Shopping Carts Or Crutches?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
StewNTexas
Posts in topic: 4

Shopping Carts Or Crutches?

Post by StewNTexas »

Getting in and navigating large stores is getting harder each day.

This morning I went to a local Wal-Mart to check out their ammo supply. Getting around was a real problem. Many people are using shopping carts as handicap devices.

Ladies go in, get a cart, drop their oversized purses in the upper tray, somehow drape themselves across the handle, and let the cart carry a great deal of their weight. Then usually two or three of them enter the store together, stop quickly as if they had never the inside of a large store, then decide which way to go after what seems a long conversation.

Getting around the aisles are a problem. Usually they are set up two or three wide, going up and down aisles made for two way traffic, blocking anyone from attempting to pass. In the wider aisles near the front and rear of the store, they will usually try the three wide formation. Depending upon the number and size of the aisle stacks of merchandise, they will keep their positions as long as possible.

Not wanting to leave the guys out, a great many of them also assume the 'lay down, lean over' position, using the cart as a walker. In their behalf, they usually do not go more than two wide, but still cause problems upon meeting oncoming traffic.

Both sexes seem to feel that any oncoming traffic is not their problem, and seem very reluctant to yield an inch of 'their' space.

Is this happening everywhere, or just here in South Texas where there are a LOT of snow birds. (Also known as 'Q-Tips' as their hair and shoes are usually white.)
If the 2nd admendment only applies to muskets and muzzle-loaders, then the 1st admentment must apply only to the spoken or printed word. Printing must be done on hand presses, news stories must be written in longhand, no keyboards or electric processes may be used.

J Wilson
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Shopping Carts Or Crutches?

Post by J Wilson »

Maybe if you had breathing problems and you were on oxygen,maybe you would understand using the cart as a walker.
I guess not everyone is as healthy as you are.

Topic author
StewNTexas

Post by StewNTexas »

I do have a set of permanent handicap plates on my vehicle, and have an appointment tomorrow morning at a local hospital for a breathing test.

Depending upon how the test comes out, I will be scheduled for my FOURTH defib/pacemaker as the battery is getting a bit low in the present one.

Luckily my prostate cancer is either cured, or in long term remission. If I can make it another year, I will be considered a cancer survivor.
They do have rules as to when someone is considered to have survived, but I am not sure of the time that must pass.

I am four months short of being 75, but can still walk, just not very far or for a long time. BUT, when possible I park far enough from the doors to miss most of the congestion and door scratches caused by people trying to park their land cruisers in regular sized parking spaces, as well as the great number of loose carts thoughtlessly left by people that should know better. I also make a real effort to get a cart, if I need one, from outside the store, and occasionally pick up an extra or two to leave at the door.

As to people needing the carts for health reason, I am calling bull on that. Anyone that needs a walker, cane or wheelchair need to simply ask. Your government likes to spend money, and one will be quickly provided along with paperwork to be registered to vote.

Is that enough answer for you?

Yeah, I have permanent handicap plates and can park right at the door in most places, I just choose not to if having a decent day.
If the 2nd admendment only applies to muskets and muzzle-loaders, then the 1st admentment must apply only to the spoken or printed word. Printing must be done on hand presses, news stories must be written in longhand, no keyboards or electric processes may be used.

J Wilson

Post by J Wilson »

along with paperwork to be registered to vote.????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????(registered for 40+years)

Is that enough answer for you?

If I need any more of your opinions,I will be sure and ask
Have a nice day

Topic author
StewNTexas

Post by StewNTexas »

Wow, somebody is really touchy about having someone actually answer his somewhat childish post.

I was simply stating that your post was full of 'feelings', short on substance.

I think we should just let this go, chalk it up to a lousy Wednesday morning....

