Hats off to all the truckers out there....

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
daniel2002p
Posts in topic: 1

Hats off to all the truckers out there....

Post by daniel2002p »

Well I always wanted to at least be at the controls of a big rig with a huge trailer on the back and since I work in Networking clearly that was not going to happen anytime soon. My uncle however is a long haul trucker and he invited me out last weekend to come by his place of work and see what its all about in a private parking lot. How could I say no.

It's Saturday and I see this beautiful maroon Volvo with a I think it was a 52' trailer... don't quote me on that since I know nothing about big rigs at all. But it was like my first time all over again I got to sit behind the wheel of big rig and he even let me take it for spin in the loading area. I was at that moment living my dream. The truck on the other hand, not so much. I never heard so much grinding from a transmission, double clutch, no clutch, switch thingy on the gear level, change gear every half a second, check mirrors etc. Holy crap that is a lot of things to do just to get the dang thing moving and then you look in the mirror and all you see is trailer. I can only imagine how ticked off I would be if a car decided to do a emergency stop in front me for no reason.

All this to say you guys and gals that are out there covering the miles in this great country of ours, you have much more respect from me after that experience. Keep on doing what you'r doing and I will give you the room you deserve on the road.

--Dan
"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."
1)Treat firearms as if they are loaded. 2)Point the muzzle away from non-targets.
3)Keep fingers off the trigger until ready to shoot. 4)Be sure of your target and backstop.

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Hats off to all the truckers out there....

Post by RoyGBiv »

My mother in law was a long haul trucker. Hauled explosives for the army, or so she liked to tell.
Drank like a sailor. Smoked like a chimney (rolled her own). Her daughter is awesome, without most of the bad habits :mrgreen:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Return to “Off-Topic”