Dash (?) Cams That Record

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
StewNTexas
Posts in topic: 2

Dash (?) Cams That Record

Post by StewNTexas »

Looking for an unobtrusive camera for my vehicle. I do NOT want to replace my rear view mirror with one, but am looking for one that could be suction/glue mounted to the upper portion of the windshield.

I searched this forum, and lots of people use them, but not many recommendations as to manufacturer or model numbers. I also worry about having it to try to see through the relatively dark section at the top of the factory windshield. I would also prefer that it not be mounted to the top of the dashboard, but higher up of possible.

One that would take a 32meg SD card would be good, as well as having an auto on/off feature that could be tied into the ignition.

Suggestions an/or your experiences.

Thanks....

I
Last edited by StewNTexas on Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If the 2nd admendment only applies to muskets and muzzle-loaders, then the 1st admentment must apply only to the spoken or printed word. Printing must be done on hand presses, news stories must be written in longhand, no keyboards or electric processes may be used.

suthdj
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Dash (?) Cams That Record

Post by suthdj »

Samsung Note II running autoguard
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

I've been using this one for about a year. Happy so far.. Very inexpensive too.
Be sure to get a Class-10 card .. Slow cards stink for recording video.

http://dashboardcamerareviews.com/k6000/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

LabRat

Post by LabRat »

I use the GoPro. 32 GB card. Battery operated (rechargable). My battery will record for almost 4 hours at 1020/30 fps.
Mounts on the windscreen, easy to install.

Files are .mp4. Great video and audio.

http://gopro.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can buy them at BestBuy or Academy Sports and Outdoors.

I love mine.

LabRat
This is not legal advice.
People should be able to perform many functions; for others and for themselves. Specialization is for insects. — Robert Heinlein (Severe paraphrase)

Timba

Post by Timba »

I've been using this one since April.

Instruction manual was sub-par, but camera performance is very good. I would buy another.

CleverNickname

Post by CleverNickname »

Timba wrote:I've been using this one since April.

Instruction manual was sub-par, but camera performance is very good. I would buy another.

While I don't have one, many people in a dashcam thread I read on another board have also recommended the G1W. I have this one.

OP, you don't want a GoPro or to repurpose your cell phone. You want something that's powered off your car's electrical system, that automatically starts recording when you turn on the car, and that automatically overwrites old video with new video as the camera's memory gets full. Pretty much any purpose-built dashcam will do this. If you have to remember to charge the battery up or remember to manually erase old video, Murphy says that the one time you forget to do that is when you'll get in an accident. Plus it's a chore and annoying.

howdy

Post by howdy »

I have this:

http://www.spytechs.com/car-cameras/Dri ... -DP210.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It has front and rear cameras, GPS, g-force monitoring, speedometer and low light infra red. It takes a 64 GB card. Little pricey but I have had mine for 2 years and still works great.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

howdy wrote:I have this:

http://www.spytechs.com/car-cameras/Dri ... -DP210.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It has front and rear cameras, GPS, g-force monitoring, speedometer and low light infra red. It takes a 64 GB card. Little pricey but I have had mine for 2 years and still works great.
I wouldn't like the speedometer thing.

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

I use my GoPro(s) but have been considering a "full time" cam.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

CleverNickname

Post by CleverNickname »

MeMelYup wrote:
howdy wrote:I have this:

I wouldn't like the speedometer thing.
Usually, most of that stuff is configurable so it won't log it if you don't want to.

Topic author
StewNTexas

Post by StewNTexas »

So far, lots of good information.

At this time, I am not interested in a rear facing camera, but if the front camera would work without the rear camera being turned on, it would probably be a good choice. If I felt the need later to add in a rear camera, the system would accept it. My main concern would be trying to hide all the wires for a rear facing camera.

Thanks....
If the 2nd admendment only applies to muskets and muzzle-loaders, then the 1st admentment must apply only to the spoken or printed word. Printing must be done on hand presses, news stories must be written in longhand, no keyboards or electric processes may be used.

howdy

Post by howdy »

I bought the camera to protect me from unjust prosecution and unjust traffic tickets. If I have an accident or get stopped for rolling a stop sign, speeding, red light, etc, I have proof either that I didn't do it or I was wrongly charged/not at fault. It also has audio to record any conversations taking place in or around the car. The rear facing camera is the most important thing to me. I carry a gun ALL the time. I have heard of people being upset with someones driving and getting even by calling 911 to report that driver was waving a gun at them. (falsely accused) The police are going to find a gun if they stop me and I am automatically guilty of the accusation. How do I prove that the other guy is lying. My life has just changed for the worse. With that rear facing camera, my actions are recorded. Maybe I am being paranoid. ( I have recorded 2 GOOD accidents while rolling down the freeway. :mrgreen: )
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

I have the G1W. 8 hours of video, auto on/off with the ignition, hides partially behind the rearview mirror. great video.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

LabRat wrote:I use the GoPro. 32 GB card. Battery operated (rechargable). My battery will record for almost 4 hours at 1020/30 fps.
Mounts on the windscreen, easy to install.

LabRat, I've got a GoPro I - but will the 2 auto-record upon power? I want something that powers itself up and down and will loop record.

Return to “Off-Topic”