Smith Thompson Home Security

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
tomdavis
Posts in topic: 2

Smith Thompson Home Security

Post by tomdavis »

We are about to change from ADT to Smith Thompson Security for our home. I like the cell connection and battery backup--an of course the savings. Does anyone know a reason why that is not a good idea? Has anyone had a bad experience with STS?
...for as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom – for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself. Arbroath, 4/6/1320.

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Smith Thompson Home Security

Post by sjfcontrol »

If you have the equipment already, and just need monitoring -- I don't think NextAlarm can be beat. http://www.nextalarm.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

We have those features, but from DFW Security, and our account was set up by a friend of ours. The monitoring is through Alarm.com, and we control our system by means of an iPhone app. The system does not rely on a landline and it has a battery backup that, we've found out during power failures of hours length, keeps the system running.

We really like this system much better than the old-school one we had before.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

I made the same switch and don't regret it at all. Their customer service is excellent. Plus you get a month free if you pay for the year up front.
Psalm 91:2

mrvmax
Posts in topic: 3

Post by mrvmax »

I used Simplisafe and installed it myself. You have to pay for the equipment but monitoring is fairy cheap and it works on a cell signal.

jbarn
Posts in topic: 4

Post by jbarn »

mrvmax wrote:I used Simplisafe and installed it myself. You have to pay for the equipment but monitoring is fairy cheap and it works on a cell signal.
I looked at them. Is your keypad backlit? I never could tell.
Texas CHL Instructor
Texas DPS Certified Private Security Classroom and Firearms Instructor
TCLEOSE Instructor (now TCOLE)

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

jbarn wrote:
mrvmax wrote:I used Simplisafe and installed it myself. You have to pay for the equipment but monitoring is fairy cheap and it works on a cell signal.
The worse thing about it, the LCD display is but the keypad is not. The only other complaint is that my old system had a feature called "quick exit". It would allow me to exit when going to work in the morning and arm the alarm when the door shuts. Now I have to turn it off, leave and arm it in the "home" mode from my phone.

jbarn
Posts in topic: 4

Post by jbarn »

mrvmax wrote:
jbarn wrote:
The worse thing about it, the LCD display is but the keypad is not. The only other complaint is that my old system had a feature called "quick exit". It would allow me to exit when going to work in the morning and arm the alarm when the door shuts. Now I have to turn it off, leave and arm it in the "home" mode from my phone.

Thanks.

I bought a 2Gig system from an Ebay dealer. I already several Ademco wireless transmitters, so I just purchased more. I installed it myself. It speaks, identifies each point in the system, and is handled through Alarm.com. I can arm it in home mode with an exit delay when I leave, or away mode. I can do so from the keypad, keychain remote or smartphone. It also has Zwave for home control features.
Texas CHL Instructor
Texas DPS Certified Private Security Classroom and Firearms Instructor
TCLEOSE Instructor (now TCOLE)

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

jbarn wrote:
I bought a 2Gig system from an Ebay dealer. I already several Ademco wireless transmitters, so I just purchased more. I installed it myself. It speaks, identifies each point in the system, and is handled through Alarm.com. I can arm it in home mode with an exit delay when I leave, or away mode. I can do so from the keypad, keychain remote or smartphone. It also has Zwave for home control features.
That is pretty slick. I'll be doing something similar in my next home, especially if its not pre-wired already.
Psalm 91:2

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

jbarn wrote:
mrvmax wrote:
jbarn wrote:

Thanks.

I would have liked to try something like that but I was under a time crunch (I switched over to U-Verse and never stopped to think about how my alarm would work. The AT&T people had problems with my phone line so I could not use it for my old alarm. My previous alarm company wanted about $450 to switch it over to a cell signal). Since I needed something quick I ordered the Simplisafe system. How much did your 2Gig system cost?

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Do home alarm systems do more than provide piece of mind?

Any statistics that prove it?

slowpoke

Post by slowpoke »

Abraham wrote:Do home alarm systems do more than provide piece of mind?

Any statistics that prove it?
Yes they do. Our alarm is loud enough to wake the neighbors,alerting them to trouble, we have a 4 to 5 min. response from the police.
Our neighborhood is proactive, an alarm gets everyone up on their toes.

Plus a homeowners discount on insurence .

Bill
CHL 2002
NRA life member
TSRA Endowment member
TWA member

92f-fan

Post by 92f-fan »

Back on topic I have two systems monitored by ST

NO issues - professional and good value

Would like a iphone app but dont expect one for $17 a month

Topic author
tomdavis

Post by tomdavis »

92f-fan wrote:Back on topic I have two systems monitored by ST

NO issues - professional and good value

Would like a iphone app but dont expect one for $17 a month
Thanks for responding to my original question. I agree that the $17 app is something I may do some day.
...for as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom – for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself. Arbroath, 4/6/1320.

Ed4032

Post by Ed4032 »

We made the same switch from ADT to Smith Thompson several years ago. Never any regrets. Great company and the owner is very much pro gun!!
Gun control is like stopping drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to drive.

NRA Life Member

Return to “Off-Topic”