Let's talk knives.

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

teraph
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Let's talk knives.

Post by teraph »

I'm with Syntyr and mrvmax. My Zero Tolerance 0350 is an awesome knife and I love their customer service. I am one of those that I bounce my knife between pockets and I contacted ZT about another clip to help that endeavor. They sent it and the appropriate screws for free. Mind you, the #6 (I believe) torx wrench was tough to find.
On the knife side, I have had mine for over a year now and it has traveled everywhere with me and has survived a lot of abuse between the National Training Center, work and everyday cutting. The only downside some see with it, is its size. If you want the same thing but a little smaller look at SKD Tactical's version, the 0360. That one even has a tungsten glass breaker on it.
http://www.skdtac.com/Zero-Tolerance-03 ... to.117.htm

Otherwise, the SOG Trident, Kershaw Leek or Shallot or the Benchmade Griptillian (normal and mini) are all really good choices as well.
This We'll Defend

Jnsey

Post by Jnsey »

I'm a big fan of Rick Hinderer's design, so I started with a Kershaw Cryo2 blackwash, for $40 it's the best for the money knife I've ever had and I carry it at work. I wanted to jump into a higher end knife and still stay with the Hinderer design so I went with a Zero Tolerance 0560 ($200)and was blown away by it. The Elmax steel was awesome and held a great edge. I still had the need for more Hinderer products so I saved some money and sold some stuff and finally got a real Hinderer 3" wharnie ($400) and wow, no other knife I've ever had compares to the quality of it. Spending that much is not for everyone but I still highly recommend the ZT, it's a great compromise between the 3 knives. But again this is just my recommendations, I would say you need to go to a big knife store and fondle as many as you can (just like a new pistol) to see which one you like best

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

Benchmade.

/thread
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

Topic author
Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Jumping Frog »

Jnsey wrote: I would say you need to go to a big knife store and fondle as many as you can (just like a new pistol) to see which one you like best
Well, I've been perusing online a lot of knives while reading this discussion. However, this suggestion makes great sense.

Anyone have recommendations for the best knife store with widest selection in the northern half of Houston?
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

treadlightly
Posts in topic: 2

Post by treadlightly »

Knives that are purpose-built are cool. I sail, when I can, and found the Boye folding sailing knife to be a philosophically perfect sailor's knife.

The metal is dendritic cobalt steel. You always have microscopic serrations, and it melts through a line under tension. Cutting a line in an emergency can save a life, and the line will almost always be under tension when it has to be cut.

The knife is blunt-tipped, so you won't stab yourself on a heaving deck. The blade is mostly serrated, a little plain (and all nano-serrated with cobalt). The blade locks, it can be opened and closed one-handed, it's got a lanyard loop. On one side is a pocket clip, on the other a marlin spike with a tapered slot to open stubborn shackles. The handle is bright yellow so you can find it in bad conditions.

The features of that knife are a one-to-one fit for my list of what a proper sailing knife should have. It's not a knife for repelling boarders, but for general work and thwarting Davy Jones, it's a perfect knife.

Dan20703

Post by Dan20703 »

I saw CRKT Knives mentioned.

http://www.woot.com/plus/crkt-knives-4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There will always be prayer in schools as long as there are tests.

"It's all about shot placement."- David (Slayer of Goliath)

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

Been carrying a Benchmade 154CM for the last year.

The clip is reversible and though not spring assisted nor a switch blade, I can open it with one hand by a flick of the wrist. Something I practice a few times a month.

:coolgleamA:
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

rentz

Post by rentz »

I have benchmades, spyderco's and a kershaw and I like my benchmade assisted opener the most of all of them but its slightly on the thick side.

For defensive carry, i go to the spyderco civilian (really big though) or the endura wave. I think the delica wave might be the ideal smaller sized carry blade, the endura is great but can be a little long in some pockets.

The wave features great for a fast draw.

Captain Matt

Post by Captain Matt »

C-dub wrote:A little Kershaw Shuffle, with me all the time.
That's a nice utility knife, especially with the bottle opener, but I wouldn't recommend it as a self defense knife. On the other hand, I don't really like folders as self defense knifes after doing some practical HTH training.

My EDC is a Spyderco SALT I for reasons treadlightly will understand, but it's a tool first and foremost.
"hic sunt dracones"

C-dub
Posts in topic: 9

Post by C-dub »

Captain Matt wrote:
That's a nice utility knife, especially with the bottle opener, but I wouldn't recommend it as a self defense knife. On the other hand, I don't really like folders as self defense knifes after doing some practical HTH training.

My EDC is a Spyderco SALT I for reasons treadlightly will understand, but it's a tool first and foremost.
Someone here recommended it and I've been toying with the idea of getting a K-Bar TDI like this.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

joe817
Posts in topic: 2

Post by joe817 »

AndyC wrote: Otherwise, my best personal defense against someone else's knife is to beat feet and get distance before throwing feces, trashcan-lids or bullets. Toe-to-toe isn't fun, and I ain't doing that again :)
:iagree: totally! Truerer words have never been speaked, spoked, spoken. :cool:

Ugly, messy, and awfully chancy....unless you've had specific knife fighting training, which very few have.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Jason K
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Jason K »

C-dub wrote:
Captain Matt wrote:

Someone here recommended it and I've been toying with the idea of getting a K-Bar TDI like this.
[ Image ]
I have the regular TDI....great knife for pocket & belt carry. Never cared for the tanto point on any knife, though...

C-dub
Posts in topic: 9

Post by C-dub »

Jason K wrote:
C-dub wrote:
Captain Matt wrote:

[ Image ]
I have the regular TDI....great knife for pocket & belt carry. Never cared for the tanto point on any knife, though...

[ Image ]
How does it feel in your hand? I keep looking to see if I can spot one in a store somewhere, but to no avail. I am partial to the tantos and also like serrated blades.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Return to “Off-Topic”