Edge of Tommorrow movie

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

RetNavy
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Edge of Tommorrow movie

Post by RetNavy »

jbarn wrote:
Cedar Park Dad wrote:
Jumping Frog wrote:
jmra wrote:Saw it Thursday night. Enjoyed it. Without giving anything away, I thought the ending left room for a sequel. I was very surprised that the first preview of the movie (8:00) at the theater we went to had a very light crowd. Couldn't have been more than a couple dozen people.
Tom Cruise is getting totally crushed at the box office this weekend by The Fault in our Stars. The Fault in our Stars is on track to get close to $50 million this weekend and it is clear that Tom Cruise will hit somewhere around the mid-20's. Since The Fault in our Stars only cost $12 million, it already passed breakeven by Friday night.
Daughter just went to see Fault in Our Stars with friends. Won't voluntarily see a Tom Cruise film, despite "All You Need is Kill" being an epic in Manga. Won't spend a dollar to see that flake Tom Cruise.
My daughter is a voracious reader, and a pretty good amatuer author. She read The Fault in our Stars last summer and had to tell me about it as she read it. I am an action move, comedy, and Sci Fi movie kind of guy. I dislike horror and "love stories". However, I have agreed to see this movie with my daughter. (She is 18).

take lots of tissues for your allergies..... ;-)
"Freedom itself was attacked this morning by a faceless coward. Freedom will be defended!"
-President George W. Bush, September 11, 2001

Cedar Park Dad
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

As both my parents died from cancer I wouldn't get near that movie if the 18 wheelers dragged me there.

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 5

Post by philip964 »

Your not cute and photogenic when you die of cancer.

The only positve thing about dieing of cancer is you have time to say good bye.

The last thing it is, is romantic

jmra
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jmra »

Cedar Park Dad wrote:As both my parents died from cancer I wouldn't get near that movie if the 18 wheelers dragged me there.
:iagree:
Watched my mom fight for several years including treatments at MD Anderson and Bethesda medical center. No thanks.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Keith B

Re: Edge of Tomorrow movie

Post by Keith B »

Cancer is all about how the individual approaches it. In the case of this movie, the young girl posted video blogs and kept an upbeat attitude through her fight with the nasty beast. She did lose, but she lived every minute of her life with a good attitude and went out fighting.

A good friend of mine is an oncologist. He says there is proof that attitude and willpower are some of the best tools in battling cancer. The number of survivors who fight and do it while keeping their spirits up well outweigh those who get depressed and give up hope.

So, while I have lost several friends and family members to the Big C, I applaud anyone who fights it and lives their lives to the fullest while doing so and will probably see this movie at some point. :thumbs2:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Post by The Annoyed Man »

philip964 wrote:Your not cute and photogenic when you die of cancer.

The only positve thing about dieing of cancer is you have time to say good bye.

The last thing it is, is romantic
This. I've had a stomach full enough of this to last me a lifetime. Father, father in law, mother in law, a number of cherished friends. Don't need to pay to see some romantic fancy about it.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Abraham
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Abraham »

Just visited this thread.

Almost, everyone in my family has died of cancer.

I've had cancer and so far I'm good to go.

Mine was easy to treat: Melanoma - which is 95% fatal if not discovered in time, due to metastasis. Mine was discovered early and treated with a bit of minor surgery.

However, if (as I expect) when cancer of the (fill in the blank) comes along, I'll let it kill me.

No heroic measures for me.

When my sister had a cancer diagnosis she was of the same mind, no heroics. The doctors worked hard at convincing her she should allow them to perform radiation and chemo.

Result: Fried kidneys requiring dialysis every three or four days. This was worst than the lung cancer she suffered from.

Ultimately, she decided to quit dialysis and died the next day.

I have (as I'm sure many of you do...) more stories that say: The quality of your last days is much higher if you forego treatment.

Note: This attitude is not for the young, but for those of us well into our sixties or older. Yes, I acknowledge sometimes treatment for the young may be appropriate and extend the length and quality of their lives.

P.S. We in the west don't like to accept that we're not immortal. Sorry, but you will die. Some day. Me, I want to go out without spending my time in more agony from the treatment that the disease...

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 5

Post by philip964 »

Keith B wrote:Cancer is all about how the individual approaches it. In the case of this movie, the young girl posted video blogs and kept an upbeat attitude through her fight with the nasty beast. She did lose, but she lived every minute of her life with a good attitude and went out fighting.

A good friend of mine is an oncologist. He says there is proof that attitude and willpower are some of the best tools in battling cancer. The number of survivors who fight and do it while keeping their spirits up well outweigh those who get depressed and give up hope.

So, while I have lost several friends and family members to the Big C, I applaud anyone who fights it and lives their lives to the fullest while doing so and will probably see this movie at some point. :thumbs2:
What I really hate is the not telling you the truth, or lets say "looking on the bright side" to encourage this positive outlook.

Being a doctor is a hard job. It is no fun telling a patient that they have a 2% chance of living.

I have had two, one relative and one friend, who the doctor's did not level with them. In one case, after my friend had died, a nurse who was also a friend said "oh that is a death sentence", then when I didn't believe them, she brought out a book that said "80% die within a month. 100% of patients are dead within 5 years". Even the ones with the positive outlook died.

