LEO and a Pitbull, a good story.

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
gljjt
Posts in topic: 2

LEO and a Pitbull, a good story.

Post by gljjt »

http://www.star-telegram.com/2014/06/27 ... .html?rh=1

Note the officers in this department are trained on interacting with canines.

mamabearCali
Posts in topic: 1

Re: LEO and a Pitbull, a good story.

Post by mamabearCali »

Yay! One to make me smile a little more.
SAHM to four precious children. Wife to a loving husband.

"The women of this country learned long ago those without swords can still die upon them!" Eowyn in LOTR Two Towers

rbwhatever1

Post by rbwhatever1 »

Awesome job by the LEO's!

Hard to believe a vicious dog would run from a Chihuahua. The residents might have mistaken "following wagging tail" with "aggressively chasing"...
III

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

Carter said the stray dog, who was wagging its tail and didn’t appear to be aggressive, ran away behind a nearby house as he tried to approach it. But then the dog immediately came running back to the officers as it was chased from that yard by a tiny chihuahua.
Yup, that's one vicious dog, alright! (The chihuahua, that is!) "rlol"
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Excaliber »

That's the way police / dog interactions used to go routinely.

It's good to see that starting to come back.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Javier730

Post by Javier730 »

All LEOs should take some sort of class that helps them deal with situations with canines so that we have more encounters like these.
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

I admit to a health fear of chihuahuas. They're crazy.

rbwhatever1

Post by rbwhatever1 »

III

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

rbwhatever1 wrote:[ Image ]

Now THAT'S scary! :eek6
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Cudo's to the officer for his handling of the situation.

I have a pitbull and he is the most docile dog I have ever owned, unless you break into the house then all bets are off but thats another story.

On the other hand, I have been in the a/c business over 40 years and have been bitten twice, both times by a chihuahua and both times on the backside while kneeling down in front of a unit. I am glad those dogs are not the size of a pitbull
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Topic author
gljjt

Post by gljjt »

I think the key is this PD has formal training on dealing with dogs. What a novel idea. How come this hasn't been thought of before?!?!? A job well done by this officer and this PD.

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

gljjt wrote:I think the key is this PD has formal training on dealing with dogs. What a novel idea. How come this hasn't been thought of before?!?!? A job well done by this officer and this PD.
Because it didn't used to be necessary.

Our agency didn't have any special training on differentiating a dog that was dangerous from one who was not, but there wasn't an officer on the street who couldn't routinely perform that simple task with confidence and accuracy and handle the situation without gunfire. We responded to lots of dog calls and encountered dogs during many other types of incidents, but in my 20 years with that agency of 200 officers, I can only remember one situation where an officer fired on a dog. That one instance involved a charging Doberman in an open field where the officer had no other way to protect himself.

One of the first calls I went on as a recruit in field training was for a dog with a chain wrapped around its neck so tightly it was partially choking. The dog was clearly scared and snarled and snapped at me as I approached, but the thought of shooting it never entered my mind. I borrowed a pair of pliers from the dog's elderly owner and approached the dog slowly while speaking to it to let it know I wasn't a threat. It calmed down some and allowed me to restrain it while I used the pliers to separate a link and remove the chain. The dog returned to its owner, I returned the pliers, and I went back out on patrol. That was the norm in police work back then, and neither the dog's owner, I, nor my fellow officers thought anything of it.

Officers in those times were expected to routinely exercise both common sense and compassion in their work. Stupidity and thuggish behavior was not (and still isn't) tolerated in well managed agencies.

Those expectations have apparently fallen by the wayside in some places due to leadership failures. Where that is true, the results aren't pretty and they're not limited to cruel treatment of dogs.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

Excaliber wrote:Those expectations have apparently fallen by the wayside in some places due to leadership failures. Where that is true, the results aren't pretty and they're not limited to cruel treatment of dogs.
When there are the kinds of results you're alluding to, it's always a leadership failure....or just plain rotten leadership.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

VMI77 wrote:
Excaliber wrote:Those expectations have apparently fallen by the wayside in some places due to leadership failures. Where that is true, the results aren't pretty and they're not limited to cruel treatment of dogs.
When there are the kinds of results you're alluding to, it's always a leadership failure....or just plain rotten leadership.
For better or worse, the character of an organization always reflects the character of the person at the top.
Excaliber

Return to “Off-Topic”