J Wilson

Post by J Wilson »

AGREED
Have a great day

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I went to Costco yesterday. I have a really bad back. I tend to use the cart as a walker. I use the cart as a walker because that actually works better than an actual walker for me. If I used a walker, I could not push a cart around Costco. If I could not push a cart around Costco, then I could not take advantage of the discounted prices my membership affords me. I don't need a walker to get around normally. This is only an issue for me in big-box stores. As long as I am mobile, I am OK. But shopping at Costco requires standing for long periods on concrete, which my back simply will not tolerate. Checkout lines are torture for me. THAT's why I lean on the cart like it's a walker. I don't drape myself all over it, but I definitely let it help me support my weight.

I am very conscious of not to blocking aisles, and like you, I get more than a little irritated at the thoughtlessness of others who seem to think that they have all the time in the world to block my progress, but that thoughtlessness is by no means the sole dominion of the obese, the disabled, or the elderly. I find that the young and fit are frequently much worse, simply because they grew up without any manners, and because of the modern culture's tendency to produce people who, like children, still think that the world revolves around their needs and feelings, to the exclusion of everyone else's.
  • SIDEBAR:
    Comedian Louie Anderson used to do a bit about wishing he had a gun that he could kill a person for just 15 minutes with it.....to use as a training tool. If they did something stupid or irritating, he could shoot them dead, and then 15 minutes later they would wake up and mumble, "Oh.... I must have been doing something stupid...." He joked about using it on mall-walkers who just aggravated the hell out of him by walking 6 abreast real slowly, and backing up the foot traffic behind them. Can't get past them and they don't listen to your "excuse me, can I please get by you" requests? Kill them for 15 minutes. When they wake up, they'll realize that they should have been paying attention.

Personally, I think tasing them would be more fun.....but I can be a bit of a sadist. By the way, I never knew where the name "Taser" actually came from. Turns out it is a registered trademark with a genesis in sci-fi: http://www.dailywritingtips.com/taser-o ... -tasering/. It's an acronym for “Thomas A. Swift’s Electric Rifle.” Who knew?
Anyway, I represent a class of people your post doesn't specifically address: those who use the cart as a walker, but who aren't obstacles to your path.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

People who don't have disabilities some times think those of us who do are lazy, slackers looking for sympathy. I am a 70% disabled Vietnam Veteran (Agent Orange) and have a handicap parking placard but no "rob me" plates on my vehicles.

I am recovering from a total knee replacement right now and need the close parking afforded by the handicap parking. I see cars parked in the wheelchair zones of the handicap parking and, young people who are obviously not handicapped using "Uncle Bob's" parking placard just to keep from walking the extra 15-20 yards to the door. :rules: Before my surgery I would often park in a non handicap spot just to allow someone who was seriously mobility challenged to have the handicap spot.

Try using one of the handicap shopping carts if you want to see just how inconsiderate people can be. :grumble

Oh well, some day soon I'll be mobile again. :anamatedbanana

Rant mode off. :tiphat:
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
  • SIDEBAR:

Personally, I think tasing them would be more fun.....but I can be a bit of a sadist. By the way, I never knew where the name "Taser" actually came from. Turns out it is a registered trademark with a genesis in sci-fi: http://www.dailywritingtips.com/taser-o ... -tasering/. It's an acronym for “Thomas A. Swift’s Electric Rifle.” Who knew?
ME, ME!!!!!! I knew that! Yes I do! I learned it from a show on the Discovery Channel about less lethal weapons. :coolgleamA: :tiphat: :tiphat:
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

Abraham
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Abraham »

A lot of us are geezers. I walk with a limp, wear hearing aids, have a bad back and the list of my old timers maladies is long. Big Deal. Poor me.

That said, get the heck out of the way if you're in the way of others in the aisles.

I'm not speaking of those who need a bit more time to ambulate out of the way. I'm very patient with those of us who can't move quickly. I'm speaking of those who PARK in the way of others in the store and converse or look at the merchandise or simply park their carcasses in the way of others in stores.... Move It...You're not royalty because of age infirmities...You don't get a pass that allows you to hold up progress for the rest of the shopping world. Sheesh!

This morning, I was in line waiting to buy some pet food at Petsmart. There was a family in front of me waiting to check out their selections.

