wheelchair for a large dog - or any help / advice

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

RPBrown
Posts in topic: 3

Re: wheelchair for a large dog - or any help / advice

Post by RPBrown »

I applaud you on your efforts and I hope his long term healing is successful.
When we put our big boy in his wheelchair, it took a couple of weeks for him to get used to it. He would do a little better each day though. Now he just wakes up, barks to get it on so he can go out. I even poured a concrete ramp and a heavy plastic air curtain out the back door so it can be left open like a giant doggie door so he can come and go as he pleases.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 5

Post by SewTexas »

she'll get use to it. what I've seen on the corgi carts, if they are totally paralyzed, they will put a strap around the back legs to hold them up. But since your pup is trying to move her legs, I would say let her so the muscles get some movement, it's got to be good for her.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Topic author
PBR
Posts in topic: 14

Post by PBR »

Well she is getting better, she can actually walk around little bit without the wheel chair now. She needs help getting upon her feet but she can go once up. Her left leg is still weakest part though, once she stops she can't stay balanced and falls over or sometimes the left foot folds under her and she falls over. Still a long ways to go but this is just more hope for a full recovery.

Houston, Tx.
DPS Received - Jan. 26th
Received Pin# - Feb. 25th
IN HAND!!!!!! June 9th

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

That is fantastic news.

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 5

Post by SewTexas »

wow! how cool is that!!!!
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

jmra
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jmra »

carlson1 wrote:That is fantastic news.
:iagree: Glad to hear things are going well.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Topic author
PBR

Post by PBR »

SRO1911 wrote:http://www.carecredit.com/

One of our fur kids needed surgery last year - no way we could afford it and we did not qualify for the vets in house financing, we started saying our goodbyes when a very sweet young lady in the waiting room pulled us aside and showed us the care credit system.
I didnt think i would qualify, I had bought cars before - but never had a credit card and did not want one. This changed my tune, its still a credit card, and the payments come due every month BUT - they are currently doing either 12 or 18 months no interest.
Yea I applied online but was turned down due to "Insufficient Credit History". I have never had a credit card or bought anything on credit, always was the cash type person, if couldn't pay cash for it then I didn't need it type of mind. Although I'm hoping it might of been for the good now. I think she will recover now, and with surgery only being little more than 50/50 chance I'm glad she is coming through on her own but it's a great option if you qualify and good to know
Houston, Tx.
DPS Received - Jan. 26th
IN HAND!!!!!! June 9th

Selina Kyle

Post by Selina Kyle »

Aww, bless her heart! I'm glad to see things are going well for your sweet girl. Dogs are such fighters when it comes to these things. They have such vigor for life and a true will to live.
"His fist is big, but my gun's bigger. He'll find out when I pull the trigger!"
Ruger LCP
NRA Member

nyj

Post by nyj »

It'd probably help her if she dropped a few pounds :)

Topic author
PBR

Post by PBR »

nyj wrote:It'd probably help her if she dropped a few pounds :)
Yea she didn't miss too many meals in her lifetime, lol. She has lost some weight, not sure how much but enough you can look at her and tell it. She was 137 at the vet the day it happened.
Houston, Tx.
DPS Received - Jan. 26th
IN HAND!!!!!! June 9th

Topic author
PBR

Post by PBR »

Well I'm looking back on this post now being almost 4 yrs old. I'm glad I got another 4 years with her but I fear the time has come. I have not been looking forward to this day and not even sure if I can do it or not but the time has come for her to move on I feel. For last month she has had very hard time getting up or around. Sometimes she falls over and can't get back up without help. Other night I woke up to hearing a faint whine, it was her she went outside and feel over unable to get up she just laid there whining till I finally heard her. It kills me right now and I have to just keep telling myself It's for the best but so hard to do. As she is still alert and has the will, heart and drive but just no longer the ability. Going to try and give her the best day I can though just as she as given me everyday she has been here. Think we might make a quick little trip to whataburger and get her a double meat along with whatever else can think of. Here is recent picture of her, being dressed and made up by my niece.

Houston, Tx.
DPS Received - Jan. 26th
IN HAND!!!!!! June 9th

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

I understand your pain. Making the decision to let go of my golden retriever when he reached the stage where he couldn’t get around on his own, couldn’t see well enough to find the back door was very hard. Holding him at the vet’s office when he took his last breath is something I’ll never forget.
Like all things time will ease your pain. Best wishes for you and your family.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Syntyr

Post by Syntyr »

PBR wrote:Well I'm looking back on this post now being almost 4 yrs old. I'm glad I got another 4 years with her but I fear the time has come. I have not been looking forward to this day and not even sure if I can do it or not but the time has come for her to pass
PBR that is great that you got another 4 years with her. This is never easy. I have had to put more than my fair share of pets down. It doesn't get any easier, but the hurt does ease. Especially when you can remember the good times. Putting down my 16 year old German Shepherd killed me. He had been my best friend and most loyal companion/protector during my teenage years. But now all I remember is the eating of sprinkler heads, retrieving humongous logs and that face. Even the constant brushing and making a faux GSD from his excess hair makes me smile.

Give her the best time remaining that you can. You will know when it's time. See if your vet will do home euthanasia. Less traumatic and she can pass in familiar surroundings.

Prayers for you!
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

I know exactly what you are going through. I am sorry this day has come. Praying for God’s grace for you.

Return to “Off-Topic”