Zero Turn Mowers - Have or Use One?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

AFAmmo
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Zero Turn Mowers - Have or Use One?

Post by AFAmmo »

I have a 27hp Kubota and love it. It makes quick work of my 1.6 acres.

So here is another question: Do you let other people use your mower?

I try to be generous with the worldly things that God has blessed me with, but it's difficult to keep a generous spirit when I see people running into things (trees, fence posts, rocks) with my precious mower :roll:

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 9

Post by anygunanywhere »

Abraham wrote:anygunanywhere,

Do you overlap your cuts, if so, by 50% or ...,

Do you use synthetic oil (I do Mobile1 / 10W50) When I mow, I go like a bat out of hades when reasonable, you like slower and I wonder why?

Also, my mower is probably something of a hybrid, (no, not in the PC sense...) in that it's not a fully commercial quality mower, but it has some commercial qualities, i.e. a fully welded deck. It has a 23 hp Kawasaki 23hp motor and nothing slows it down except me. Plus, I really pay attention to the air filtration system.

My mowing time has been reduced by 50% from when I used the old steering wheel system. I sold my old tractor style mower to my next door neighbor and he's quite happy with my old mower, who, if my shoulder didn't give me pain, I would'nt have sold. He also knows I'm a maintenance fanatic and would get a good machine.

However, if I had to mow your acreage, I'd definitely have my wife helping. My wife's very kindly offered to mow, but I'm reluctant to let her as she's not very skillful as evidenced by her damaged car...
I have the giggles and need to keep it quiet because Mrs Anygun is in the kitchen and her hearing is purty good. I had to go behind her and straighten out some moved landscape stones after she mowed.

I overlap by around 6 inches or there a bouts.

I use what the dealer recommends. Kubota does not recommend synthetics.

I go bat out of you know where on the long smooth straightaways, but that is not a lot. Either the elevation changes or else the ground will beat you to death. Slower is easier on the old bones.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

AFAmmo wrote:I have a 27hp Kubota and love it. It makes quick work of my 1.6 acres.

So here is another question: Do you let other people use your mower?

I try to be generous with the worldly things that God has blessed me with, but it's difficult to keep a generous spirit when I see people running into things (trees, fence posts, rocks) with my precious mower :roll:
I am not certain if I would trust a man who asks to use his mower. That is like asking a man to use his wife. Un-American, I say, and bordering on just pagan.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

anygunanywhere & AFAmmo,

The only other person to use my mower (to cut MY grass) is my 18 year old
Granddaughter who is a competent ZT driver/mower. Since I'm rather OCD about the very tight spots where potential damage could occur if one is not precise, I do all the fence and house foundation trimming. The machine is so powerful if I hit a fence post of whatever it would be destroyed...and I'd rather it be me if it happens...

I let her mow around the flower beds and trees and she's only once scattered a few decorative bricks ringing some of the trees. She's very confident and got cocky. Fortunately, they were easily put back into place and the blades never touched them. She was painfully chagrined as it happened just as I stepped out to bring her some ice water. I just grinned at her and said not a word. She put the bricks back into place and we never discussed her minor miscalculation...

On the internet, I took a look at the Kubota Kommander and found there's more than one model. The ones I viewed come with low profile tires. My mower has fully pneumatic tires, which, (and maybe I'm wrong) I would guess provide a softer ride?

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Resurrecting an old thread.

Spent the last two days mowing with my Kubota Kommander. The combination of gobs of rain, the inability to mow, and the tall growth resulting from the rain AND waiting for the bluebonnet seed pods to pop and release the seeds resulted in unbelievably tall grass, weeds, and wildflowers.

Over the last three days the seed pods started popping so I decided to cut everything.

The Kubota performed flawlessly. Sharp blades and a clean deck helped.

I'm still not done. 5 acres is a bit much and I had a bumper crop of bluebonnets. They are wonderful to see in the spring but are a pain in the summer when they need cutting. I ope next year produces a bountiful display.

I am planting more bluebonnet seeds and will add Indian Paintbrushes to the property too.

AFAmmo
Posts in topic: 2

Post by AFAmmo »

I have been especially grateful for my Kubota this year. All the rain this year has brought a bumper crop of weeds. I have actually started to mow wearing a respirator mask to keep from having an allergic reaction afterwards. I'm sure that my neighbors think that I am strange, but it's been well worth it.

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

I wear a surgical mask when mowing.

My grass is very tall as I can't mow until the ground hardens.

AlaskanInTexas
Posts in topic: 1

Post by AlaskanInTexas »

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

AlaskanInTexas,

Some years back, I had a postage stamp size yard and I used an old fashion manual mower like that. I liked the exercise and have always been a glutton for physical punishment and man, mowing with that thing was punishment.

When mowing with this thing, folks walking past my house would look at me like I was an escaped lunatic...

Return to “Off-Topic”