Edge of Tommorrow movie

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 5

Edge of Tommorrow movie

Post by philip964 »

Saw Edge of Tomorrow movie this weekend. I'm glad I ended my Tom Cruise ban awhile back.

I enjoyed it. To me the best action movie this year.

Borrows a lot from other movies, Ground Hog Day the most.

Some of Saving Private Ryan, Aliens, and Starship Troopers also added in for good measure.

jmra
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Edge of Tommorrow movie

Post by jmra »

Saw it Thursday night. Enjoyed it. Without giving anything away, I thought the ending left room for a sequel. I was very surprised that the first preview of the movie (8:00) at the theater we went to had a very light crowd. Couldn't have been more than a couple dozen people.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Jumping Frog »

jmra wrote:Saw it Thursday night. Enjoyed it. Without giving anything away, I thought the ending left room for a sequel. I was very surprised that the first preview of the movie (8:00) at the theater we went to had a very light crowd. Couldn't have been more than a couple dozen people.
Tom Cruise is getting totally crushed at the box office this weekend by The Fault in our Stars. The Fault in our Stars is on track to get close to $50 million this weekend and it is clear that Tom Cruise will hit somewhere around the mid-20's. Since The Fault in our Stars only cost $12 million, it already passed breakeven by Friday night.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Wodathunkit

Post by Wodathunkit »

philip964 wrote:Saw Edge of Tomorrow movie this weekend. I'm glad I ended my Tom Cruise ban awhile back.
Me too. I thought the Jack Reacher movie he did was one of his best. Reminiscent of "A Few Good Men" but with action.
"Character is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking" - J.C. watts Jr.
CHL since Jan. 2013
53 days mailbox to mailbox.

RetNavy
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RetNavy »

Jumping Frog wrote:
jmra wrote:Saw it Thursday night. Enjoyed it. Without giving anything away, I thought the ending left room for a sequel. I was very surprised that the first preview of the movie (8:00) at the theater we went to had a very light crowd. Couldn't have been more than a couple dozen people.
Tom Cruise is getting totally crushed at the box office this weekend by The Fault in our Stars. The Fault in our Stars is on track to get close to $50 million this weekend and it is clear that Tom Cruise will hit somewhere around the mid-20's. Since The Fault in our Stars only cost $12 million, it already passed breakeven by Friday night.

took my daughter and one of her friends to the preview of "Fault in our Stars" Thursday night and stay a bit for the live Q and A afterwards... could hear hear sobbing across the aisle... (for some reason they didn't want to sit next to Dad)... only had 12 people in the preview but i think it was because they didn't advertise it in my area..

If you want to take your wife, girlfriend, daughters to a real tear jerker then this is the movie.... even my allergies were acting up during it
"Freedom itself was attacked this morning by a faceless coward. Freedom will be defended!"
-President George W. Bush, September 11, 2001

Abraham
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Abraham »

Wasn't "E of T" the title of a fifties soap opera?

So, silly me, I passed on selecting it thinking it some sort of weird, soap opera movie. Of course, I once based my movie choice on another title (Dances With Wolves) and thought it was going to be documentary...my wife is still laughing at me about that.

Guess, I'll go back to Netflix...

As for going to a girl movie, I choose Godzilla!

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

RetNavy wrote:
Jumping Frog wrote:

took my daughter and one of her friends to the preview of "Fault in our Stars" Thursday night and stay a bit for the live Q and A afterwards... could hear hear sobbing across the aisle... (for some reason they didn't want to sit next to Dad)... only had 12 people in the preview but i think it was because they didn't advertise it in my area..

If you want to take your wife, girlfriend, daughters to a real tear jerker then this is the movie.... even my allergies were acting up during it
This movie apparently is a true story. The actual young lady who is sick was apparently prettier than the actress that played her. Her boyfriend wrote a book from which the movie is made. Kind of a James Taylor story that the women just love. ("the single "Fire and Rain", a song about Taylor's experience in psychiatric institutions and the suicide of his friend, Suzanne Schnerr." for those of you not around in the '70's, its a tear jerker too)

I guess, since I have never seen action, I like action movies, but since I have seen "Fault in our Stars" first hand, I have no interest in seeing this movie. I didn't even like seeing the preview a few weeks ago.

RetNavy

Post by RetNavy »

Jumping Frog wrote:
Cruise got beat by a cartoon also, came in third....
"Freedom itself was attacked this morning by a faceless coward. Freedom will be defended!"
-President George W. Bush, September 11, 2001

Rex B

Post by Rex B »

"Fault" sounds like this generation's "Love Story". ("What can you say about a girl that died?")

Cruise will do OK, first weekend notwithstanding. I'll go see it.
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

Cedar Park Dad
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

Jumping Frog wrote:
Daughter just went to see Fault in Our Stars with friends. Won't voluntarily see a Tom Cruise film, despite "All You Need is Kill" being an epic in Manga. Won't spend a dollar to see that flake Tom Cruise.

OldCannon

Post by OldCannon »

Edge of Tomorrow was titled "All You Need Is Kill" in book form.

The movie was fantastic, definitely a solid "action" movie with a nice plot (a better storyline than the original book, IMHO!). What caught me offguard were some of the humorous parts in the movie, which I enjoyed.

Definitely recommend. :thumbs2:
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

Tom Cruise starts off this movie by being a total jerk, which he plays very well. The humor in the movie was very good. I saw Jack Reacher a second time on DVD and enjoyed it as much as the first time.

I stopped going to his movies when he was being all Scientologist. I did not want to support that at all. He isn't in the news about that anymore so I have ended my boycott.

Although in third place in the USA the movie did very well overseas. The similarities with D-Day and its release on the anniversary were surprising and unexpected.

Keith B

Re: Edge of Tomorrow movie

Post by Keith B »

Abraham wrote:Wasn't "E of T" the title of a fifties soap opera?
There were two soap operas; 'The Edge of Night' and 'Search for Tomorrow'. The Edge of Night ran from 1956 - 1984, and Search for Tomorrow ran from 1951 - 1986. The only reason I know this is my Mom used to watch her 'stories' as they called them and when you only had one TV in the house you didn't dare interrupt those times. :cool:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Abraham
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Abraham »

Keith,

Thanks!

I remember those days and the weird organ music all soap operas used at that time.

Those organs used to give me the heebie-jeebies...

The actors all seemed like "pod people" and the story lines, fuhgeddaboudit...

jbarn

Post by jbarn »

Cedar Park Dad wrote:
Jumping Frog wrote:
Daughter just went to see Fault in Our Stars with friends. Won't voluntarily see a Tom Cruise film, despite "All You Need is Kill" being an epic in Manga. Won't spend a dollar to see that flake Tom Cruise.
My daughter is a voracious reader, and a pretty good amatuer author. She read The Fault in our Stars last summer and had to tell me about it as she read it. I am an action move, comedy, and Sci Fi movie kind of guy. I dislike horror and "love stories". However, I have agreed to see this movie with my daughter. (She is 18).
Texas CHL Instructor
Texas DPS Certified Private Security Classroom and Firearms Instructor
TCLEOSE Instructor (now TCOLE)

Return to “Off-Topic”