Citizens Police Academy

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
thatguy
Posts in topic: 1

Citizens Police Academy

Post by thatguy »

I was recently elected president of our CPA Alumni because the entire BOD resigned. Anyone a member of a local CPA (near League City) that I can visit with? I was thinking if I could come to one of your meetings...

We are in full blown transition with rewriting the By-Laws, Audit Committee etc... It seems when I make a suggestion there are several reasons why it won't work and I'm not getting anywhere. Worse still a couple of the members will take their complaints to the Chief of Police, why I'm not sure. :confused5

Thanks in advance for the advice.
In the endless pursuit of perfection, we may achieve excellence.

Texas LTC and School Safety Instructor and NRA Training Counselor

mojo84
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Citizens Police Academy

Post by mojo84 »

What's the purpose of the CPA Alumni organization. I've done a citizens academy. When our nine weeks were up, we moved on to living our lives and the polo shirt with a semi-official looking patch on the chest. Nothing was mentioned about an alumni association. I can't imagine what the purpose of such organization is.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RoyGBiv »

mojo84 wrote:I can't imagine what the purpose of such organization is.
In my neck of the woods there's a pool of volunteers that help provide extra manpower when resources are needed. Traffic control for parades, etc.
After Citizens Academy, some folks go on with their lives and some folks sign up for continued volunteer service.
When reading the OP, I assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that his organization was involved with coordinating those volunteers and maintaining the link back to LE.

We have a parallel organization (CERT) here that works in conjunction with the Fire Dept. on things like awareness, preparedness and disaster assistance. Handing out pool safety flyers each Spring, for example. I spent some time training local ISD teachers to properly use fire extinguishers last week. Things that a trained citizen can do to help free up the FD to do their primary job. Our volunteering prevented having to take an engine out of service for the day.... The local CERT group is formally organized with a BoD and President/Secretary/treasurer, etc...
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

mojo84
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mojo84 »

I too signed up to continue helping as a volunteer. The citizens academy coordinator for the Sheriff's office sends out emails to let us know about opportunities when they need assistance. We respond with an email to let them know we will help or not. It doesn't take a whole organization with a board of directors and corporate officers and such. That's the part I do not understand.

Our Sheriff's office does have a citizen's advisory committee but it is totally separate and unaffiliated with the Citizen's Academy.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Return to “Off-Topic”