Whistleblower case from 2003 decided at SCOTUS

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
ELB
Posts in topic: 5

Whistleblower case from 2003 decided at SCOTUS

Post by ELB »

http://patterico.com/2015/01/22/air-mar ... eme-court/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In July 2003, the TSA briefed all federal air marshals—including Robert J. MacLean—about a potential plot to hijack passenger flights. A few days after the briefing, MacLean received from the TSA a text message cancelling all overnight missions from Las Vegas until early August. MacLean, who was stationed in Las Vegas, believed that cancelling those missions during a hijacking alert was dangerous and illegal. [NYT article states he first complained to his superiors but nothing changed.] He therefore contacted a reporter and told him about the TSA’s decision to cancel the missions. After discovering that MacLean was the source of the disclosure, the TSA fired him for disclosing sensitive security information without authorization.
http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/14 ... 4_e2qg.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The ex-air marshal sued claiming protection under the whistleblower act. He just now won his case in front of the SCOTUS.
http://patterico.com/2015/01/22/air-mar ... eme-court/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
USAF 1982-2005

baldeagle
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Whistleblower case from 2003 decided at SCOTUS

Post by baldeagle »

Sotomayor and Kennedy dissented. :banghead: :banghead:
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I haven't read the opinion so I'm speaking with little information. If I read the conclusion correctly, the Air Marshal was able to make a whistle blower claim after he told the media that no Air Marshals would be on certain flights. If I'm correct, this is absurd. An Air Marshal tells the entire world that flights will not be protected thus putting hundreds if not thousands of passengers in danger.

While I agree with the whistle blower act, it should not apply to situations like this. His recourse was to report his concerns to someone in government or not at all.

Chas.

CoffeeNut

Post by CoffeeNut »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:I haven't read the opinion so I'm speaking with little information. If I read the conclusion correctly, the Air Marshal was able to make a whistle blower claim after he told the media that no Air Marshals would be on certain flights. If I'm correct, this is absurd. An Air Marshal tells the entire world that flights will not be protected thus putting hundreds if not thousands of passengers in danger.

While I agree with the whistle blower act, it should not apply to situations like this. His recourse was to report his concerns to someone in government or not at all.

Chas.
If I'm reading the OP correctly it said that he did report it to his direct superiors but nothing happened. A general hijacking alert goes out and the response is to pull all Air Marshals? By going to the reporter maybe he was hoping the government would change course and actually protect the planes they're tasked with protecting?
EDC: Sig Sauer P320SC / P238

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

CoffeeNut wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:I haven't read the opinion so I'm speaking with little information. If I read the conclusion correctly, the Air Marshal was able to make a whistle blower claim after he told the media that no Air Marshals would be on certain flights. If I'm correct, this is absurd. An Air Marshal tells the entire world that flights will not be protected thus putting hundreds if not thousands of passengers in danger.

Chas.
If I'm reading the OP correctly it said that he did report it to his direct superiors but nothing happened. A general hijacking alert goes out and the response is to pull all Air Marshals? By going to the reporter maybe he was hoping the government would change course and actually protect the planes they're tasked with protecting?
The whistle blower act is for reporting illegal activities or policy violations, not publicizing critical security information in the media simply because he didn't like decisions made by others. I said report to someone in government, not to his supervisors. Going to the media with some information may be okay, but not when putting thousands of people's lives at risk.

Chas.

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

Chas.
The TSA sent an alert out that there was a high chance of an incident on aircraft. Subsequent to the alert they sent a notice that all air marshal assignments out of Las Vegas were cancelled. The plaintiff was concerned enough to complain to his supervisors but he got nowhere. Once he realized nothing was going to be done he went to the media and revealed that shortly after an alert was issued all air marshal flights out of Las Vegas were cancelled.

I think it's absurd that the TSA would warn air marshals of potential terrorist activity and then ask them to stand down and do nothing. In the air marshal's opinion, the TSA broke the law. SCOTUS agreed.
In July 2003, the TSA briefed all federal air marshals—including Robert J. MacLean—about a potential plot to hijack passenger flights. A few days after the briefing, MacLean received from the TSA a text message cancelling all overnight missions from Las Vegas until early August. MacLean, who was stationed in Las Vegas, believed that cancelling those missions during a hijacking alert was dangerous and illegal. He therefore contacted a reporter and told him about the TSA’s decision to cancel the missions. After discovering that MacLean was the source of the disclosure, the TSA fired him for disclosing sensitive security information without authorization.

MacLean challenged his firing before the Merit Systems Protection Board. He argued that his disclosure was whistleblowing activity under 5 U. S. C. §2302(b)(8)(A), which protects employees who disclose information that reveals “any violation of any law, rule, or regulation,” or “a substantial and specific danger to public health or safety.”
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

CoffeeNut

Post by CoffeeNut »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: The whistle blower act is for reporting illegal activities or policy violations, not publicizing critical security information in the media simply because he didn't like decisions made by others. I said report to someone in government, not to his supervisors. Going to the media with some information may be okay, but not when putting thousands of people's lives at risk.

