Do You Wait Until Your Car/Truck Batt Dies?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

VMI77
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Do You Wait Until Your Car/Truck Batt Dies?

Post by VMI77 »

I run em' until they die....they I charge them up, and if they take the charge, I run em' a little longer. We have jumper cables in each car and I've yet to have either me or my wife stranded by a dead battery. I also have a jump starter that is kept charged and ready for vehicles, lawn mower, or generator.

BTW, the battery in my wife's Miata lasted 8 years.....then I trickle charged it and got another 2 years out of it.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

GTRich94

Post by GTRich94 »

I run them till they die and then if they happen to be under warranty, I'll get them replaced at the dealership. If they are out of warranty, I pick one up at Walmart or Auto-Zone. Maybe I've just had really bad luck, but dealer batteries stink and I've yet to have a new car in the past 15 years or so whose batter lasted much more than a year. It doesn't seem to be single car manufacturer either. I've had dealer batteries go bad inside or shortly after a year in four Ford's, two Honda's, one Pontiac and one Toyota. Replace the factory battery with one from Auto-Zone or Walmart and the things seem to last forever (or at least until I get rid of the car after 4 or 5 years).
Thanks,
Rich

jmra
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jmra »

I don't think I've ever had a battery that didn't last at least 5 years.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

nightmare69
Posts in topic: 3

Post by nightmare69 »

jmra wrote:I don't think I've ever had a battery that didn't last at least 5 years.
Walmart brand neverstart last 2-3yrs. I only buy the factory motorcraft brand for my fords.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

talltex
Posts in topic: 3

Post by talltex »

nightmare69 wrote:
jmra wrote:I don't think I've ever had a battery that didn't last at least 5 years.
Walmart brand neverstart last 2-3yrs. I only buy the factory motorcraft brand for my fords.
Sorry to burst your Motorcraft bubble, but the "factory Motorcraft brand" isn't made by Ford...they are manufactured by Johnson Controls, as are most of the other auto manufacturer's OEM batteries. Johnson Controls also makes batteries for other retail brands sold under various names such as Interstate, Everstart, Diehard, Energizer, and so on. There are only 3 or 4 battery manufacturers that produce them for everyone else but 80% are made by Johnson Controls or Exide. Johnson Controls is the biggest, second is Exide...GM used to make it's own under the Delco brand. but they sold it to Johnson Controls several years ago. Both Johnson Controls and Exide produce batteries sold by Walmart under their Everstart store label.
Last edited by talltex on Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I looked out under the sun and saw that the race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong" Ecclesiastes 9:11

"The race may not always go to the swift or the battle to the strong, but that's the way the smart money bets" Damon Runyon

ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

I basically log when they are purchased and then replace at 4years. I keep a solar powered trickle charger on the lawn tractor because the factory battery lasted less than 2 years.
NRA Member
Amateur Radio Operator

Return to “Off-Topic”