Bad firearms 101 in TV and Film

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

barres
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Bad firearms 101 in TV and Film

Post by barres »

Abraham wrote:I've more than once read in novels of a guy taking the safety off of a Glock.
Or a revolver...
Remember, in a life-or-death situation, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Barre

TheCytochromeC

Post by TheCytochromeC »

Saw a scene from a movie where Bruce Willis shoots a kid. He points a Super Blackhawk at him and BANG. Didn't even have to cock it :fire

ELB
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ELB »

I can't remember what I was watching the other night when a guy pulled out a Glock and the sound effect was of a revolver cocking. Twice. :lol:

I watch the series Grimm, and it has somebody in the writing/plot team that knows a little bit about guns. Not that they don't stretch things for dramatic effect on occasion, but they also sometimes include details about guns and ammunition that you would think only a gunny would know or care about. In one episode some part of plot turned on the knowledge that 9x19mm ammo was also 9mm parabellum and originated in Germany, and IIRC they worked in si vis pacem, para bellum, which aside from its direct meaning was also the motto of DWM, who first produced 9mm Luger (ammo and pistol). I have a friend who works on the show; he's a gunny, but I don't think he interacts with the writers.
USAF 1982-2005

Jaguar
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Jaguar »

Every time a gun is unholstered in TV or film it makes incessant clicking sounds. I sometimes pull my pistol just to assure myself it won't be noisy.
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -- James Madison

MechAg94
Posts in topic: 4

Post by MechAg94 »

Jaguar wrote:Every time a gun is unholstered in TV or film it makes incessant clicking sounds. I sometimes pull my pistol just to assure myself it won't be noisy.
Yeah, the noisy pistols and rifles in gun scenes is silly. Reminds me of the police and soldier all yelling "hut, hut, hut" in Blues Brothers.

I recall on the Jason Borne movie, some "tactical" guys were arming up in a van on the way to a job and one guys was loading a magazine. They are a couple minutes away and he is loading maagazine.

Topic author
Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

It's hard to beat a character running through a kitchen in the middle of a gun fight and hiding behind a refrigerator door that stops bullets cold.

Don't know about you, but I'd hate to have to move one of those armor plated fridges.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

Scott B. wrote:It's hard to beat a character running through a kitchen in the middle of a gun fight and hiding behind a refrigerator door that stops bullets cold.

Don't know about you, but I'd hate to have to move one of those armor plated fridges.
Well of course a refrigerator stops them "cold." Did you expect 'warm" from a refrigerator? :biggrinjester:

Topic author
Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

... :tiphat:
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

dcphoto

Post by dcphoto »

Jumping Frog wrote:Putting a suppressor on a revolver. :roll:
[youtube][/youtube] :biggrinjester: :cheers2:
ELB wrote:I can't remember what I was watching the other night when a guy pulled out a Glock and the sound effect was of a revolver cocking. Twice. :lol:

I watch the series Grimm, and it has somebody in the writing/plot team that knows a little bit about guns. Not that they don't stretch things for dramatic effect on occasion, but they also sometimes include details about guns and ammunition that you would think only a gunny would know or care about. In one episode some part of plot turned on the knowledge that 9x19mm ammo was also 9mm parabellum and originated in Germany, and IIRC they worked in si vis pacem, para bellum, which aside from its direct meaning was also the motto of DWM, who first produced 9mm Luger (ammo and pistol). I have a friend who works on the show; he's a gunny, but I don't think he interacts with the writers.
To my knowledge, most of the lingo is either made up on the spot by the actors or an "expert" fills in the blanks after the script is written. The writers just add a note like "gun lingo" so somebody else can deal with it.

Dadtodabone

Post by Dadtodabone »

G26ster wrote:
Scott B. wrote:It's hard to beat a character running through a kitchen in the middle of a gun fight and hiding behind a refrigerator door that stops bullets cold.

Well of course a refrigerator stops them "cold." Did you expect 'warm" from a refrigerator? :biggrinjester:
[youtube][/youtube]
"Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris!"

ELB

Post by ELB »

dcphoto wrote:
To my knowledge, most of the lingo is either made up on the spot by the actors or an "expert" fills in the blanks after the script is written. The writers just add a note like "gun lingo" so somebody else can deal with it.
I'm sure that happens, but in this particular episode the specific knowledge was integral to the plot, and they've occasionally done this in other episodes. I was quite surprised, given the usual level of TV gun-handling and knowledge.
USAF 1982-2005

BigGuy

Post by BigGuy »

I'll leave most of the firearm inaccuracies to you guys. But the one big one that bothers me the most I will mention, and that is the one shot that completely incapacitates the bad guy. Bang! He's down, threat over.
Let me preface the rest by pointing out that I'm neither LEO, mil or ex-mil. I've no tactical training, so that probably puts me closer to the "general public" than a lot of you guys. Still, I have to roll my eyes and sigh when:
*The good guy is sneaking up on the bad guy, and his shoes sound like he's got taps on them. All bad guys must be deaf.
*The good guy throws away his gun/knife or what ever to make it a "fair fight."
*The good guys are escaping the bad guys by running up/down a stair well. They check doors on every floor until they find one unlocked and duck into it. The bad guys go right past, never checking any door.
*Standing there with your gun pointed at somebody who has their gun pointed at you, and talking rather than shooting.
*The good guys putting their guns down so the bad guy will talk to them.
*Entering an area (room/warehouse) backlight from the outside.
*Professional assassins being fooled by a drug that slows the heart, and not busting cap in the good guy's head to be sure.
There are many more, and as I think of them I may come back and add to this list. Right now I've got to meet my wife.

Syntyr

Post by Syntyr »

Come on... By far the worst offender the tv series ATeam... Every shoot out they expend somewhere around a thousand rounds of automatic rifle fire and no one I mean not one person gets shot up or killed...

I love it when a plan comes together!
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

Syntyr wrote:Come on... By far the worst offender the tv series ATeam... Every shoot out they expend somewhere around a thousand rounds of automatic rifle fire and no one I mean not one person gets shot up or killed...

but a lot of Jeep CJs roll over, which is cool...
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

MechAg94
Posts in topic: 4

Post by MechAg94 »

Syntyr wrote:Come on... By far the worst offender the tv series ATeam... Every shoot out they expend somewhere around a thousand rounds of automatic rifle fire and no one I mean not one person gets shot up or killed...

Well, they were shooting Mini-14's, so what do you expect?
I like how they always armor plate some vehicle to make it bullet proof and everything bounes off without putting any dents in the plate. Of course, no bullet hits the same point where it might go through.

Last time I watched The Gauntlet, I noticed the movie doesn't how Clint Eastwood armoring the roof of the bus, but he must have as a few hundred guys with M16's, shotguns, and pistols are shooting down through the roof. And there is no friendly fire with cops shooting from all directions. Richochets and fragments would have gotten some of them.

Return to “Off-Topic”