Who Here Eats Beef Tongue?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Abraham
Posts in topic: 4

Who Here Eats Beef Tongue?

Post by Abraham »

When I was 11 years old, I was served a magnificent, intensely flavored beef sandwich.

I don't recall what else was on the sandwich, mustard, maybe, perhaps some raw onion and fresh tomato, with lots of cracked black pepper and of course a bit of salt.

I launched into this thing with gusto!

Halfway though eating this delectable sandwich, I inquired as to what cut of beef the sandwich was made from.

All three of the adults I was eating with, stopped eating and stared at each other.

I could immediately see there was some sort of conspiracy at hand and I was not included.

I pressed on with my inquiry and finally one of them confessed that I was eating tongue.

My appetite went from 100 mph to zero...

Tongue? Tongue?

I thought it the most disgusting thing I'd ever eaten and felt like I had been duped into something all 3 adults knew I wouldn't eat if I knew from the start what it was I was eating.

Hey, I was 11. Never a picky eater, but tongue, aaaaaaahhhhhhhh, grosssssss.

Now, many decades later, I wonder if I didn't sell tongue short, so to speak.

So, anyone here eat it?

If so, how do you prepare it?

Thanks!

Texsquatch
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Who Here Eats Beef Tongue?

Post by Texsquatch »

Like anything else, all depends on how it's cooked. Funny that you called it delectable until you were told what it was.

I have eaten many things out of the ordinary. Nothing wrong with it. Just don't have to always be a spoiled American.

Lots of our ancestors in Texas - white, Mexican, Native American, black - didn't waste anything.

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Texsquatch,

Remember, I was 11.

After watching some episodes of "Life Below Zero" and seeing how prized Caribou tongue is got me to thinking I'd have to try some beef tongue, as Caribou is in mighty short supply in my neck of the woods.

As an adult, I have a much different palate.

I've eaten all sorts of things my 11 year old self wouldn't have, like snails, caviar, octopus, rattle snake, alligator, squirrel and on and on...

VoiceofReason
Banned

Post by VoiceofReason »

Abraham wrote:Texsquatch,

Remember, I was 11.

After watching some episodes of "Life Below Zero" and seeing how prized Caribou tongue is got me to thinking I'd have to try some beef tongue, as Caribou is in mighty short supply in my neck of the woods.

As an adult, I have a much different palate.

I've eaten all sorts of things my 11 year old self wouldn't have, like snails, caviar, octopus, rattle snake, alligator, squirrel and on and on...
When I was 11 I ate squirrel and rabbit a lot. I even tried opossum.

When my dad bought a box of shotgun shells it was an investment in our food supply.
God Bless America, and please hurry.
When I was young I knew all the answers. When I got older I started to realize I just hadn’t quite understood the questions.-Me

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

The tongue is like any other cut of meat, get past the image of it and enjoy it. I have had tongue prepared the Tex-Mex style (barbacoa) and prepared properly it tastes great.

2farnorth

Post by 2farnorth »

As a child I had to eat tongue. It was never a favorite, but it was better than going hungry.
We also had to eat "scrapple" which had a favorable taste, but didn't look very appetizing (gray colored). This was among the usual venison, squirrel, pheasant, rabbit, and raccoon that were in abundance. I drew the line at wood chuck (ground hog), but dad and mom ate it at times. Of course we drank raw milk , used raw honey, and ate carrots straight out of the ground. :cool:
N5PNZ

jminn1

Post by jminn1 »

My mom used to make baked beef tongue regularly... It was one of my dad's favorites.
Equality, rightly understood as our founding fathers understood it, leads to liberty and to the emancipation of creative differences; wrongly understood, as it has been so tragically in our time, it leads first to conformity and then to despotism. Barry Goldwater

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

I worked for my uncle on his farm one summer. Learned a lot about cattle and beef production and decided I was not cut out to be a rancher LOL.

Many parts of animals are very edible but just not the norm for Americans. We are a very picky bunch of eaters when it comes to what part of the animal we eat. American's seem to think a lot of the animal is scrap meat and only want the prime cuts of beef. Tongue is actually one of the very innocuous 'parts' of the cow, much less than brains, pancreas, liver, lungs, etc. It is also one of the few parts that you actually get to see before the animal is slaughtered. Specifically when they lick their snotty noses with it. :smilelol5:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

aaangel

Post by aaangel »

it's called beef lengua back home in the philippines. i only see/eat it during special ocassions.
'got to Texas ASAIC.

RetNavy

Post by RetNavy »

dont think ever had tongue..... but love liver( i know, i'm not normal)... and chicken gizzards :cheers2: ... one of my last seasons deer hunting centuries ago, even though didnt bring in a deer did bring some liver and heart to the camp... (another hunter was jsut going discard them.... ) even had a meat considered a delicacy over in the Philippines, normally considered a family pet here.. missed my chance for some elk as a kid due to a dentist visit. :cryin
"Freedom itself was attacked this morning by a faceless coward. Freedom will be defended!"
-President George W. Bush, September 11, 2001

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Growing up, my parents raised cattle, as did most of our family. I've fed them, roped them, drove them, run them down chutes, tagged them, given them shots, drawn blood from them, and even banded a few bulls.

I've seen where they put those things. Nope, I'm not eating tongue!
Last edited by Pawpaw on Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Vol Texan
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Vol Texan »

Tongue is yummy. The only recipe I have is as follows:
  • Go to Bakersfield, CA
  • Go to any of the Basque restaurants there (oddly enough, Bakersfield is a nexus of Basque culture and cuisine). I like Noriega's most of all, but Wool Grower's and Benji's are also two of the better choices.
  • Order anything you want
  • Before the main entree comes, you'll have to endure nearly a dozen pre-entree courses. This means more food than the average mortal could possibly consume. Mixed among the vegetable soup, beans, salsa, salad, tomatoes, french fries, etc, you'll also get a serving of tongue.
  • Then go to Buck Owens' Crystal Palace and have a great time.
  • Then get out of Cali and back to Texas as soon as you can.
Last edited by Vol Texan on Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

jmra

Post by jmra »

Vol Texan wrote:Tongue is yummy. The only recipe I have is as follows:

Go to Bakersfield, CA
You lost me right here.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

When I think of all the deer I've harvested...man, I let some good stuff go to waste...

And I love liver too, just didn't think of it.

I guess I had so much muscle meat such things didn't seem important...

Return to “Off-Topic”