Knife Carry Questions

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 11

Knife Carry Questions

Post by RoyGBiv »

I'm new to knives. Been carrying a 3.5" folder for about 6 months now, my first ever EDC knife.
Now that I have some experience, I'm considering moving to a 3.5-4.0" fixed blade with a proper EDC carry sheath.

I started carrying a knife for those times when I cannot carry a gun (schools, customers, the occasional errand, etc.).

I just want to make sure my understanding of the law is correct.

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/D ... /PE.46.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As I understand things currently, I can carry a "legal" knife into schools without fear of committing a crime, since only "illegal knives" are prohibited in schools (46.03), unless you're a student and subject to school weapons policy (separate issue, don't want to discuss that here).
(6) "Illegal knife" means a:
(A) knife with a blade over five and one-half inches;
(B) hand instrument designed to cut or stab another by being thrown;
(C) dagger, including but not limited to a dirk, stiletto, and poniard;
(D) bowie knife;
(E) sword; or
(F) spear.
Same for places that post 30.06 signs, bars, etc... Knife carry is ok as long as the knife isn't "illegal".

Am I missing something that might land me in trouble?

Thanks! :tiphat:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

C-dub
Posts in topic: 6

Re: Knife Carry Questions

Post by C-dub »

Other than the secure area of an airport, I can't think of any other places that are strictly off limits for legal pocket knives. There are places that prohibit them, like courthouses as mentioned in another thread, but that will be their own rules.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Thanks C-Dub.

Never had any penchant for knives before. Now I hate being unarmed so much I get edgy like a crack addict needing a fix.
A sure sign of getting older, I suppose. (Get off my lawn kid! :mrgreen: )
I need to find a good defensive knife class now...

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

And going to a larger knife is up to you. A lot of folks carry knives in sheaths and then others like me just put them in the pocket and might use the clip or not. I currently carry two knives. I lost my SOG Trident a couple months ago and like it pretty good except for the locking feature. I thought it would like it at first, but not so much after a while. Anyway, I did like the size and during my search for a new knife I came across a Cold Steel, always liked them, but never had one before, and Recon 1 tanto half serrated. It's a 4" blade and is a nice knife, but a but big for whipping out at work for general use. So, my second knife is a little Kershaw shuffle with a 2.4 inch blade and a bottle opener. Got it at Walmart for about $14. Awesome little knife and a little safer to pull out for use at work for whatever and fits into the pocket of a pair of dress slacks really well compared to the Recon.

I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Thanks! I'm looking at this for fixed blade EDC.

http://jwknives.tictail.com/product/hits-compact-ti" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=8543" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I like fixed blades, but they're not easy to carry around for me, especially at work. Plus, I figure since I'm already carrying a gun, not at work, I figure the less attention I draw to myself the better.

Topic author
RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Copy that.

I can't deploy a folder as quickly as I'd like. If I'm required to be without my gun, I'd like to try a fixed blade.

We'll see how it goes.

android
Posts in topic: 1

Post by android »

RoyGBiv wrote:Copy that.

I can't deploy a folder as quickly as I'd like. If I'm required to be without my gun, I'd like to try a fixed blade.

We'll see how it goes.
Autos are legal in TX since Sept 1, 2013. I've got a Benchmade that works very well and locks quite securely.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Legal blade length for EDC in Texas is up to 5 1/2".

Right?

Wrong?

Thanks!

EEllis
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Post by EEllis »

It seems to me that legal or not the carry of a fixed blade is unusual enough to attract more attention than I would want without a specific purpose in mind. I also think it would be asking for problems if your reason for carrying is self defense where you can't carry a gun. Show up at a school and legal or not you have a good chance of ending up speaking with a cop about it and being told not to carry it again. Now I'm speaking of fixed knives in plain view because I don't know of any that are good for CC.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Just be careful to not get a double-edged blade as those are still considered illegal.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

The Rooster

Post by The Rooster »

EEllis wrote:Now I'm speaking of fixed knives in plain view because I don't know of any that are good for CC.
Let's hope the UBG who want to disarm us have the same blind spot.

Topic author
RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

EEllis wrote:It seems to me that legal or not the carry of a fixed blade is unusual enough to attract more attention than I would want without a specific purpose in mind. I also think it would be asking for problems if your reason for carrying is self defense where you can't carry a gun. Show up at a school and legal or not you have a good chance of ending up speaking with a cop about it and being told not to carry it again. Now I'm speaking of fixed knives in plain view because I don't know of any that are good for CC.
Planning for concealed carry.
The knife I posted above can be carried like this.. (not same knife, not my photo, BTW.. Just similar.)
Easy enough to conceal under a shirt. I've also seen it done with the sheath between the belt and pants. With the right setup, all you see is enough of the grip to grab.

Topic author
RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Abraham wrote:Legal blade length for EDC in Texas is up to 5 1/2".

Right?

Wrong?

Thanks!
I believe San Antonio has some law that is different than 5.5"... Might want to check around if you live in SA.

Topic author
RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Keith B wrote:Just be careful to not get a double-edged blade as those are still considered illegal.
Thanks Keith!

Anything else to watch out for? :bigear:

Return to “Off-Topic”