automotive experts?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Kenk
Posts in topic: 1

Re: automotive experts?

Post by Kenk »

Choice of tires and tire air pressure will make a significant difference. Car dealers and tire stores typically air tires up to the maximum load pressure instead of the usually lower pressures needed for "light" loads such as just the driver and one passenger.

For example, my car had 2 years of complimentary oil changes and each time I took it in to the dealer, with tires set at 32 psi, it came back out with tires aired up to 45 psi. It rode like a buckboard. It must be a liability thing.

Also, my car (a Subaru Impreza) came with Yokohama tires on 17 inch wheels. I recently replaced the tires with Michelins and the ride quality and noise level was noticeably better.

Hope this helps.

Ken

Rex B
Posts in topic: 1

Re: automotive experts?

Post by Rex B »

Shocks are matched to the spring rate, so changing shocks alone will make little difference. The progressive-rate springs with matching shocks go together.
But the biggest difference in ride is going to be changing wheels from the stock 18"-20" to whatever is the smallest rim diameter you can find that accepts tires the same height as OE. Alternately, if you have to go to a smaller tire, the CPU can be re-programmed to correct the speedometer.
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

Return to “Off-Topic”