The Venerable C-130

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
RetNavy
Posts in topic: 4

The Venerable C-130

Post by RetNavy »

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/08/19/af ... latestnews

I had the privilege of flying on one from Rota, Spain to Sigonella, Sicily in 1979, and worked on some of the M61A1 20mm that flew in the Puff's
"Freedom itself was attacked this morning by a faceless coward. Freedom will be defended!"
-President George W. Bush, September 11, 2001

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Re: The Venerable C-130

Post by Keith B »

My nephew is a mechanic on an AC-130 gunship crew. The platform is a real workhorse and has a lot of capabilities and versatility.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Pawpaw »

I spent a fair amount of time in and around C-130s. I've loaded them, unloaded them and stood watch over them as a member of a firefighting team. Once I even loaded the body of a fallen comrade on one. I've flown more than a few miles on them too.

They are a dependable and versatile workhorse.

Edit: I realized "fire team" might be misconstrued, so I corrected it.
Last edited by Pawpaw on Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

PBratton

Post by PBratton »

Fat Albert will be in town soon with the Blue Angels.
http://www.GeeksFirearms.com NFA dealer.
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

Active Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS receive $15 transfers.

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

Topic author
RetNavy
Posts in topic: 4

Post by RetNavy »

Keith B wrote:The platform is a real workhorse and has a lot of capabilities and versatility.
I think it's the "J" version that the Hurricane Hunters fly out of Biloxi
"Freedom itself was attacked this morning by a faceless coward. Freedom will be defended!"
-President George W. Bush, September 11, 2001

bigity

Post by bigity »

I was very close to changing jobs from computer programmer to sensor operator on the AC-130. That was before all the dustups in the Middle East. (right after Desert Storm and before any of the current stuff).

I think career wise I made the right choice but man, it should would have been fun to shoot that cannon.
USAF Veteran|Ex-DoD Contractor|Information Technology
EDC: Springfield Armory XD Sub-Compact 40S&W 3"

n5wd

Post by n5wd »

My father started with the A model of the C-130 as they were beginning to come off the assembly line in Georgia and remained with C-130's in one way or another for the rest of his Air Force career. That platform has definitely been a workhorse around the world in many different forms and fashions...

But what impresses me most about the Hercules is something I hadn't found out until I was riding one on a flight from Tan Son Nhut AB near Saigon up to DaNang... did you know the C-130 can back itself up? One of the few aircraft that can do that, the pilot reverses thrust on the props and that sucker'll back itself out of a parking spot or a revetment. Ha! Never knew that till our's did it.
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

ELB

Post by ELB »

It is an awesome airplane.

My dad was a government QA guy at Allison in Indianapolis from sometime in the 1960s to 1980 or so. That's where all the C-130 engines (and a lot of other military stuff) were manufactured until the J-model came out. I grew up thinking the USAF was composed of C-130s, and some other miscellaneous airplanes. :)

I have quite a few air passenger miles in C-130s, have flown one in a simulator at Little Rock AFB (I crashed on landing :shock: ) and have jumped out a two or three of them as well. AIRBORNE! You think they're loud on the inside, try being right behind one of those T-56 turboprops in mid-air when it is cranking the prop at full boogie. Holy smokes.

There were some marvelous aircraft designed in the 1950s and 60s. Just amazing.
USAF 1982-2005

bryan1980

Post by bryan1980 »

It's one of those machines like the B-52. No reason to replace it, because there's nothing that will do the task any better. The C-130 is what they use to ferry supplies to the research stations in Antarctica; jets cannot operate in such cold weather. I have a brother-in-law who was in the Air Force, he was an avionics technician for the AC-130, stationed at Hurlburt Field in Florida. Got to take a tour of one when we visited him down there. He also gave me a 105MM shellcasing that was expended in Afghanistan :coolgleamA:

They're literally the perfect gunship platform; lots of capacity for munitions, a huge profile that you can line with guns, and a long loiter time over a target.
5/21/14 - Submitted online app.
5/24/14 - Class
5/27/14 - Submitted CHL-100 & checklist
7/18/14 - Plastic in hand

bigity

Post by bigity »

As an Air Force vet I have alot of respect for the guys (and gals) with boots in the mud (or on the deck), but nothing brings the pain like the USAF :D
USAF Veteran|Ex-DoD Contractor|Information Technology
EDC: Springfield Armory XD Sub-Compact 40S&W 3"

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

I've always admired the AC-130 and the A-10. Workhorse aircraft that can lay down a world of hurt. When I was considering joining the service, becoming an AC-130 crew member was on my short list of occupations I was interested in. Shame it never panned out.
Psalm 91:2

Dragonfighter
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Dragonfighter »

I've been a passenger on C-130's having taken off some 40ish times. I've only landed in them twice. :mrgreen:
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

n5wd

Post by n5wd »

Dragonfighter wrote:I've been a passenger on C-130's having taken off some 40ish times. I've only landed in them twice. :mrgreen:
Jumping out of perfectly good airplanes, huh?
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

CHLLady

Post by CHLLady »

SQLGeek wrote:I've always admired the AC-130 and the A-10. Workhorse aircraft that can lay down a world of hurt. When I was considering joining the service, becoming an AC-130 crew member was on my short list of occupations I was interested in. Shame it never panned out.
Those are my two favorites also! I'm sad to see the A10's being retired. They are a worthy and necessary plane. I recognize the sound of that engine anywhere.

My husband's first airframe was the c130 H. I never worried about him not making it home from deployment. :txflag:
If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. Nonsense! If you carry a gun, what do you have to be paranoid about?

ELB

Post by ELB »

I just remembered that the Governor of Texas was a C-130 pilot. :txflag:
USAF 1982-2005

Return to “Off-Topic”