Electricity went dead in theater today...

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

knotquiteawake
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Electricity went dead in theater today...

Post by knotquiteawake »

3 years ago I was on one of the "Adventure" type rides (sit in a car and "drive" through different scenes) by the Alamo. Right towards the end the power went out. It was pitch black, couldn't see my hand in front of my face. I did NOT like that feeling. A few weeks later I bought a small flashlight. Since then some kind of flashlight has been part of my EDC. I almost ALWAYS regret it when I forget it.
To be fair, I was already kind of a flashlight nut. I now have one in the trunk, next to the driver's seat, in my backpack, in my desk, by the bed, in the garage, in my wife's car, in the kitchen, in the laundry room, and or course in my pocket. I don't think its physically possible for my wife to roll her eyes any further when the subject of flashlights comes up...

SA_Steve

Post by SA_Steve »

knotquiteawake wrote:3 years ago I was on one of the "Adventure" type rides (sit in a car and "drive" through different scenes) by the Alamo. Right towards the end the power went out. It was pitch black, couldn't see my hand in front of my face. I did NOT like that feeling. A few weeks later I bought a small flashlight. Since then some kind of flashlight has been part of my EDC. I almost ALWAYS regret it when I forget it.
To be fair, I was already kind of a flashlight nut. I now have one in the trunk, next to the driver's seat, in my backpack, in my desk, by the bed, in the garage, in my wife's car, in the kitchen, in the laundry room, and or course in my pocket. I don't think its physically possible for my wife to roll her eyes any further when the subject of flashlights comes up...
Great !
I'm the same way and a flashlight is my favorite gift to others. And you will find that very few women own one unless you forced it on them.
You may have the last word.

apostate

Post by apostate »

MechAg94 wrote:I have a small bright LED light, but it has the button on the end. It always gets turned on in my pocket. After changing out the CR123 battery a couple times, I stopped carrying it. Does anyone make a small self-defense or tactical flashlight that has a cover or cap over the button?
I don't know any that have a cover, but you can get a flashlight with a tailcap that reduces the chance of the light being turned on accidentally, like the one on the left. I believe the FourSevens Quark Pro line fits the bill, as do some of the Fenix lights.

Another option for a utility (not tactical) light is one you turn on by turning the head. I own and like the FourSevens Preon P1 in that space. The theoretical downside is the AAA battery life but in practice it hasn't been an issue for me. Besides, replacement AAA are both cheap and ubiquitous.

SigM4

Post by SigM4 »

As someone above mentioned, a small flashlight might be even more useful than a pocketknife when part of your EDC. There are a lot of great options out there, but since I wear slacks most days for work I find myself gravitating to the small single AAA battery lights. Even within that category though there are a lot of options. I've been carrying a Fenix LD01 for a while now. I like the three brightness settings, the lowest of which (9 lumens) will run for 11 hours on a single battery. Additionally, its a twist cap so not a long of worry about it turning on in my pocket.

Similarly, my wife carries a Fenix E01 in her purse. While it only has one setting (13 lumens), should the power go out as described in the OP it would be more than enough to get her and my daughter to the exit. I tend to get caught up on output when in reality, in a situation of total darkness, even a small light will go a long way. The E01 also makes great gifts as they're cost effective.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

MotherBear
Posts in topic: 2

Post by MotherBear »

MechAg94 wrote:I have a small bright LED light, but it has the button on the end. It always gets turned on in my pocket. After changing out the CR123 battery a couple times, I stopped carrying it. Does anyone make a small self-defense or tactical flashlight that has a cover or cap over the button?
I unscrew the end of mine a little when not using it, so that it can't be turned on. It makes it a little slower to turn it on, but I haven't generally required a quick-draw flashlight.

spolct

Post by spolct »

knotquiteawake wrote: I don't think its physically possible for my wife to roll her eyes any further when the subject of flashlights comes up...
THIS. I love me some flashlights.

Cedar Park Dad
Banned

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

MotherBear wrote:
I unscrew the end of mine a little when not using it, so that it can't be turned on. It makes it a little slower to turn it on, but I haven't generally required a quick-draw flashlight.
Thats a good idea.

Topic author
CHLLady
Posts in topic: 3

Post by CHLLady »

I just had to come back and say how proud I am of my little one. We returned to the theater to use our free tickets and LO came prepared with her own flashlight! I praised her and told her how proud I was she was prepared. She even put it to use helping Dad sign for the meal in the dark. :thumbs2:

Good news is the electricity worked this time. Lol
If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. Nonsense! If you carry a gun, what do you have to be paranoid about?

winters
Banned

Post by winters »

I would just whip out my cell phone and turn on the led light that is used for the flash. the iphone flash led is quite bright.

KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

At $4, I got two of them, with one in the emergency kit and one in my outside jacket pocket. Switch is easy to hit, but it uses 1AA, so carrying a spare is cheap and easy. Fenix LD20 in the driver's side door pocket. Also one of these in the inside pocket of my work jacket: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-2 ... t/27859985" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

With everything LED and using AAs, I can easily make sure I have several hours of light available. Plus since the company issued me an iPhone 4S, I can just ask Siri to turn on the light :)

Then if that all fails, I have plenty of fire making stuff in the emergency kit too...and 2 gallons each of gasoline and kerosene in the trunk to help with that.

liberT

Post by liberT »

KD5NRH wrote:

At $4, I got two of them, with one in the emergency kit and one in my outside jacket pocket. Switch is easy to hit, but it uses 1AA, so carrying a spare is cheap and easy.
The SIPIK 68 knockoffs vary in quality. They're all rough externally but some are better than others internally. If you get one with good solder joints and a centered LED, or you're willing and able to DIY fix, they're diamonds in the rough.
de oppresso liber

KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

liberT wrote:
KD5NRH wrote:

At $4, I got two of them, with one in the emergency kit and one in my outside jacket pocket. Switch is easy to hit, but it uses 1AA, so carrying a spare is cheap and easy.
The SIPIK 68 knockoffs vary in quality. They're all rough externally but some are better than others internally. If you get one with good solder joints and a centered LED, or you're willing and able to DIY fix, they're diamonds in the rough.
Both of mine are well into the "good enough" territory. Nowhere near matching the turbo output on my Fenix, but plenty for following a trail or working on the car. Haven't left one on until it dies to see what the battery life is, but from the use I put on one before the battery gave up, I'm sure it's several hours. In a "look and then go as far as you saw" scenario, I would expect to be able to hike all night on a fresh battery as long as I don't run into too many areas that need continuous scrutiny. Of course, the Fenix is in the car door pocket, so if I'm making camp or hiking out from a breakdown, I'll likely be carrying both of the cheapies, the Fenix, the WalMart OT light and 1-2 multi-LED worklights that I keep in the car for nighttime repairs. I don't like tripping over stuff in the dark :)

Then, if I'm making camp, the 72 hour kit has 3-4 different fire starting methods covered, plus food, water, spare knife and shelter, but I still have to gather firewood and put up whatever shelter I decide on, so light is good there too.

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

The Annoyed Man wrote:A small pocketable LED flashlight is part of my EDC, along with my pocket knife and cellphone. I never leave the house without them. It seems strange to me that even people who do not go about strapped will neglect to have a pocket knife and flashlight along.
I do exactly the same. Everywhere. Every time.

And have used all of the above.

Many times.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Return to “Off-Topic”