Conviction on driving record

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
nyj
Posts in topic: 4

Conviction on driving record

Post by nyj »

Long story short, a few years ago I got a couple of tickets for moving violations and hired an attorney to handle them. He missed the court date, and I received 3 warrants for my arrest (1 for each of the 2 violations, and 1 for missing court). One was dropped, I did deferred on the other, and I guess I never knew that the missed court date went on my record.

As someone applying with the government, this worries me. The specific conviction is stated as "BAIL JUMPING - FAILURE TO APPEAR."

I have gotten my CHL since, I've passed multiple background checks, etc. and have never had a problem -- today was the first time I checked my driving record.

Anyone have any input on this? I'm about to track that attorney down and give him an ear full.

cb1000rider
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Conviction on driving record

Post by cb1000rider »

It looks to me like it depends on the class of the original charge. Were the original charges punishable by fine only? If so, it's probably Class-C.
Otherwise, It's likely a Class-A misdemeanor and you'd need to put 5 years between it and a CHL application:
"...s (8) has not, in the five years preceding the date of application, been convicted of a Class A or Class B misdemeanor or an offense under Section 42.01, Penal Code; (GC §411.172. ELIGIBILITY). "

Note, the way I read the penal code, you probably could have gotten a pass on this if you hired an attorney, as it's a " reasonable excuse ". Not the first time that I've read about a "traffic citation" attorney that didn't show up.

Topic author
nyj

Post by nyj »

cb1000rider wrote:It looks to me like it depends on the class of the original charge. Were the original charges punishable by fine only? If so, it's probably Class-C.
Otherwise, It's likely a Class-A misdemeanor and you'd need to put 5 years between it and a CHL application:
"...s (8) has not, in the five years preceding the date of application, been convicted of a Class A or Class B misdemeanor or an offense under Section 42.01, Penal Code; (GC §411.172. ELIGIBILITY). "

Note, the way I read the penal code, you probably could have gotten a pass on this if you hired an attorney, as it's a " reasonable excuse ". Not the first time that I've read about a "traffic citation" attorney that didn't show up.
I'm pretty sure I paid a fine on it, since my total amounted to almost $500 between the three.

Thanks for the info.

BTW - I think I've ridden with you many years ago. Black CBR and name starts with an E?

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

Doesn't matter if you paid a fine. What matters is what the range of punishment is...

The CB is very different from the CBR. Name doesn't start with an E. Very very old monicker that I've kept around from memory. I'm an equal-opportunity biker, though.. if it has 2 wheels and a motor, I don't discriminate.

Topic author
nyj

Post by nyj »

I only did deferred on the moving violation that didn't get dropped, and believe I only paid for the 'bail jump.' Any idea who the best person is to call and ask about the charge? Getting a run around with DPS.

EEllis
Banned

Post by EEllis »

Ask what? An FTA on a class C is itself a class C. You got a ticket for missing court on a ticket. No one cares. Additionally you already paid. There is nothing to do now. You had your chance to challenge it but you paid up. Why complain now?

Topic author
nyj

Post by nyj »

EEllis wrote:Ask what? An FTA on a class C is itself a class C. You got a ticket for missing court on a ticket. No one cares. Additionally you already paid. There is nothing to do now. You had your chance to challenge it but you paid up. Why complain now?
Who's complaining? Have a drink and chill out.

jmra
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jmra »

Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

EEllis
Banned

Post by EEllis »

nyj wrote:
EEllis wrote:Ask what? An FTA on a class C is itself a class C. You got a ticket for missing court on a ticket. No one cares. Additionally you already paid. There is nothing to do now. You had your chance to challenge it but you paid up. Why complain now?
Who's complaining? Have a drink and chill out.

I'm about to track that attorney down and give him an ear full.
Yep no one cares here.

Return to “Off-Topic”