Dog shot at Houston Dog Park

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

SA_Steve
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Dog shot at Houston Dog Park

Post by SA_Steve »

First reports said he shot the dog three times
did that wind up being the truth ?
once or twice ought to be enough
You may have the last word.

Abraham
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Abraham »

SA_Steve,

Yes, you would think so, however I saw a video of two German policemen repeatedly shoot a pit bull with 9mm pistols without it dropping immediately.

It was horror to watch.

They finally managed to kill it, but it took them many, many shots to do so.

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

I've been bit more then a few times breaking up dog fights, my own dogs and others.
Short of a dog attacking a human at the park i go to, I cant see the need. but of course I was not there, and perception of the individual is a valid reason to do things/.
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

ScooterSissy

Post by ScooterSissy »

MotherBear wrote:
The last thing she expected was the other woman to get her gun back.

"We can't have that kind of lawlessness in our public parks," said the woman who illegally had her dog off-leash in a public park.
Fixed it for them. Somehow they missed the irony.

To be clear, I don't think it's open season on illegally unleashed dogs, but those laws exist for a reason and choosing to disobey them is asking for trouble. I don't mind off-leash dogs who are fully under their owners' control, but that's not what I'm seeing here -- and regardless of my personal opinion, it's still illegal. I've known dogs well enough trained to heel right at their owner's side without a leash being necessary. But most dogs I see, especially large ones, aren't even under control when on a leash. And obviously this one wasn't that well trained, if the owner was afraid to walk down the stairs while holding the leash.
I noticed the same thing (though your method of drawing attention is far better than mine).

I thought "the only lawlessness was you letting your dog run unleashed".

LDB415
Posts in topic: 2

Post by LDB415 »

Can one use a stun gun on a dog without killing it? Seems like that and pepper spray would often be adequate.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

bigity

Post by bigity »

This is a tough one with second hand accounts.

I love dogs, whatever breed, but I've been petting a calm dog and then suddenly trying to get my hand out of it's mouth before I lost fingers or had bones broken (it was a old lab that knew me, I think a passing chow set it off).
USAF Veteran|Ex-DoD Contractor|Information Technology
EDC: Springfield Armory XD Sub-Compact 40S&W 3"

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

I would not use a stun gun on an enraged dog as it would add to the problem and feed the rage. An e-collar is an electric remote collar used for training. I have seen two dogs really get into it wearing e-collars and the collar being activated adds to the confusion and rage of the dog.

The time to use the e-collar is when the dog first fixes on the subject. They are worthless for training wives."rlol"

Cedar Park Dad
Banned
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

Aren't stun guns and Ecollars very different things though?

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

LDB415,

I have a great deal of experience pepper spraying attacking dogs.

It works MOST of the time...

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

Cedar Park Dad wrote:Aren't stun guns and Ecollars very different things though?
Yes, but they both work with passing an electrical current through a part of the body. The e-collar uses a vibrate or slight charge that causes a tingle. The charge is adjustable and when turned up to max is about like grabbing a weed burner fence.

Right2Carry
Banned

Post by Right2Carry »

If owners would control their dogs on and off the leash this would be a non issue!
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, an American Soldier doesn't have that problem". — President Ronald Reagan, 1985

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 5

Post by philip964 »

http://www.click2houston.com/news/charg ... k/31698360" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dog Park shooter charged with cruelty to a non livestock animal.

"Animal abuse is a serious offense that will not be tolerated,” said Harris County District Attorney Devon Anderson in a press release. “We take all allegations of cruelty to animals very seriously and pursue charges whenever appropriate."

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Cedar Park Dad wrote:Aren't stun guns and Ecollars very different things though?
They are. I have no experience with stun guns on people or animals. However, I have a lot of experience with the other having trained many dogs for tracking, obedience, and protection. An electric shock collar is a training device that in order to get the desired effect/result must be used that way. To suddenly zap a dog with one when it is in or about to be in a dog fight, in most cases, will make the situation worse. The dog is likely to perceive the shock as an attack.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Schooley

Post by Schooley »

philip964 wrote:http://www.click2houston.com/news/charg ... k/31698360

"Animal abuse is a serious offense that will not be tolerated,” said Harris County District Attorney Devon Anderson in a press release. “We take all allegations of cruelty to animals very seriously and pursue charges whenever appropriate."
I actually knew this guy, went to intermediate and high school with him. He had a real weird nervous "tick" where he would open his mouth (like someone trying to pop their ears) a lot especially if he was called upon by the teacher or if someone put him on the spot. Not sure if he should even be a CHL holder but I guess he wont be anymore :smilelol5:

Seems like he had a predisposition to shoot a nuisance dog if it became an issue. From eyewitness accounts it sounds like he had his mind made up on killing the dog regardless if it was a threat or not.

Whats scary is his actions are now leading people to question if concealed handguns should be allowed at dog parks :banghead:

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Schooley wrote:
philip964 wrote:http://www.click2houston.com/news/charg ... k/31698360

I actually knew this guy, went to intermediate and high school with him. He had a real weird nervous "tick" where he would open his mouth (like someone trying to pop their ears) a lot especially if he was called upon by the teacher or if someone put him on the spot. Not sure if he should even be a CHL holder but I guess he wont be anymore :smilelol5:

Seems like he had a predisposition to shoot a nuisance dog if it became an issue. From eyewitness accounts it sounds like he had his mind made up on killing the dog regardless if it was a threat or not.

Whats scary is his actions are now leading people to question if concealed handguns should be allowed at dog parks :banghead:
IIRC, most dog parks are owned and maintained by the city. They won't have a choice in the matter when it comes to allowing CHLs or not.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Return to “Off-Topic”