Chas.
He believed that the TSA pulling all Air Marshals from those flights during a hijacking alert was/is illegal. They are, after all, tasked with transportation security yet they were not providing the security at a critical time. This may be splitting hairs but reporting it to his superiors is reporting it directly to someone in government.

From the courts decision
SCOTUS wrote:Section 2302(b)(8) provides, in relevant part, that a federal agency may not take “a personnel action with respect to any employee or applicant for employment because of

“(A) any disclosure of information by an employee or
applicant which the employee or applicant reasonably
believes evidences
“(i) any violation of any law, rule, or regulation, or
“(ii) gross mismanagement, a gross waste of funds, an
abuse of authority, or a substantial and specific danger
to public health or safety
“if such disclosure is not specifically prohibited by law
and if such information is not specifically required by
Executive order to be kept secret in the interest of national
defense or the conduct of foreign affairs.”
EDC: Sig Sauer P320SC / P238

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

baldeagle wrote:I think it's absurd that the TSA would warn air marshals of potential terrorist activity and then ask them to stand down and do nothing. In the air marshal's opinion, the TSA broke the law. SCOTUS agreed.
I agree that it was absurd, but show me where the SCOTUS opinion agreed that TSA's actions "broke the law." As I said, I haven't read the entire opinion, so it may be there, but I didn't see it.

Chas.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

CoffeeNut wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote: The whistle blower act is for reporting illegal activities or policy violations, not publicizing critical security information in the media simply because he didn't like decisions made by others. I said report to someone in government, not to his supervisors. Going to the media with some information may be okay, but not when putting thousands of people's lives at risk.

Chas.
He believed that the TSA pulling all Air Marshals from those flights during a hijacking alert was/is illegal. They are, after all, tasked with transportation security yet they were not providing the security at a critical time. This may be splitting hairs but reporting it to his superiors is reporting it directly to someone in government.

From the courts decision
SCOTUS wrote:Section 2302(b)(8) provides, in relevant part, that a federal agency may not take “a personnel action with respect to any employee or applicant for employment because of

“(A) any disclosure of information by an employee or
applicant which the employee or applicant reasonably
believes evidences
“(i) any violation of any law, rule, or regulation, or
“(ii) gross mismanagement, a gross waste of funds, an
abuse of authority, or a substantial and specific danger
to public health or safety
“if such disclosure is not specifically prohibited by law
and if such information is not specifically required by
Executive order to be kept secret in the interest of national
defense or the conduct of foreign affairs.”
We're going to have to agree to disagree. The TSA order was not illegal and the Air Marshal knew it. It was irresponsible, but not illegal. The provision in the Act that deals with "a substantial and specific danger to public health or safety" is not furthered by going to the media and telling terrorists that planes are unprotected. Telling the entire world that flights are without Air Marshal protection is not only absurd, it borders on criminal.

Did his report to the media result in the cancellation of the stand-down order?

Chas.

Topic author
ELB

Post by ELB »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Did his report to the media result in the cancellation of the stand-down order?

Chas.
He complained to his superiors, saying the move would imperil public safety. When they failed to act, he contacted a reporter for MSNBC. The resulting news coverage promptly led to a reversal of the travel policy.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/05/us/ju ... .html?_r=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
USAF 1982-2005

Topic author
ELB

Post by ELB »

IIRC, this guy also had numerous other complaints about TSA's and the airline's policies on managing air marshals. He also claimed (elsewhere, not in this particular case, and again, going by memory of a few years ago) that airline and TSA policy made it easy for air marshals to be identified by having their identities and seat locations known to the crew, boarding them separately instead of with regular passengers, requiring a certain style of clothing, stuff like that.

I am normally of the view that one should work hard within the system to change and protect sensitive security information and policies, but I also think there is so much buffoonery in the TSA that I am very inclined to give this guy a huge benefit of the doubt.

ETA: pretty much like the FFDO program, and the 2A in general, I think the reality of the government effort with air marshals was much more interested in managing and controlling the good guys (which is easy and focused on reducing risk that the good guys screw up) than actually taking it to the bad guys (which is hard and entails taking risks).
USAF 1982-2005

Topic author
ELB

Post by ELB »

Also, I just realized the OP left out something important. The reason the air marshal protection was cancelled was to save money. Note that this was in August -- just before the end of the federal fiscal year. (Also note he received this notification as a text message, not exactly a secure means of transmission.) So altho there was believed to be a major threat against airline flights, the TSA chose to cancel air marshal protection rather than scrape up funds from elsewhere. The TSA is huge, I don't believe they could not find something else to draw funds from. Even if it is the wrong appropriation, there are mechanism in place to get congressional approval to shift funds without having a full-blown bill passed through Congress, and I have little doubt at that time Congress would have approved it -- if the TSA had a valid justification.
USAF 1982-2005

