FBI Active Shooter Study

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 3

FBI Active Shooter Study

Post by RoyGBiv »

This was released last year, but, I don't recall seeing this posted previously. Apologies if this is a repeat.
I'm not all the way through it, but, interesting reading so far...

Was looking for a "Tactics, Training & Mindset" forum for this....

Link opens PDF**
A Study of Active Shooter Incidents in the United States Between 2000 and 2013
Findings
In this study, the FBI identified 160 active shooter incidents, noting they occurred in small
and large towns, in urban and rural areas, and in 40 of 50 states and the District of Columbia.
Though incidents occurred primarily in commerce and educational environments (70.0%),
they also occurred on city streets, on military and other government properties, and in private
residences, health care facilities, and houses of worship. The shooters victimized young and
old, male and female, family members, and people of all races, cultures, and religions.
The findings establish an increasing frequency of incidents annually. During the first 7 years
included in the study, an average of 6.4 incidents occurred annually. In the last 7 years of
the study, that average increased to 16.4 incidents annually. This trend reinforces the need to
remain vigilant regarding prevention efforts and for law enforcement to aggressively train to
better respond to—and help communities recover from—active shooter incidents.
The findings also reflect the damage that can occur in a matter of minutes. In 64
incidents where the duration of the incident could be ascertained, 44 (69.0%) of 64
incidents ended in 5 minutes or less, with 23 ending in 2 minutes or less. Even when law
enforcement was present or able to respond within minutes, civilians often had to make
life and death decisions, and, therefore, should be engaged in training and discussions on
decisions they may face.
Also worth noting that terrorism was not a factor in any of the incidents studied (that I've found thus far). The increasing risk of both organized and lone-wolf terror incidents must also be considered in planning for active shooter response.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 1

Re: FBI Active Shooter Study

Post by anygunanywhere »

RoyGBiv wrote:Also worth noting that terrorism was not a factor in any of the incidents studied (that I've found thus far). The increasing risk of both organized and lone-wolf terror incidents must also be considered in planning for active shooter response.
Well, there was that "workplace violence" thing up at Fort Hood….

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

anygunanywhere wrote:
RoyGBiv wrote:Also worth noting that terrorism was not a factor in any of the incidents studied (that I've found thus far). The increasing risk of both organized and lone-wolf terror incidents must also be considered in planning for active shooter response.

Anygunanywhere
You got that right.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

anygunanywhere wrote:

Anygunanywhere
True... :oops:
I was thinking about a small organized cell attack when I posted that... I agree that Ft Hood was "terrorism".

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

One thing that struck me in the study and has been taught by Dave Grossman for several years is the copycats are looking for the fame and the next high score.

If a rapid response, by either police or a CHL, can limit the count these people will see that getting a high score becomes very difficult and maybe will find other, less dangerous ways to vent their frustrations. To that end we need GFZs removed and let everyone have the chance to defend themselves (at their choosing).

The media also needs to stop glamorizing the "alleged shooter". Quit saying their name. Quit showing their picture. Quit referring to them as one of the victims. I understand that the name and picture may need to be shown for the first report but after that stop sensationalizing them. Focus on the victims if you have to go back to the story but quit giving the bad guy all the air time. When you do have to mention them stop making excuses for them and down-playing what they really are, a killer.

Topic author
RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Already running here: http://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=74465" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My bad.. Please close this one.

Return to “Off-Topic”