Let's talk knives.

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 3

Let's talk knives.

Post by Jumping Frog »

I've always carried relatively inexpensive, mass-market folding knives. I'd like to get a better quality folder, like a $75-$150 type price range instead of a $30 knife. Not looking to buy a $350 custom knife. (Of course, I say $75-$150 type price range, but it seems when I start comparing choices, I always drift just a little higher in price point. :lol: )

So what brand names should I consider for overall strength and quality of blade and folder?

A couple of names I've read about over the years but know very little about are: SOG, Benchmade, Cold Steel, Spyderco, CRKT, but I am sure there are other good choices I haven't considered.

So what brands do you respect?

Also, they all talk about various steel types used in the blade, but a bunch of numbers and letters mean nothing to me. Can anyone point to a good guide to blade steel types and that explains the tradeoffs discussing how one steel type is better or worse than another.

This purchase would be a self defense knife. I have other pocket knives I'd use for cutting things like rope or boxes.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

joe817
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Let's talk knives.

Post by joe817 »

Good topic to discuss! You're opening up a pandora's box when you ask questions like you did. :lol: The variations and styles are almost infinite and confusing to say the least.

In poking around google, I ran across a great article on steel blade types, the advantages of each, and their disadvantages:

http://bestpocketknifetoday.com/discove ... ife-steel/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The numbers are confusing yes, but IMO, studying those steel types is the best way to make an informed decision. One such steel, S30V seems to offer the best overall performance(again IMO):

"CPM S30V (often simply referred to as S30V) steel has excellent edge retention and resists rust effortlessly. It was designed in the US and is typically used for the high-end premium pocket knives and expensive kitchen cutlery. Dollar for dollar, this is generally regarded as one of the finest knife blade steels with the optimal balance of edge retention, hardness and toughness. Pretty common these days and one of our favorites."

Kershaw makes knives with that kind of steel: Kershaw Knives: Camber - Stonewashed Finish - Black Aluminum - 1678. Sells for $99.95 on one website.

NOTE: I'm NOT recommending that knife. Never had one. Just made that as example of a quality knife in the general price range.

If I were in the market for a quality, folding defensive knife, I'd study that link, and decide on the 2 or 3 quality steel types I'd like in a knife, then start searching the knife websites. I'm sure your choices would be endless, and I don't envy you in your search, but good luck! :tiphat:

Hope that helps.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Jason K
Banned

Post by Jason K »

I don't keep up with steel types as much as I do usefulness of the design to my needs. I really like knives from CRKT, Kershaw, and Ka-Bar for their value and usefulness. You don't have to get the most expensive knife to get a good one.

Are you only considering folding knives? Ka-Bar has the TDI fixed-blade knives....most ergonomic fixed-blade knife I've ever used....

mrvmax
Posts in topic: 1

Post by mrvmax »

I carry a Zero Tolerance and it is by far the best knife I have owned. It is also designed for defensive use (there are several things that make it a defensive knife but one of them being that it is designed so when the users hand is wet the hand does not slip down the knife and cause the user to cut his own hand on the blade). There really is a lot of difference from the cheap knives and those like Zero Tolerance, Emerson etc. BTW, there is a Zero Tolerance for sale on Sigforum now for I think $115.

Topic author
Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

Jason K wrote:Are you only considering folding knives?
Yes, I want to replace the every day folder I carry in my left pocket (weak side).
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Javier730

Post by Javier730 »

I carry an all black kershaw leek. I love it. Best $50 I ever spent.
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

aaangel

Post by aaangel »

SOG Trident.

ive had it since 2007. just be careful when you open boxes with it at work. it looks like a "deadly weapon".
'got to Texas ASAIC.

rotor

Post by rotor »

Benchmade BM-3150 Impel full auto pocket knife. Fits my needs perfectly. Don't take it out of state or to San Antonio.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

My everyday carry: Boker Kalashnikov (One heck of a knife for the money.)

My Sunday-go-to-meeting knife: Piranha P-1

My "just because it's cool" knife: Buck 110 D/A Automatic
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

C-dub
Posts in topic: 9

Post by C-dub »

A little Kershaw Shuffle, with me all the time.

Cold Steel Recon II, half-serrated tanto, with me most of the time.

Kershaw Blur, half-serrated tanto with a broken tip.

SOG Trident, half-serrated. I lost this one for a while, about a year, before finding it again.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Syntyr

Post by Syntyr »

Get a Zero Tolerance 0350. You will NOT be disappointed in any way. Cheap at about $130 (in the world of knives) built LIKE A TANK! Opens smooth and quick one handed. Sharp out of the box although I did sharpen mine up a little more. Locks up nice and tight. Not too big for EDC. The 0300 is a bit big for EDC and at $240 a bit more expensive. But the 0350 hits the sweet spot for me. My first one was so nice. I bought 3 more in case they stop making them.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

C-dub
Posts in topic: 9

Post by C-dub »

Syntyr wrote:Get a Zero Tolerance 0350. You will NOT be disappointed in any way. Cheap at about $130 (in the world of knives) built LIKE A TANK! Opens smooth and quick one handed. Sharp out of the box although I did sharpen mine up a little more. Locks up nice and tight. Not too big for EDC. The 0300 is a bit big for EDC and at $240 a bit more expensive. But the 0350 hits the sweet spot for me. My first one was so nice. I bought 3 more in case they stop making them.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

[ Image ]
I'm working my way up to the ZT's. They are nice. I like the tiger stripped 350's and of course, the 303. Maybe one of these days.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Syntyr

Post by Syntyr »

C-dub wrote:
SOG Trident, half-serrated. I lost this one for a while, about a year, before finding it again.
Nice! I have a SOG Twitch II that I carry when I am in a monkey suit or if I am out with the wife. She doesn't like it when I need a knife when we are out and I flick open my ZT 0350. She gets all paranoid when I have it in public and rolls her eyes. The first time I went to visit her at her office I was helping open some boxes of soft drinks. I pulled out the ZT and went to town and she nearly had a stroke. She said "How did you get that past security?" I couldn't resist so I said "The same way I got this past security" and pulled up the corner of my shirt to display the 9mm XDSC. Boy howdy did I get in trouble when we got home!!! Sometimes I cant help myself I just have to stir the pot!
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

Return to “Off-Topic”