Block Robo Calls

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Wolverine
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Block Robo Calls

Post by Wolverine »

My default ring tone is silent. Friends and family in my contact list get a custom ring tone that actually rings. :mrgreen:
"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty."
III

Topic author
Jim Beaux
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Jim Beaux »

Seems Im getting fewer 1 rings lately. Maybe my number is being removed from the call lists.

Life is good.
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

brhalltx
Posts in topic: 2

Post by brhalltx »

No known robocalls today, but I was out all day. No robo voicemails, at least.

jayinsat
Posts in topic: 4

Post by jayinsat »

brhalltx wrote:No known robocalls today, but I was out all day. No robo voicemails, at least.
look for missed calls on your caller ID.
Armed not dangerous but potentially lethal.
CHL Application mailed 10/2/12
Plastic in hand 11/16/12

ELB

Post by ELB »

Is there something for cell phones specifically?

That #$**@!! from "account services" repeatedly calls my cell phone with spoofed numbers from all over the US. I have learned to recognize them (usually) because typically the caller ID will show just a city and name like "Stigler, OK" or a state and country, e.g." CA, USA". I ignore them, figuring if it is a real call the caller will leave a voicemail, but it is a pain in the patooti, and not answering has not reduced the frequency of the calls (often daily). Generating whitelists is tedious, and there are calls I need to take from people I have not spoken to before.

And of course reporting them to the FTC or whoever runs that website is like shouting down a well, with less feedback.

If I ever catch them, :blowup
USAF 1982-2005

TomsTXCHL

Post by TomsTXCHL »

We have a Verizon land line which we keep as our "home phone number", though for everyone that we actually care-or-need to TALK TO like friends & relatives, we use our cell phones.

Since CallerID is easily masked or spoofed these days, we decided to ditch it and are saving $250 a year, but this means that any of the gizmos for conventional phone line filtering won't work for us.

We've set our answering machine to its maximum 6 rings, and most callers don't even wait that long before giving-up on us. And we figure that anyone that REALLY NEEDS to contact us will be patient and leave a message, but interestingly in just a month now w/o CID we have only had a couple of messages.

Next I intend to turn-off the ringer altogether, which now rings quietly on one phone in the kitchen and none of the other wireless phones we have scattered around the house.

Now that I've typed all this out I'm thinking: why keep a landline at all... :o

FrogFan
Posts in topic: 2

Post by FrogFan »

Is there something for cell phones specifically?
I use "Mr. Number" for my Android phone. It works well for me, but YMMV.

Return to “Off-Topic”