Terror group names Mall of America as target

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Terror group names Mall of America as target

Post by Pawpaw »

mojo84 wrote:Containment??
FBI Director James Comey has said his bureau is investigating possible ISIS supporters in all 50 states.
Another observation:

Secretary of State John Kerry says:
“Our citizens, our world today is actually, despite ISIL, despite the visible killings that you see and how horrific they are, we are actually living in a period of less daily threat to Americans and to people in the world than normally,” he said. “Less deaths, less violent deaths today than through the last century.”
National Intelligence Chief James Clapper says:
"When the final accounting is done, 2014 will have been the most lethal year for global terrorism in the 45 years such data has been compiled," Clapper told the Senate Armed Services Committee.
Which do you believe? I'd feel more confident if they were on the same page.
Both statements are true and the key is hidden in the text in red above.

In the last century, the #1 killer, the #1 cause of violent death, was governments. Think of all the wars and all the acts of genocide governments have caused during the last 100 years. Deaths by terrorism wouldn't even make a blip on that radar screen.

This does not mean we can ignore terrorism. Indeed we must fight it as if our very existence were at stake... because it is. It just means those two statements are not mutually exclusive.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

mojo84
Posts in topic: 7

Re: Terror group names Mall of America as target

Post by mojo84 »

Pawpaw wrote:
mojo84 wrote:Containment??
FBI Director James Comey has said his bureau is investigating possible ISIS supporters in all 50 states.
Another observation:

Secretary of State John Kerry says:
“Our citizens, our world today is actually, despite ISIL, despite the visible killings that you see and how horrific they are, we are actually living in a period of less daily threat to Americans and to people in the world than normally,” he said. “Less deaths, less violent deaths today than through the last century.”
National Intelligence Chief James Clapper says:
"When the final accounting is done, 2014 will have been the most lethal year for global terrorism in the 45 years such data has been compiled," Clapper told the Senate Armed Services Committee.
Which do you believe? I'd feel more confident if they were on the same page.
Both statements are true and the key is hidden in the text in red above.

In the last century, the #1 killer, the #1 cause of violent death, was governments. Think of all the wars and all the acts of genocide governments have caused during the last 100 years. Deaths by terrorism wouldn't even make a blip on that radar screen.

This does not mean we can ignore terrorism. Indeed we must fight it as if our very existence were at stake... because it is. It just means those two statements are not mutually exclusive.

In the context of terrorism by extremist, which is the context, I think the two comments are saying the opposite of each other.

If you consider death from other methods and reasons, I might agree with you.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Return to “Off-Topic”