automotive experts?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
VoiceofReason
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

automotive experts?

Post by VoiceofReason »

Do we have any automotive experts on the forum? I need some advice about air suspension kits.

I have been retired a couple of years and in August we bought a new Dodge Durango. My wife has been wanting one for years. I knew the ride would be rough but since this is probably going to be our last car I thought I could put up with it.

Well I have metal rods and screws in my back and nerve damage to my left leg and found out I can’t handle the ride. It has the low profile tires which I am sure contributes to this.

I have been looking on the web
http://www.autoanything.com/suspension- ... 044A1.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and http://www.autoanything.com/suspension- ... 044A1.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My question is do air ride kits smooth the ride enough to justify the expense? Also do these kits have two or four air bags?

I would appreciate any information I can get.
God Bless America, and please hurry.
When I was young I knew all the answers. When I got older I started to realize I just hadn’t quite understood the questions.-Me

E.Marquez
Posts in topic: 2

Re: automotive experts?

Post by E.Marquez »

Exspert ? No
Significant exsperance And worked as a motorcycle and truck tech yes.
I'm on my phone and teaching a class now, will look at your links later.
Generally air bags in addition to the stock suspension do not make for a more gentle ride, they are for load control.
Air bags that replace the stock suspension CAN make for a smoother ride but it greatly depends on the auto being installed on and the air bag system itself.
Yes low profile 20" and larger tires with heaver wheels do contribute to a rougher ride in general
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

cheezit
Posts in topic: 1

Post by cheezit »

Air ride with a compressor is adjustable for ride based on pressure. Airbags do leak after time and require replacment.
IM a fan of progressive rate springs, for that reason.

jmra

Post by jmra »

Personally I don't believe anything you do is going to have a major impact on improving the ride of the vehicle. Too much goes into original design that factors into the ride. There are a lot of things you can do to make it worse, but not a lot to make it better.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

lfinsr

Post by lfinsr »

The links you have point to are what I would use for leveling the vehicle when loaded or pulling a trailer and will most likely add to the problem instead of make it better. In my opinion, short of re-engineering the suspension the thing most likely to help would be to rid yourself of the low profile wheels/tires. Many people don't understand the tire is part of the suspension. They can and will make a huge difference...

Not an expert but I used to be 15 years ago... :tiphat:
My guns won't be illegal, they'll be undocumented. :thumbs2:

Topic author
VoiceofReason
Banned

Post by VoiceofReason »

Thanks for the good information everyone. I am going to keep looking and asking questions. There has to be something that will help at least a little bit.
When I was young I knew all the answers. When I got older I started to realize I just hadn’t quite understood the questions.-Me

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Would shocks designed for a softer ride not help? Maybe some adjustable air shocks?
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Topic author
VoiceofReason
Banned

Post by VoiceofReason »

mojo84 wrote:Would shocks designed for a softer ride not help? Maybe some adjustable air shocks?
I don't know. I will have to ask around. Any one else have an opinion?

Dodge has a program where they may reimburse an owner up to $1000.00 for a modification on a car to assist the disabled. The time limit will be up soon so if I want financial assistance on this, I had better “get it in gear” :lol: .

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Hope you are able to figure out something that will help smooth it out for you.

There may be some good info here. http://www.autotrader.com/research/arti ... e-size.jsp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Jim Beaux

Post by Jim Beaux »

Call Dodge. Ask to speak with someone in engineering & tell them your about your dilemma. Be persistent about talking to the right person who can help. Then you might want to call one of the shock absorber manufacturers.

Different tires and shocks will change the ride, the question though - will it be enough?
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

Ok, so, short of redesigning the suspension with an air ride (not add on air bags) apropret wheels and tires, I dont think your going to get what yoru looking for.

Have you considered an upgraded seat?
A suspension seat if available for that platform, or custom installed (to include the air bag interface) would make a HUGE difference in felt shock to the spine, head and neck.
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

FL450

Post by FL450 »

Does the Durango have leaf springs?
I knew of somone that removed several leafs off of their 3/4 ton suburban and added airbags to soften the ride.
They were happy with the results. I am not sure if a similiar option would work on the Durango.
I love the sound smell of jet fuel in the morning.
Fat thumbs + IPhone = errors, please forgive.

Salty1

Post by Salty1 »

The best solution as mentioned previously may be to put in some better seats. The link below for air ride seats may just fit the bill for you

http://www.industrialseats.com/category ... egoryID=23
Salty1

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

mojo84 wrote:Would shocks designed for a softer ride not help? Maybe some adjustable air shocks?

If the stock shocks are over or under dampened, then shocks may significantly help the ride.
Like airbags, typically air shocks are used for additional load capacity. You can often get adjustable shocks (no additional load capacity) that offer different dampening and rebound rates, but they're expensive.
The Durango is IFS (probably coil spring or torsion bar) up front. I was going to throw out that springs may have settled or are worn, but that's not going to be the case on a newer car.

I agree with the air bag assessment. True air ride - like in big RVs may change how the vehicle rides, but the addition of air bags is only likely to make the existing springs seem more harsh.
I'd reach out on the Dodge Durago forums - see if this is a common issue and if there is anything application specific to address it.

If the Durango has an optional wheel/tire package - you could let that go. Install smaller wheels, with larger aspect ratio tires. My father in law has the hemi truck on 20" wheels - the wheels along make it ride pretty harsh.

karder

Post by karder »

have you considered a good seat cushion like airhawk? These may help. I have used them for very rough riding equipment and they make a big difference. I don't know if it would be right for you, but it might be worth a look.

https://roho.com/product/store-products ... k-w-cover/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader.” ― Samuel Adams

Return to “Off-Topic”