Some young women was standing leaning on the check stand in the way of those wishing to check out. This young women was simply speaking to another shopper while standing in the way of those wishing to make their purchases. This scenario continued without relief...(she wasn't buying anything)

Finally, in exasperation, (those waiting in line in front of me were slowly chewing their cud while staring at the blockading young women...) I shouted "excuse me" and she very slowly, rather insolently moved out of the way.

When those in front of me finished their transaction, one of them turned around and said: Thank you!

I wondered why THEY didn't move this cretin out of the way.

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

I fit in somewhat to the leaning on the cart. I have a bad back, pins in my ankles and breathing issues. IF I go with my wife to the store, which is not often, I will sometimes lean on the cart for relief. However, I do not block the isles for any reason. If someone pushes a cart next to mine and blocks the isle, I will move as soon as possible, or if someone else is there I will move and let them by then return to my location to complete what I was looking for.

Now, in saying all of that, I also get irritated at the parents that bring ALL of their children to the store and either let them run loose or keep them so close that they block the isle.

Maybe that is why my wife doesn't ask me to go with her very often :biggrinjester: especially to Walmart or Target :evil2: . I planned that out many years ago. Haven't been to Walmart since I did my Wally Walk some 17 years ago.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Topic author
StewNTexas

Post by StewNTexas »

I did not mean to start a thread about who really needs a handicapped plate/card, but the topic seems to be headed that way. We all know there is an enforcement problem regarding their parking, and I make an effort to not use mine unless I am having a bad day.

My wife did have a stroke just before Thanksgiving, and spent the next six months in and out of the hospital five times, plus three different visits to two different nursing centers.

She always wanted to have me take her shopping, and spent a lot of time convincing me that it would be a good idea.

We went twice, should never have gone. She just had to try their electric scooters. Disasters, both times. She had trouble steering, had trouble braking, had trouble more than I could imagine. She somehow got away from me in the clothing section, knocking two different racks of sweaters over. After the second trip, we talked over and decided not to do that again.

Yes, I did use my handicap plates to park near the door, yes it was easier to get close enough for her to transfer from the car to the cart.

I spent more time making apologies and picking up knocked over items than a person could ever expect to.

I lost her three weeks ago, and sure wish I could take another shopping trip with her, anywhere. Save your memories, you may need them.
Last edited by StewNTexas on Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

StewNTexas, I am so sorry for your loss. I nearly lost my wife last year to pheumonia/COPD she was in ICU for nearly six weeks then another two months before she was able to come home. I thank the Good Lord for every second I have with her.

God Bless you my friend.
George Mason

Jim Beaux
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jim Beaux »

StewNTexas wrote:
I lost her three weeks ago, and sure wish I could take another shopping trip with her, anywhere. Save your memories, you may need them.
Im sorry for your loss Stew.
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

n5wd

Post by n5wd »

StewNTexas wrote:...My wife did have a stroke just before Thanksgiving...She always wanted to have me take her shopping...She just had to try their electric scooters. Disasters, both times. She had trouble steering, had trouble braking, had trouble more than I could imagine. She somehow got away from me in the clothing section, knocking two different racks of sweaters over. ... I lost her three weeks ago, and sure wish I could take another shopping trip with her, anywhere. Save your memories, you may need them.
StewNTexas - After having a knee replacement a few years ago and before she was cleared to put much strain on her knee, my wife decided she had cabin fever and wanted to get out of the house. We wound up going by a Sam's when she decided she wanted to go shopping. She, too, had difficulty making the cart take her where she wanted to - lots of "sorry's", a few bumps into store furnishing and a knocked over stack of underwear boxes. She was having the time of her life, trying to get that contraption under control. Finally figured it out and loved the mobility it gave her until she was back on her feet.

My condolences for your loss. I lost Pam about 16 months ago from cancer, and thinking about her trying to get that shopping scooter never fails to bring a smile to my life.
Last edited by n5wd on Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

Return to “Off-Topic”