Who Here Eats Beef Tongue?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

KC5AV
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Who Here Eats Beef Tongue?

Post by KC5AV »

There is a local Mexican restaurant that serves some very good beef tongue tacos with cilantro and raw onion on homemade tortillas (flour or corn, your choice). I rarely go in there without ordering at least a couple of them to go with the rest of my meal.
NRA lifetime member

SC1903A3
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SC1903A3 »

Best Lingua tacos in Irving are at Dona Lencha. I grew up eating tongue sandwiches.Tongue, two slabs of bread and mustard.

AlaskanInTexas

Post by AlaskanInTexas »

This post brought flashbacks of my 5th grade teacher having a big kid hold me down so she could try to force me to eat some caribou heart from a recent dissection activity.

n5wd

Post by n5wd »

RetNavy wrote:dont think ever had tongue..... even had a meat considered a delicacy over in the Philippines, normally considered a family pet here.. missed my chance for some elk as a kid due to a dentist visit. :cryin
I accompanied a Chaplain's group visiting a Montagnard village in the Central Highlands of Vietnam, during a Civic Action trip back in 1971 or '72. As I was a photojournalist for the Air Force, then, I was zipping around all of the activity trying to get good pictures, and not really paying attention to anything but the projects that were going on, as well as the corpsmen who were doing "sick call" for the villagers.

As we were going to stay overnight in the 'ville, after all the work was done and the clinic wrapped up for the day, we went over to the village hut to have dinner with the village chief, and his staff and elders. The dinner was kind of like a Chinese dim-sum... where lots of things were passed around and you took a little bit of whatever looked interesting.

I tried one particular meat product that was roasted.. quite apetizing smell and appearance, and tasted like a cross between brisket and breakfast flat steaks.... I was almost done, when I made the mistake of asking our table's interpreter what the dish was called, and what kind of meat it was.

I had noticed earlier in the day that the kids didn't play with the village dogs.. they (the dogs) were kept in a pen, away from most everyone. They did, though, appear to be well fed and healthy looking.

Now I knew why! :oops: :roll: :cryin
Last edited by n5wd on Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

Jim Beaux

Post by Jim Beaux »

n5wd wrote:
RetNavy wrote:dont think ever had tongue..... even had a meat considered a delicacy over in the Philippines, normally considered a family pet here.. missed my chance for some elk as a kid due to a dentist visit. :cryin
I accompanied a Chaplain's group visiting a Montagard village in the Central Highlands of Vietnam, during a Civic Action trip back in 1971 or '72. As I was a photojournalist for the Air Force, then, I was zipping around all of the activity trying to get good pictures, and not really paying attention to anything but the projects that were going on, as well as the corpsmen who were doing "sick call" for the villagers.

As we were going to stay overnight in the 'ville, after all the work was done and the clinic wrapped up for the day, we went over to the village hut to have dinner with the village chief, and his staff and elders. The dinner was kind of like a Chinese dim-sum... where lots of things were passed around and you took a little bit of whatever looked interesting.

I tried one particular meat product that was roasted.. quite apetizing smell and appearance, and tasted like a cross between brisket and breakfast flat steaks.... I was almost done, when I made the mistake of asking our table's interpreter what the dish was called, and what kind of meat it was.

I had noticed earlier in the day that the kids didn't play with the village dogs.. they (the dogs) were kept in a pen, away from most everyone. They did, though, appear to be well fed and healthy looking.

Now I knew why! :oops: :roll: :cryin
RUH ROH! YOU ATE SKOOBY DOO? :eek6
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

RetNavy wrote:dont think ever had tongue..... but love liver( i know, i'm not normal)... and chicken gizzards :cheers2: ... one of my last seasons deer hunting centuries ago, even though didnt bring in a deer did bring some liver and heart to the camp... (another hunter was jsut going discard them.... ) even had a meat considered a delicacy over in the Philippines, normally considered a family pet here.. missed my chance for some elk as a kid due to a dentist visit. :cryin
You and Obama...
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

Post by 77346 »

If y'all like to try new stuff and happen to see a Colombian or Venezuelan restaurant (at least here in the Houston area) see if they have "Lengua Criolla" (creole tongue). It is quite good...

People that are usually picky with their food, eat tongue and like it if you don't tell them what it is.
Alex
NRA Benefactor Life & TSRA Life Member
Bay Area Shooting Club Member
CHL since 7/12 | 28 days mailbox-to-mailbox

Dan20703
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Dan20703 »

After reading these posts I'm headed out to Fiesta Tacos to try lengua. I've eaten tongue sandwiches before but never a taco.
I'll report back after lunch.
There will always be prayer in schools as long as there are tests.

"It's all about shot placement."- David (Slayer of Goliath)

SC1903A3

Post by SC1903A3 »

This is the way my wife "the southside Chicago Italian" cooks tongue. In beef broth slow cooked in speckled pot in the oven until tender. Then peeled and sliced.

Dan20703

Post by Dan20703 »

Dan20703 wrote:After reading these posts I'm headed out to Fiesta Tacos to try lengua. I've eaten tongue sandwiches before but never a taco.

They didn't have Lengua. They said it is very expensive right now so it is off the menu until the price drops.

Dan20703

Post by Dan20703 »

SC1903A3 wrote:This is the way my wife "the southside Chicago Italian" cooks tongue. In beef broth slow cooked in speckled pot in the oven until tender. Then peeled and sliced.
I grew up in an Italian/Polish neighborhood in Western NY. This is the way I have eaten it before. I think there were also onions, garlic, and celery in the broth. Peeled, cooled and thinly sliced. Fresh bread and mustard. Good sandwich.

TheCytochromeC

Post by TheCytochromeC »

Dan20703 wrote:
Dan20703 wrote:After reading these posts I'm headed out to Fiesta Tacos to try lengua. I've eaten tongue sandwiches before but never a taco.

They didn't have Lengua. They said it is very expensive right now so it is off the menu until the price drops.
It's funny how a lot of people think, " It's a tongue so it's nasty, gross and cheap," when in reality it's exactly the opposite. After all, there's only one tongue per cow.

ripnbst

Post by ripnbst »

If you want to get in touch with your inner zombie try eating Barbacoa, it is "face meat".

txglock21

Post by txglock21 »

ripnbst wrote:If you want to get in touch with your inner zombie try eating Barbacoa, it is "face meat".
Had it for lunch today. I have been walking around like a zombie ever since. I need a nap! :yawn
"Laugh about everything or cry about nothing."
NRA Life Member & TSRA Member/ Former USAF

TheCytochromeC

Post by TheCytochromeC »

ripnbst wrote:If you want to get in touch with your inner zombie try eating Barbacoa, it is "face meat".
True barbacoa is face/cheek meat. Most commercially sold barbacoa is not authentic though, it's usually just bistek or a similar chuck-like cut.

Return to “Off-Topic”