Police Now “Armed For War” Against Returning Veterans

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

talltex
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Police Now “Armed For War” Against Returning Veterans

Post by talltex »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Exactly. If it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck........

Look, I agree that there are severe systemic issues in this government of ours, and those issues are going to take fairly radical solutions to fix........but they are only radical if you think that the Founders were "radical". But that said, there are some media outlets on the conservative/libertarian side of things (of which I am a part) which make the rest of us look bad just because those media outlets are just so bizarre. Alex Jones is squarely in the middle of that bizarreness.
I haven't read anything by AJ...don't know anything about him except what's posted in this thread...but I watched and listened to the video of Sgt. Downing explaining why they NEEDED the MRAP to combat all the bad guys that had the "totally different weaponry" and because a lot of the veterans returning had the knowledge to build IED's and defeat law enforcement techniques". Alex Jones didn't say that...the SWAT commander said it, and there's no way to spin it to where he isn't saying he's worried about OUR veterans using their military training as a threat to defeat himself and his crew. That's just more of the US vs.THEM mentality showing itself, and using that "it's all about us being able to go home safe at night so it's worth whatever the price we have to pay" cliché to justify his attitude. He and AJ are both probably idiots...but Sgt. Downing has the "tank".
"I looked out under the sun and saw that the race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong" Ecclesiastes 9:11

"The race may not always go to the swift or the battle to the strong, but that's the way the smart money bets" Damon Runyon

nightmare
Deactivated until real name is provided
Posts in topic: 1

Post by nightmare »

"I learned a thing or two from Charlie, don't you know. You better stay away from Copperhead Road."
Equo ne credite, Teucri. Quidquid id est, timeo Danaos et dona ferentes

rbwhatever1

Post by rbwhatever1 »

I hate to break the SWAT Commanders little bubble but if "he and his crew" ever needed to be defeated by the Law Abiding Citizens of the United States that little MRAP won't help him...
III

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

I may be flamed for some of the things I say but here goes...

The whole PTSD thing is taken advantage of for gain more than as a benefit for those that need it. This has been trending downward since the Korean conflict in the fifties. It parallels a trend of becoming more self-centered and less concerned with faith in and, more importantly, fear of God Almighty. The greatest generation had a greater fear of God than the current generation does and I believe that is the greatest factor in the return to life after experiencing conflict on foreign soil.

But the PTSD thing can be split three ways...

First off, he guys who really have real issues that need to be worked out upon return from 'the land of bad things'. These guys need help but psychological practitioners usually can't continue past the psychological into the spiritual where it will actually have all the pieces back where they belong.

But what we have now is every Tom, Dick and Harry coming back get's told continually that they are screwed in the head and need help. You tell someone something long enough and they will believe it...especially someone who has been bothered by his environment the way these folks have. They have been placed into an environment that is so different from anything they have ever known that they might as well have been placed on another planet. When you tell them they will need help adjusting back, they feel like, "who am I to argue with the experts?"

Which leads to my second group. The ones who occupy the PTSD programs because they have been convinced that that is what they need whether they actually need it or not. I blame the system for this. Why not just let the troops know help is available and let them decide if they want to talk to someone about it or not. But if we did it this way, alot of psychologists would not have a job. I see the programs themselves having to justify their existence. The psychologists would feel threatened if it were realized that a chaplain might be able to better assist the few who decided to talk the things through. You wouldn't have to sign up for a program or have it entered in your records, just call the padre and ask for an appointment. It will be just as confidential and the chaplain could refer the troop to others that would be of assistance. When we came back from Desert Storm, we were told that there were folks to talk to if we felt we needed it, and it was left to us to decide.

But being as we have these massive programs brought on by an emotional need to do something for these troops and it makes us feel better about ourselves when we facilitate treatment for them whether they need it or not, we can't stop once we start or we risk looking like we don't care. This leads me to the third group and it is made up of folks who are out to get something for nothing, and being labeled PTSD is an easy way to get all forms of assistance from government coffers. The entitlement mentality is alive and well, even in our veterans. I have a buddy that I was in the gulf with and his wife are both veterans and have gotten their disability ratings upped to a point they collect a check. They are all about getting money from the government.

But those who are mismanaging our country at this time are using all three of these groups to further their political agendas. But if you are critical in any way towards our 'assistance programs', you are instantly labeled a hater on whoever that program 'serves'. When I have said some of the things I have said above, I have been told that I just don't like veterans...bullcrap, I AM a veteran.

Now, this is all just my opinion and we all know what is said about opinions...
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

For gawds' sake, our veterans aren't going to inflict harm.

You numbskulls!

Put your self in their boots.

I'm not going to go into their mind set, but imagine yourself underfire..

Would you go crazy, or would you protect those you care for...?

Return to “Off-Topic”