Kidney stones

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
airborned
Posts in topic: 2

Kidney stones

Post by airborned »

I have a recurring problem with kidney stones. Im dealing with the V.A. on this but may have to go to the regular doctor for sonic treatment. so i need a couple prayers i can get this taken care of and it wont break the bank lol. Stones are no fun. I have a 9mm and a 3mm in my right kidney and the 9 will not come out on its own. I never had kidney stones until i came back from Iraq in 05. I think the dehydration is what did me in. I sent in a claim with the V.A. they will surely tell me no but regardless i got to get it taken care of. The largest i have passed was an 8mm. I will tell you that it was the worst thing iv ever felt in my life. If there are any other stone sufferers out there i will start a support group. well have meet and greets once a month. ill bring plenty of water. :smilelol5:

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Kidney stones

Post by The Annoyed Man »

You have my sympathy! My son, as well as a number of friends of mine have dealt with this, and I know it is no picnic. I have a bunch of "grain of sand" sized stones in my kidneys, but although I have suffered a bunch of other UT ailments for the past 20 years (related to an enlarged prostate), I have never—knock on wood—passed a kidney stone.

Praise God for that!
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

gljjt
Posts in topic: 5

Post by gljjt »

16 stones passed so far! No fun at all. 2 lipthotripsies and 1 laser ablation. Never had a stone until 2005 like you. Became dehydrated during hurricane relief for Katrina. That was some kind of trigger. I have helped out in 8 hurricanes and the Marble Falls flood and had stones after most of these, about 6 weeks later. Dehydration I suspect. I have since been drinking tons of water and all but eliminated sodas from my diet and have the longest stone free period in the last 9 years, stone free for 1 year. Weird though, no stones for 46 years then 16 in 9 years.

Good luck!

gljjt

Post by gljjt »

Its interesting, I had a 2mm that needed ER / procedure and also passed a 6mm on my own. No rhyme or reason for what passes or what needs medical intervention. My largest was also 8mm. Laser blasted that rock!!!

Jim Beaux
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Jim Beaux »

If youre worried about the Lithotripsy, dont be. Ive had two and was surprised at how quick & painless it was. The first procedure didnt get it all so the second was necessary. (The harder the stone the better the results.)

The urologist told me to drink a large glass of lemonade daily and I wouldnt develop any NEW stones. He said nothing will dissolve stones, but lemonade is a very good preventative.
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

gljjt

Post by gljjt »

Agree, lithotripsy is painless, although I was "under". I've also had 2. It is noninvasive with no real discomfort. Last ablation is invasive but also done under anesthesia. The only discomfort is the stent you may have to have for a few days. Mine caused some relatively minor pain and then really hurt for about 10 seconds when removed. I would describe it as, how shall we put this, urinating razor blades. But only for 10 seconds!

gljjt

Post by gljjt »

I was also told lemonade was a good preventative along with cranberry juice and OJ. I try to drink OJ and water. Its worked for a year!

Jim Beaux
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Jim Beaux »

gljjt wrote:I was also told lemonade was a good preventative along with cranberry juice and OJ. I try to drink OJ and water. Its worked for a year!
You might want to talk to your doctor about orange juice.
orange juice decreases urinary acidity and raises urinary citrate, but it also raises urinary oxalate, which might tend to work against its beneficial effects.
http://www.med.nyu.edu/content?ChunkIID=21459
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

gljjt

Post by gljjt »

Jim Beaux wrote:
gljjt wrote:I was also told lemonade was a good preventative along with cranberry juice and OJ. I try to drink OJ and water. Its worked for a year!
You might want to talk to your doctor about orange juice.
orange juice decreases urinary acidity and raises urinary citrate, but it also raises urinary oxalate, which might tend to work against its beneficial effects.
http://www.med.nyu.edu/content?ChunkIID=21459
Thanks! _____Oxalate is a component of my stones (so says the lab). I'll will ask my doc!! Too bad though as I like OJ and don't care for lemonade or cranberry juice.

rotor

Post by rotor »

Everyone I know that has had a stone has said the same thing that it was the most painful thing they ever had. My daughter recently had one and had to have a stent as well which she hated. I am not a kidney stone expert but I doubt that your military service is related. I certainly would not recommend a VA especially with the latest scandals. Consider a good private urologist and a cost effective hospital and use your insurance. You have had a serum calcioum done to rule out a parathyroid tumor. Not that common but...

philip964

Post by philip964 »

Water drink water. I think you can pass anything with enough water.

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

After my last bout with them, my doc told me to stop drinking carbonated drinks and drink lots of water. The dehydration is a contributing factor as well.
Knock on wood, it's been 10 years since my last bout with them and hope its 50 more before my next one (i'll surly be gone by then).
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

The Marshal

Post by The Marshal »

airborned wrote:I have a recurring problem with kidney stones. Im dealing with the V.A. on this but may have to go to the regular doctor for sonic treatment. so i need a couple prayers i can get this taken care of and it wont break the bank lol. Stones are no fun. I have a 9mm and a 3mm in my right kidney and the 9 will not come out on its own. I never had kidney stones until i came back from Iraq in 05. I think the dehydration is what did me in. I sent in a claim with the V.A. they will surely tell me no but regardless i got to get it taken care of. The largest i have passed was an 8mm. I will tell you that it was the worst thing iv ever felt in my life. If there are any other stone sufferers out there i will start a support group. well have meet and greets once a month. ill bring plenty of water. :smilelol5:
Airborned, on another forum, with lots of military and LEO participants, this topic came up. The end result was the group had been "Shot, stabbed, car accidents, helicopter crashes, stomped by cattle, smashed knees and elbows, etc" and ALL WERE WILLING to go through it again, if given a choice of 'that' or Kidney Stones. :smilelol5:

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

I woke up in the middle of the night with an acute pain in my back.

Went to the ER, from there to another room, maybe it was for an X-ray, I can't recall precisely as by that time I had a whole bunch of pain killer in me.

Dianosis: Kidney stone.

The stone was too big to pass and too small to blow up. So they put me under and in went a stent that stayed in for well over a week.

Apparently, the stone passed though it did so without me noticing. The urologist advised that he could remove the stent in his office. He further advised the stent removal would be a "little uncomfortable". Or, I could go back in the hospital where they'd put me under again for the stent removal and it would take all day.

I elected to let him remove it in his office. Much more efficient.

NEVER again.

The stent removal was more painful than the stone.

At the point of removal, the pain was so intense I screaming and screaming and finally the doctor had to shout at me to stop. I didn't realize I WAS screaming, until he stopped me. I wonder what the patients in the outer clinic office were thinking...

Topic author
airborned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by airborned »

well after sitting in the va clinic all day yesterday i was told they will send the results to a urologist. i hope they can get me in quickly i need this one gone im tired of hurting lol. So i guess the first meeting of the Kidney stone club will be first tuesday of the month. :smash:

Return to “Off-Topic”