know if Kennedy Space Center is still open, if it is, worth a visit. We lived on the east side of Orlando and one of the best things about living there was watching the shuttle launches from our back yard. Other than that, if you didn't go the attractions or the beach, it was like living in Southern Mississippi with more old people.

Kermit Weeks Fantasy of Flight in Polk City, about 40 miles west on I4 is worth a trip.
International Dr, near the attractions, I4 and Sand Lake Rd, has a bunch of touristy places, like Ripley's BI or N, lots of really cheap outlet stores. Also on this street is the Peabody Hotel (Ducks like Memphis) and a 7 Million sq ft convention center. If nothing else, go watch the British tourists and bet on when they'll burst into flames. T-shirts, 5 for $10.
Nudist camp on the west shore of Lake Tohopekaliga (It's Fl, adjust your expectations accordingly)
If you got shoppers with you, there are many nice malls, the Mall at Millenia is nice.
Lots of good golf.

Take toll roads when you can or you'll spend your vacation in the car.

:tiphat:

myntalfloss

Post by myntalfloss »

hillfighter wrote:Be careful around Sanford. :lol:

But his son's ok.
Sorry.
:biggrinjester:

philip964

Post by philip964 »

Downtown Disney is a shopping center with lots of restaurants like Planet Hollywood, House of Blues. No gun stores, but there is a Lego store. Its free to walk around. There is an Outlet mall that is pretty good in Orlando. No gun stores, but there is a Ralph Lauren Black Label store. Its free to walk around.

Best thing however is go in March, drop family off at Disney World and head South to Sebring and watch the 12hrs of Sebring car race.

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Keith B wrote:Go northwest of Orlando to Silver Springs State Park just outside of Ocala. Silver Springs is where the Johnny Weissmuller Tarzan movies from the 30's and 40's were filmed. Several other movies were filmed there as well. It is really beautiful.

https://www.charlotteparent.com/article ... arzan-3108" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.floridastateparks.org/silver ... efault.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They have a really nice swimming area with dive platform set up there (at least they did back when I was in the Navy). You have to be wary of alligators that often swim by....

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

myntalfloss

Post by myntalfloss »

philip964 wrote:Downtown Disney is a shopping center with lots of restaurants like Planet Hollywood, House of Blues. No gun stores, but there is a Lego store. Its free to walk around. There is an Outlet mall that is pretty good in Orlando. No gun stores, but there is a Ralph Lauren Black Label store. Its free to walk around.

Best thing however is go in March, drop family off at Disney World and head South to Sebring and watch the 12hrs of Sebring car race.

Oh yeah, the original post said no Disney, but philip964 reminded me. He's right about Downtown Disney, in addition to the things he mentioned, I highly recommend Cirque du Soleil's permanent show there, La Nouba. We've seen about six Cirque's and the one in Orlando is the best one we've seen.

There's also a couple of places that you can do free falling over a propeller (Skyventure, IFly) , which is a hoot.

Orlando is hot, humid, crowded and expensive, but if you go in with the right attitude, you can have a great time.

Return to “Off-Topic”