State of Virginia "loophole" don't need TX CHL ?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
SA_Steve
Posts in topic: 1

State of Virginia "loophole" don't need TX CHL ?

Post by SA_Steve »

This has probably been discussed before but I did not find out exactly how a Virginia "loophole" lets TX residents bypass TX CHL requirements.

I've recently moved from Georgia where an out-of-state license was no good for a Georgia resident.

Kinda doubt that my unexpired GA Weapons License is good now that I'm a TX resident. How could a Virginia license be useful in TX ?

http://www.khou.com/story/news/2014/07/21/11839840/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.gopusamedia.com/C/1165/12444/2123418" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You may have the last word.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Re: State of Virginia "loophole" don't need TX CHL ?

Post by Keith B »

Unlike Georgia, Texas will allow residents to carry on a non-resident license from another state. So, getting a Virginia non-resident license will allow you to carry in Texas with some minor restrictions (no school property for one).

The issue is whether your GA license actually becomes invalid when you move. GA states it issues non-resident licenses to military personnel stationed there, but does not talk about residents of other states. It also does not mention that your license becomes invalid when you move out of state, so it may still be valid.

Does your license have your GA address on it? If so, then your address would be incorrect, but does that really invalidate the license? Don't know.

I would recommend you call the county where you got your license and ask if when you move out of state does your license become invalid, or is it still good through expiration and if so can it be renewed?
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

Didn't Texas pass a change where you could not use an out of state CHL if you were a Texas resident? I thought that passed.

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

MechAg94 wrote:Didn't Texas pass a change where you could not use an out of state CHL if you were a Texas resident? I thought that passed.
It did not pass.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Keith B »

G.A. Heath wrote:
MechAg94 wrote:Didn't Texas pass a change where you could not use an out of state CHL if you were a Texas resident? I thought that passed.
It did not pass.
It never made it to the floor.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Return to “Off-Topic”