My wife wanted to be a surrogate for her much younger sister in law, as they wanted to have a baby and after the surgery, she wouldn't be able to have a baby. She went to see her doctor, to see if she could take hormones and be a surrogate. The doctor said "why would your brother want to raise a child by himself?" "What!" was my wife's response. The doctor told her that her sister in law would die from the cancer she had, even before my wife could give birth. My wife kept it to herself. After a long, painful and costly struggle my sister in law died of the cancer, that no one had ever told her would take her life. A day before she died, even though no doctor had told her, she figured out on her own, despite what she had been told, she was dying. My sister in law was 32. The doctor's niece had died from the same cancer at 19.

Cancer sucks.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

philip964 wrote:
Keith B wrote:Cancer is all about how the individual approaches it. In the case of this movie, the young girl posted video blogs and kept an upbeat attitude through her fight with the nasty beast. She did lose, but she lived every minute of her life with a good attitude and went out fighting.

What I really hate is the not telling you the truth, or lets say "looking on the bright side" to encourage this positive outlook.

Being a doctor is a hard job. It is no fun telling a patient that they have a 2% chance of living.

I have had two, one relative and one friend, who the doctor's did not level with them. In one case, after my friend had died, a nurse who was also a friend said "oh that is a death sentence", then when I didn't believe them, she brought out a book that said "80% die within a month. 100% of patients are dead within 5 years". Even the ones with the positive outlook died.

My wife wanted to be a surrogate for her much younger sister in law, as they wanted to have a baby and after the surgery, she wouldn't be able to have a baby. She went to see her doctor, to see if she could take hormones and be a surrogate. The doctor said "why would your brother want to raise a child by himself?" "What!" was my wife's response. The doctor told her that her sister in law would die from the cancer she had, even before my wife could give birth. My wife kept it to herself. After a long, painful and costly struggle my sister in law died of the cancer, that no one had ever told her would take her life. A day before she died, even though no doctor had told her, she figured out on her own, despite what she had been told, she was dying. My sister in law was 32. The doctor's niece had died from the same cancer at 19.

Cancer sucks.
Yes it does. And I have had several friends and relatives that have died from it. But, I know several who have lived way longer than expected and some who have survived because they were determined to have a positive attitude and do what they could to beat it. The ones who fight have a much better chance than those who give up. I am all for telling them them the truth, but telling them that it is a guaranteed death sentence when there's a 20% chance of treatment working is IMO a cop out of the Doctor who doesn't want to try and work with them to beat it.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Attitude also makes a great impact on the quality of life regardless how long the patient survives.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Abraham
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Abraham »

I read an article about a woman with cancer and how everyone insisted she smile and act happy. When she simply couldn't they treated her poorly.

That stinks.

You can't insist someone with (perhaps, terminal cancer) act joyful.

Yes, trying to be positive and have a good attitude has benefits, but you can't demand it of those who are suffering. You can encourage it very, very gently and that is all.

To insist is cruel.

Seburiel

Post by Seburiel »

I hate to break this one to everyone, but 'The Fault in our Stars' isn't based on a true story - it's a work of fiction by John Green.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fault_in_Our_Stars" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And the movie has been changed from the book in some fairly significant ways.
Not that it isn't a good film, but it isn't real life.

The Marshal

Post by The Marshal »

Edge of Tomorrow was a great Sci-Fi movie. It was a well done movie.
The SCAR 5.56 got some face time. It was the rifle sans stock on their "Backpacks" or whatever they called their armor.

Tom may be a strange person in real life, but he is a very good actor. ;-)

Dragonfighter

Post by Dragonfighter »

We, as a family had been on a Cruise diet, not so much a ban, as there were several things in his life (a lot to do with who he was while with Nicole Kidman) and movies that made us not want to watch him any more. BUT, with "War of the Worlds" and the latter two MI films we decided his stuff might be okay again. That said I saw one at the station the other day that I had never heard of, "Oblivion". That was a good movie. A little hard to follow in between emergency calls but it was good. "The Last Samurai" was an excellent movie I thought. That said, "Jack Reacher" and the "Edge of Tomorrow" are low priority...Dollar Movie or Netflix kind of priority. Mostly because I have a very limited movie budget and that goes to our Marvel/Transformers/Star Trek addictions.

I will not see a movie centering around a cancer suffering protagonist. I too have lost too many to it and have sat while some dear friends have taken their last. Just went through this gut wrenching process with my BIL. Cobra Pilot then Instructor who saved a student, crew chief and two others in a Huey crash while his back and pelvis was crushed (due to being at controls instead of bracing). Told he would never walk, control his bowels or have sex he defied all and even flew again for Bell.

He lived a life wracked with pain and spent so much time taking care of my sister, by the time he relented and went to the doctors, we was eaten up. Seeing (hearing really, they lived in VA) such a warrior reduced to a mass of tubes who couldn't get to a toilet on his own while being "brave" was too much. The Arlington ceremony was the last thing I would ever have to do with him. I cannot fathom seeking out a movie like this for entertainment or catharsis or whatever.

The one exception, "The Shootist".
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

Return to “Off-Topic”