Word "Veteran" on TXDL

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

jayinsat
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Word "Veteran" on TXDL

Post by jayinsat »

txglock21 wrote:
G26ster wrote:I had no trouble getting military award plates for my car with a simple photocopy of the orders, and Veteran on my CHL with a photocopy of my DD214 also. Wondering why a "certified" copy of a DD214 is required just for Veteran on a DL. :headscratch
A copy of your DD214 is all you need to get it added to your DL. It doesn't even have to be certified. I don't want to speak for anyone else, but I think what they are saying is in case you lose YOUR DD214, then you can always get certified copies from the county if you did what they were suggesting instead of having to request through the Federal government.
:iagree: That's exactly what we were saying.
Armed not dangerous but potentially lethal.
CHL Application mailed 10/2/12
Plastic in hand 11/16/12

G26ster
Posts in topic: 2

Post by G26ster »

txglock21 wrote:
G26ster wrote:I had no trouble getting military award plates for my car with a simple photocopy of the orders, and Veteran on my CHL with a photocopy of my DD214 also. Wondering why a "certified" copy of a DD214 is required just for Veteran on a DL. :headscratch
A copy of your DD214 is all you need to get it added to your DL. It doesn't even have to be certified. I don't want to speak for anyone else, but I think what they are saying is in case you lose YOUR DD214, then you can always get certified copies from the county if you did what they were suggesting instead of having to request through the Federal government.
I got all of my 4 or 5 DD214 copies from the gov't years ago. I am curious when a "certified" copy is needed.

txglock21
Posts in topic: 4

Post by txglock21 »

G26ster wrote:
txglock21 wrote:
I got all of my 4 or 5 DD214 copies from the gov't years ago. I am curious when a "certified" copy is needed.
Oh, sorry for the confusion. That I can't answer as I have never had to have a "certified" copy for anything. In every instance I have needed "a copy" of my DD214, just a photocopy has sufficed. :tiphat:
"Laugh about everything or cry about nothing."
NRA Life Member & TSRA Member/ Former USAF

Topic author
stash

Post by stash »

Went to the DPS office with a cc of my dd-214 yesterday. Other than the wait it was pretty much a snap. They accepted a cc of the dd-214 (not certified) and they provided me with a temporary DL for use until my new DL arrives.

I must have been asleep sometime in the past because my new DL expires on the same date as my CHL. So I checked my wife's DL and CHL and they expire on the same date.
TSRA
NRA
TFC
USMC 1961-1966

KD5NRH
Posts in topic: 1

Post by KD5NRH »

Panzer Possum wrote:I'm glad it's not mandatory. I'm happier not having it on my licenses.
Just means you'll be the one having to bust all these other guys out of the concentration camps.

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

double post...
Last edited by RogueUSMC on Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

stash wrote:Went to the DPS office with a cc of my dd-214 yesterday. Other than the wait it was pretty much a snap. They accepted a cc of the dd-214 (not certified) and they provided me with a temporary DL for use until my new DL arrives.

I must have been asleep sometime in the past because my new DL expires on the same date as my CHL. So I checked my wife's DL and CHL and they expire on the same date.
Does that date happen to be your birthday?...lol
- Napoleon Bonaparte

Topic author
stash

Post by stash »

Well I guess I showed my ignorance here. I guess I could say I did not have my first cup of coffee when I made that post.
TSRA
NRA
TFC
USMC 1961-1966

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

stash wrote:Well I guess I showed my ignorance here. I guess I could say I did not have my first cup of coffee when I made that post.
It happens to the best of us...you just proved that...lol
- Napoleon Bonaparte

DEB

Post by DEB »

I went to update my Driver's License yesterday and seen that I could add the word Veteran on my Driver's License. So, I went to the clerk after I filled out my form and he stated he had to have proof of my status. I handed him my Retired Military ID card and he stated that wasn't good enough and that it must be my DD 214. I didn't argue, but I did ask how he figured I was able to get a Retired Military ID without being a Veteran and in the Military? I left it alone after that, as I didn't carry my DD 214 with me to the licensing agency. Maybe, although I don't know how, someone could be retired from the Military without having an Honorable Discharge? So a retired military ID isn't sufficient, but a copy of my DD 214, minus a picture is? Kind of like not being able to use my CHL for a second form of identification on a Military Base. So, here I am, I have a Retired Military ID, can't be used to verify I was in the Military, I have a CHL, can't be used to verify my identity everywhere, I have a Military CAC, I have a Texas Driver's License and all are required, in order to move around with my job and life. I can vote, or could with a picture less voter ID, but at that time couldn't use a CHL, even this time I had to show my Driver's License because the voting counter wouldn't recognize my CHL. Politicians I just don't know... :anamatedbanana
Unless we keep the barbarian virtues, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail. Oversentimentality, oversoftness, washiness, and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people." Teddy Roosevelt"
DEB=Daniel E Bertram
U.S. Army Retired, (Sapper). VFW Life Member.

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

Scott B. wrote: However, if you lived or worked in an area that was hostile to military service, you might not want to advertise. International travel could be an issue too.
Where can you live in the US that is hostile to military service? PR maybe?

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

cb1000rider wrote:
Scott B. wrote: However, if you lived or worked in an area that was hostile to military service, you might not want to advertise. International travel could be an issue too.
Many areas in Kalifornia.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

txglock21

Post by txglock21 »

KD5NRH wrote:
Panzer Possum wrote:I'm glad it's not mandatory. I'm happier not having it on my licenses.
Just means you'll be the one having to bust all these other guys out of the concentration camps.
:confused5 I don't understand this statement. If you are implying what I think you are, I will just keep my comments to myself on this one! :leaving
"Laugh about everything or cry about nothing."
NRA Life Member & TSRA Member/ Former USAF

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

cb1000rider wrote:
That's not so much of an issue now, but between wars when the public's memory has grown hazy about what the military is for...things can get a little uglier around military bases than the usual civilian - military tensions.

You get hoary tales like, "Dogs and Sailors not allowed on the grass" and wearing a uniform off base was something you thought twice about.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Return to “Off-Topic”