Texas 20 Most Dangerous Cities

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

MoJo
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Texas 20 Most Dangerous Cities

Post by MoJo »

I wasn't surprised by Beaumont's ranking, I was surprised that Port Arthur didn't make the list.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

old farmer

Post by old farmer »

:tiphat: :tiphat:
Galveston is number 11. I can live with that ranking. The budget of several cities are being passed, so every piece of false data helps. :mrgreen:
:patriot: :txflag:
God Bliss America.

VMI77
Posts in topic: 2

Post by VMI77 »

mojo84 wrote:
VMI77 wrote:I call hooey. I've lived and worked in a number of those cities that are listed, especially the ones in the Valley. Even if the per 100,000 rates are correct, the conclusion that you have a "1 in 12" chance of being a victim is utter nonsense. In every city crime is concentrated, so if you live in or frequent the high crime areas and are out and about at 3 AM your chance of being a victim will be relatively higher, and if you don't, it will be much much lower. I've never experienced a threatening situation outside of the big cities in Texas...Houston, Dallas/FW, and Dallas isn't even on the list.

Where I live now is not even on the list, but I'm sure I could easily find myself in a dangerous situation if I started roaming the wrong part of town, hanging out at 2 AM, or going to seedy bars. Also, when you look at violent crimes, you see that San Benito has a violent crime rate of 2.83 per 1,0000 and is ranked #14, while Tyler, at 5.4 is ranked #20. The Austin rate is 4.11 per 1,000 and it's ranked #12. Edinburg is ranked #4 and its violent crime rate is only 4.53 per 1,000. It's all demographics and this list grossly oversimplifies reality.

from the article.
We realize that this topic is inherently controversial in nature and hits close to home. We are aware that there are many different ways to present this data, but when compiling this list we chose to consider not just murder rate, but both violent and property crimes.
I think the property crime is what skews the results.
Definitely, not only because it overwhelms the violent crime rates, but because the category, undefined here, is undoubtedly very broad....from getting TP'd on Halloween to being burglarized. I've had my car broken into 3 times, and it's a Royal pain, but it's not up there with confronting a knife wielding assailant or a group of punks with baseball bats.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

San Antonio #5, wow! :shock:

course, there are areas that I won't go into even with my gun!
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Topic author
RetNavy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RetNavy »

https://www.crimereports.com/

i have this site bookmark and take a look at once in awhile.... if your PD makes reports to the database then it will showup.... in advance search you can select what reports to include... and what time frame....
"Freedom itself was attacked this morning by a faceless coward. Freedom will be defended!"
-President George W. Bush, September 11, 2001

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

RetNavy wrote:saw this on my Facebook tonight... was actually posted by a liberal friend

http://www.homesecurityshield.net/news/ ... -in-texas/

my city is #9...

dont know how accurate the data is since the link is through ADT website...
Maybe the marketing department is trying to drum up more business.
http://www.homesecurityshield.net/adt/Texas" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA Endowment Member

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

I am so happy that Rusk is not on that list. :woohoo

jmra

Post by jmra »

Including "property crimes" totally invalidates the credibility of identifying the "most dangerous" cities. Someone spraying graffiti on a wall of a building at 3AM isn't putting anyone in danger.
As someone else noted earlier, you are much more likely to be a victim of a violent crime if you engage in risky behavior (more likely to get mugged if you are bar hopping at 2AM than you are walking down Main Street at 12PM - or more likely to get robbed eating breakfast in Houston at 2AM than if you were eating breakfast at the same place at 8AM - more likely to get shot if you are conducting a drug deal than you are sitting behind your desk at work). So someone engaging in risky behavior may have a 1 in 5 chance of being a victim in the same city where I would only have a 1 in 1000 chance of being a victim.

ETA: Anyone who thinks Lancaster is more dangerous than DeSoto or Oak Cliff doesn't know squat.

My little town isn't on the list but I still put my cars in the garage and keep the house locked.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Return to “Off-Topic”