Civil Forfeture

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
tuckerdog1
Posts in topic: 2

Civil Forfeture

Post by tuckerdog1 »

I've been seeing a lot of stories about this lately. Seems it's legal to seize money & property if even the slightest assumption can be made that it could be related to a crime. There is no need for charges to be filed, or an arrest made. Just any lame excuse that the cash you have on your person is more than a normal person might carry, so it must be drug money. There could be a thousand good reasons why you have that money ( going to buy a car for cash, etc. ). But it does not really matter. The stories I've been reading imply the police don't want the truth. They want that money. They get to split it with the feds. In fact, it seems some departments have competitions with other departments to see who can STEAL the most money/stuff. Sometimes, it even gets posted online with the LEO posing with the property/cash. I read one story where an LEO was proud of all the property/money he'd been able to take. Said he'd pull motorists over who were NOT speeding, and use that as an excuse of suspicious behavior. Now this may be legal, but morally, it's theft. And it really has me troubled about trusting police ( which I really want to be able to do ).

I'd like to hear from LEOs about how this issue is addressed at their departments.

Thanks,
Tuckerdog1

cb1000rider
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Civil Forfeture

Post by cb1000rider »

Can you reference recent cases in Texas?

There were some states that were particularly bad about this - Louisiana comes to mind, but I think a lot of that cut out after expose on what was actually going on. I'm not saying it doesn't happen - just curious if you're reading about something recent in our neck of the woods?

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 1

Post by anygunanywhere »

Sure is comforting to know that due process is alive and well in the USA.

/s
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

Hey, it's alive and well assuming you can afford it.

joe817

Post by joe817 »

Troubling indeed! It's not an unfounded claim or some 'internet' news service. Forbes, NY Times, Washington Post have all reported on it. Let google be your friend:

https://www.google.com/search?q=civil+f ... re&spell=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tons of articles on it.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

I'm pretty good with google and this was discussed recently, but I didn't come up with anything in Texas or around Texas that was recent... Just curious if tuckerdog was talking about something in particular and I missed it.

Topic author
tuckerdog1
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Civil Forfeiture

Post by tuckerdog1 »

The only one I'd seen specific to Texas was a video where a smirking police chief ( I believe Harris County ) was testifying before some group ( not sure who ). He was asked what the department did with the seized money. He said they buy things on the wish list that would not be approved other wise. I remember he did mention a popcorn machine. That is referenced in this attached article. I'll dig some more & see if I can't locate the the video.

http://www.texasobserver.org/preying-in ... orfeiture/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

More:

https://www.muckrock.com/news/archives/ ... eizures-r/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nati ... tml#page=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://texasforfeiturelaw.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you go to you tube & type in civil forfeiture, there are plenty of videos there that will make you blood boil.

Tuckerdog1

Jaguar

Post by Jaguar »

I believe the war on drugs and asset forfeitures are parts of the same snake. Why would you end the war on drugs if it meant you would lose your cash flow? Why would you need a war on drugs if there was little profit in it. Make everything illegal and you need more and better to keep the sheep in line, then go full retard at the first sign of noncompliance, like "loosies" or driving a tanks with a turrent mounted machine gun to a anti police brutality demonstration.

I live and work in Palo Pinto county, just this week I saw a huge, black, armored vehicle with "POLICE" written on it pass me going the other way. Population of around 28,000 men, women and children in this county, what the heck? A couple years ago the Sheriff got funding for for a SWAT team, he told the paper they would be used to execute warrants, my question that was ignored was how many people have died serving warrants in this county. Still waiting on that data.

This needs to end. Police are becoming "revnue collectors" first, and public servants second.

My rant, mods feel free to delete if I have violated any rules.
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -- James Madison

MotherBear

Post by MotherBear »

Tuckerdog, I see you're from my neck of the woods -- howdy! If you really want some answers and you're willing to put some time into it, I'd suggest looking at your town's citizens' police academy. A lot of departments offer them -- I know Georgetown does -- and it's just a sort of friendly get-to-know-you type deal. You go for a few hours one evening a week for several weeks (it varies) and they show you around the department, you meet people who fill various roles and tell you what they do and how and why, and at the end there's usually an opportunity to become a volunteer in some capacity. Usually you can sign up for some ride-outs as well. I've been through three of them (different towns I've lived/worked in) and have always liked the resultant familiarity with the general attitude of the local police force. They've been a good opportunity to ask officers questions I might not have the opportunity or comfort level to ask otherwise. If you decide to stick around and volunteer afterward, that only increases. I've liked some departments better than others, but in every case I've been glad of the "inside knowledge." Just a thought. :)

Return to “Off-Topic”