Reminiscing

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
RetNavy
Posts in topic: 3

Reminiscing

Post by RetNavy »

With the cold weather it bought back memories of hunting in Northern Michigan.... it seems that C-R-A-C-K of Dad's .303 British and eldest brother's 30-30 was always so much louder and sharper during the cold weather than during summer... even the shotguns had a different sound to them..... short bark of younger brother .410, B-O-O-M of the .12 gauge, the barking of our dogs as they chase the rabbits through the cedar swamps.... ever notice how sound carries when its chilly,

even though the last time i went hunting was in the early 80's, those sounds are still with me...

Just missing the snow a teeny weeny bit :biggrinjester:

RetNavy
"Freedom itself was attacked this morning by a faceless coward. Freedom will be defended!"
-President George W. Bush, September 11, 2001

puma guy
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Reminiscing

Post by puma guy »

RetNavy wrote:With the cold weather it bought back memories of hunting in Northern Michigan.... it seems that C-R-A-C-K of Dad's .303 British and eldest brother's 30-30 was always so much louder and sharper during the cold weather than during summer... even the shotguns had a different sound to them..... short bark of younger brother .410, B-O-O-M of the .12 gauge, the barking of our dogs as they chase the rabbits through the cedar swamps.... ever notice how sound carries when its chilly,

even though the last time i went hunting was in the early 80's, those sounds are still with me...

Just missing the snow a teeny weeny bit :biggrinjester:

RetNavy
I remember a hunt in the Hill Country several years ago after it snowed. The cold , the snow covered landscape, the sounds all made for one of my most memorable hunts. A unique experience here in Texas that was the norm for you so I can understand how you'd miss it. I enjoyed reading your memory.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Post by The Annoyed Man »

It is a fact that cold air conducts sound differently and more clearly than warm air, due to cold air's greater density. There are multiple instances of sailors in WW2, swimming away from a sinking ship, hearing the penultimate explosion under water first, and then popping their heads up to observe and hearing the exact same explosion a second time because the sound of it traveled to them faster under water than through the air — water being denser than air.

When you add to that the allure of good memories, and it is all the more striking.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Jim Beaux

Post by Jim Beaux »

Cmon Man! Sumptens gotta be wrong wit your memory....cantcha 'member the smell of camp coffee, bacon, & eggs on those cold morning? :drool:
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

Topic author
RetNavy

Post by RetNavy »

Jim Beaux wrote:Cmon Man! Sumptens gotta be wrong wit your memory....cantcha 'member the smell of camp coffee, bacon, & eggs on those cold morning? :drool:
I remember one of the last time I went deer hunting, we set our camper up about month before and started staying about 2 weeks before season started... night before season started, a ******* from down south (Detroit area) pulled in with a fifth wheeler on a diesel truck, reving up and down trying to back it in a spot.... after that he hooked a gas generator....... karma came around about three days later, he walked in with his brand new .308 barrel looking like a tripod.... said he didnt know he had mud in barrel when he shot..... looked more like a light load....

camper was propane powered so yep... did have eggs, bacon, and coffee and yep.... it smelled delicious....
"Freedom itself was attacked this morning by a faceless coward. Freedom will be defended!"

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

Bacon and eggs over an open fire, coffee boiled in the pot, waking up in the morning the night after we decided not to set up the tent because it was such a nice night (and it was late, and we had stopped for a couple of beers in the nearest town) and finding four inches of snow blanketing us. 1964 - got my first deer that year.

The last time I went deer hunting was 1991, and birds and bunnies in 1992.

And no, I don't miss snow one bit.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

puma guy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by puma guy »

RetNavy wrote:
Jim Beaux wrote:Cmon Man! Sumptens gotta be wrong wit your memory....cantcha 'member the smell of camp coffee, bacon, & eggs on those cold morning? :drool:
I remember one of the last time I went deer hunting, we set our camper up about month before and started staying about 2 weeks before season started... night before season started, a ******* from down south (Detroit area) pulled in with a fifth wheeler on a diesel truck, reving up and down trying to back it in a spot.... after that he hooked a gas generator....... karma came around about three days later, he walked in with his brand new .308 barrel looking like a tripod.... said he didnt know he had mud in barrel when he shot..... looked more like a light load....

camper was propane powered so yep... did have eggs, bacon, and coffee and yep.... it smelled delicious....

I was checking out a deer lease once and in the middle of the night a couple of members pulled in with their big trailer and spent an hour noisily detaching and setting up. Lots of loud talk and a couple of kids yelling. Seemed as though I'd just closed my eyes when I was awakened by gun multiple gunshots. The dads had set up a target on a tree right in camp for the kids to shoot. It was a great piece of property, but I told the guys that invited me to join thanks, but include me out!
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Wolverine

Post by Wolverine »

RetNavy wrote:Just missing the snow a teeny weeny bit :biggrinjester:
Maybe it's time for a trip to Buffalo.

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty."
III

Topic author
RetNavy

Post by RetNavy »

niece has been posting pictures of here place in Michigan on FB.... not as much as Buffalo, about 8-10 inches...

stroo

Post by stroo »

They got a foot of snow where I grew up in Michigan. While I loved hunting in the snow when I was young, I am not young anymore and don't miss the snow one bit. ;-)

Return to “Off-Topic”