Armed security license

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
nightmare69
Posts in topic: 6

Armed security license

Post by nightmare69 »

I plan on working some off duty jobs, problem is you have to be full time to do so. I've heard you have to work at least 32hrs a week as a LEO otherwise it's a violation to work off duty jobs. So I need to get my license to avoid this. How do I go about getting my armed security license as an LEO? How much is it and what do I need to do.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

Ameer
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Armed security license

Post by Ameer »

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/psb/forms/index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I believe the basic political division in this country is not between liberals and conservatives but between those who believe that they should have a say in the personal lives of strangers and those who do not.

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Excaliber »

nightmare69 wrote:I plan on working some off duty jobs, problem is you have to be full time to do so. I've heard you have to work at least 32hrs a week as a LEO otherwise it's a violation to work off duty jobs. So I need to get my license to avoid this. How do I go about getting my armed security license as an LEO? How much is it and what do I need to do.
You need a Level 3 Commissioned Security Officer license from the Texas DPS Private Security Bureau. You have to get the very simple noncommissioned license first and then take a few days of courses at a DPS approved school. Google TX commmissioned security officer training and your home city to find schools that teach it. Here's one example in the Houston area. You can call them to get details.

You can get started with the application at here.

Commissioned LEO's are exempt from the fingerprint requirement - there's a form you have to submit signed by your agency to support that.

When you go for the range qualification, wear your ballistic vest. The gun handling you'll see is worse than the gangbangers'.

Good luck!
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Topic author
nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

Thanks a lot. I'm going to look into it.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

In my mind, it's a shame you have to do this to work a part time job.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Topic author
nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

I checked the link and it says you have to complete level II first before taking the 40hr level III course. I thought LEO were exempt from the class cause I already have 4 months of training.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

VoiceofReason
Banned

Post by VoiceofReason »

mojo84 wrote:In my mind, it's a shame you have to do this to work a part time job.
In my opinion, it’s a shame that LEO pay is such that you have to work a part time job.
God Bless America, and please hurry.
When I was young I knew all the answers. When I got older I started to realize I just hadn’t quite understood the questions.-Me

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

Most agencies make you surrender a security license to hold yor commission. I know mine does.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

nightmare69 wrote:I checked the link and it says you have to complete level II first before taking the 40hr level III course. I thought LEO were exempt from the class cause I already have 4 months of training.
The private security guard role is much different than that of an LEO.

Although there is a lot of crossover, there are significant differences you need to know about. You won't find the courses hard, but you need to know the limits of operating with non-LEO authority unless on occasion you step out of the private security role and take action as an LEO. Doing that opens a couple of other cans of worms.

Doing private security as an LEO in uniform is much cleaner and simpler.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Topic author
nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

I'm going to look into it, the issue is finding the time to take a 5 day course.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

VoiceofReason wrote:
mojo84 wrote:In my mind, it's a shame you have to do this to work a part time job.
In my opinion, it’s a shame that LEO pay is such that you have to work a part time job.

I agree. However, I expect a part time cop would need a part time job. It's tough for an adult to live off a part time job whether he's a cop or not.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

FYIFV

Post by FYIFV »

APD pays a probationary officer $56,397 plus medical, pension and other fringe benefits. A probationary officer assigned to a shift starting after 2pm, is a Bi-Lingual interpreter and has a Bachelors Degree would earn $64,737/year, plus benefits. After a year on the job, it's $63,287 base for someone without a college degree, et cetera, and up to $71,627 with incentives for degree and other qualifications.

Those base salaries don't include any departmental overtime for late assignments, court appearances, etc.

If they "have to" work a second job, the problem is spending not income.

Topic author
nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

FYIFV wrote:APD pays a probationary officer $56,397 plus medical, pension and other fringe benefits. A probationary officer assigned to a shift starting after 2pm, is a Bi-Lingual interpreter and has a Bachelors Degree would earn $64,737/year, plus benefits. After a year on the job, it's $63,287 base for someone without a college degree, et cetera, and up to $71,627 with incentives for degree and other qualifications.

Those base salaries don't include any departmental overtime for late assignments, court appearances, etc.

I would have to move to a big city to ever see that salary. Once I get a few years experience I plan on applying with the bigger departments. Most LEOs around here live off the side jobs.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

JKTex

Post by JKTex »

FYIFV wrote:APD pays a probationary officer $56,397 plus medical, pension and other fringe benefits. A probationary officer assigned to a shift starting after 2pm, is a Bi-Lingual interpreter and has a Bachelors Degree would earn $64,737/year, plus benefits. After a year on the job, it's $63,287 base for someone without a college degree, et cetera, and up to $71,627 with incentives for degree and other qualifications.

Well, if one is single and doesn't have any other real obligations, someone could certainly live in $60-$70k but with a pretty minimal lifestyle and not much preparing for the future. For a family, I'd say a 2nd or 3rd job would indeed be required to support a somewhat comfortable life and do a little preparing for the future.

Unicorn Rancher

Post by Unicorn Rancher »

Average individual income is around $40k in the USA. That includes people with 10+ years experience, not only those just starting out. (APD salaries listed are for noobs and 1yr tenure.)

I have mid-twenties coworkers with degrees who earn $50-60k. They live in a nice apartment, drive a Lexus or BMW, wear fashionable clothes, and come back from vacation with cool stories. If someone thinks that's a pretty minimal lifestyle...

Shallow perhaps, but hardly spartan. ;-)

Return to “Off-Topic”