Topic author
ELB

Post by ELB »

OK, having read the abstract and the majority opinion, two more comments:

The opinion's recitation of facts fleshes out the situation a bit (paragraph breaks added):
On July 26, 2003, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) issued a confidential advisory about a potential hijacking plot. The advisory said that members of the terrorist group al Qaeda were planning to attack passenger flights, and that they “considered suicide hijackings and bombings as the most promising methods to destroy aircraft in flight, as well as to strike ground targets.” App.16.

The advisory identified a number of potential targets, including the United Kingdom, Italy, Australia, and the east coast of the United States. Finally, the advisory warned that at least one of the attacks “could be executed by the end of the summer 2003.” Ibid.

The TSA soon summoned all air marshals (including MacLean) for face-to-face briefings about the hijacking plot. During MacLean’s briefing, a TSA official told him that the hijackers were planning to “smuggle weapons in camera equipment or children’s toys through foreign security,” and then “fly into the United States . . . into an airport that didn’t require them to be screened.” Id., at 92. The hijackers would then board U. S. flights, “overpower the crew or the Air Marshals and . . . fly the planes into East Coast targets.” Id., at 93.

A few days after the briefing, MacLean received from the TSA a text message cancelling all overnight missions from Las Vegas until early August. MacLean, who was stationed in Las Vegas, believed that cancelling those missions during a hijacking alert was dangerous. He also believed that the cancellations were illegal, given that federal law required the TSA to put an air marshal on every flight that “present[s] high security risks,” 49 U. S. C. §44917(a)(2), and provided that “nonstop, long distance flights, such as those targeted on September 11, 2001, should be a priority,” §44917(b). See App. 95, 99, 101.

MacLean therefore asked a supervisor why the TSA had canceled the missions. The supervisor responded that the TSA wanted “to save money on hotel costs because there was no more money in the budget.” Id., at 95. MacLean also called the DHS Inspector General’s Office to report the cancellations. But a special agent in that office told him there was “nothing that could be done.” Id., at 97.

Unwilling to accept those responses, MacLean contacted an MSNBC reporter and told him about the canceled missions. In turn, the reporter published a story about the TSA’s decision, titled “Air Marshals pulled from key flights.” Id., at 36. The story reported that air marshals would “no longer be covering cross-country or international flights” because the agency did not want them “to incur the expense of staying overnight in hotels.” Ibid. The story also reported that the cancellations were “particularly disturbing to some” because they “coincide[d] with a new high-level hijacking threat issued by the Department of Homeland Security.” Id., at 37.

After MSNBC published the story, several Members of Congress criticized the cancellations. Within 24 hours, the TSA reversed its decision and put air marshals back on the flights. Id., at 50.
The court's decision hinged on their determination that the TSA was trying to give certain internal regulations the force of law when Congress had specifically not authorized them to do so. Under the Whistleblower Act, a government employee is protected from punishment revealing “any violation of any law, rule, or regulation,” or “a substantial and specific danger to public health or safety” unless that specific disclosure is prohibited by law. The TSA fired McLean by claiming he broke a law that prohibited him from disclosing the information that he gave to the reporter.

The Congress, in the Homeland Security Act, authorized the TSA to write regulations concerning the disclosure of sensitive information, but the SCOTUS determined that Congress specifically and deliberately did NOT give force of law to those regulations and rules. The law itself does not specify any particular information that should not be disclosed. In other areas, the Congress did repeatedly give force of law to regulations and rules promulgated by the TSA by mentioning them in the authorization ("law, regulation, or rule"); but not in the particular section concerning sensitive information. So McLean's activity was protected under the Whistleblower Act.

McLean won at the Federal Circuit level as well. So I suppose now the TSA has to make good on the pay he would have received had he not been illegally fired?
USAF 1982-2005

JSThane
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by JSThane »

Even assuming TSA was correct in their "expansion" of their legal authorities here, there's still a fundamental problem: Requiring that all whistleblower complaints against Barney Fife go through Barney Fife is just plain stupid. When you are told to go through your chain of command in order to report what you believe is a violation of law by that same chain of command, you have a very evident conflict of interest around that chain of command. Given the dilapidated and corrupt state of all aspects of the federal government at this point, I wouldn't trust anyone to go anywhere with my complaint, either. So, against law, regulation, policy, what-have-you, it still makes a certain kind of sense that this employee took his complaint straight to the ones who -should- be regarded as his "ultimate employers," the American public.

I imagine that MacLean will probably be awarded back pay, but I'm not holding my breath on the TSA ever giving it to him.

Return to “Off-Topic”